1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7.7.5.1 Worm in Install Program

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by johnjjd, Jan 20, 2007.

1. johnjjd

johnjjd Member

BitDefender is detecting a worm (win32.Worm.IM.Licat.J) in one of the installation programs with the new Nero 7.7.5.1 update release.

Is anyone else getting this?

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Where did you d/l your version from.

3. johnjjd

johnjjd Member

Direct from the Nero Web site.

4. joedrumma

joedrumma Guest

No worm detected, but I can't get the update to work. I get as far as a message about removing the old version and a restart may be required, etc. Then nothing. It just shuts down. I also downloaded straight from the Nero site.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  5. joedrumma

joedrumma Guest

After some additional checking, I don't think my problem is related to this. Sorry.

6. EasyOver

EasyOver Member

What was your problem? I also came across the the same virus during install and aborted the process. I am waiting on BD for an update.

7. Zapattack

Zapattack Member

TREND Micro will do a free scan. A second opinion is always welcome.
    Check the HouseCall Option.

8. whompus

whompus Active member

I dont think it is so much a virus. I think it is more of an add click tracker. Which is likely a part of the ask toolbar that is select to install by default with nero. I still dont like those things and never install them. I always do a custom install and never install tool bars. If you just do a normal install and dont scroll down at some point of the install to take the check out of the ask tool bar install option it is installed by default. IMHO tool bars are no good to anyone but the people getting pay for sponsoring them. I am a long time user of nero and love there products. I am however getting leary of there business practices of late. IMOH I can see no reason to attach a tool bar program to an app I purchased. If the program was freeware then it would be another story, but it is not.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  9. joedrumma

joedrumma Guest

Easy Over: I thought maybe it was a virus/worm, because all previous updates had gone perfectly and this one just stopped dead. After trying several things, I decided that since it was hanging up just after the uninstall message, I'd uninstall Nero myself. That's when I found that somehow I had two separate instances of Nero 7 installed. No idea how that happened. I was not able to uninstall either one via "add/remove programs". I went to the Nero site and found their uninstall program, used that, and that did it. After that I was able to successfully update, although I did have to re-enter my serial number. So, my issue was totally unrelated. Sorry for the side trip out of topic!

10. ukuser1

ukuser1 Member

I assume that you have read what is on

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/virus_threat.html

"No Virus Threat in Nero 7.7.5.1

As part of the development of Nero 7, we are using innovative methods to display pictures and videos. Some of these methods were used for the first time in version 7.7.5.1 and adapted to Windows Vista. As these methods were previously unknown to antivirus software manufacturers, this resulted in a virus warning being displayed in some antivirus software during the installation of Nero 7.7.5.1.

In the meantime, these methods have been examined by some manufacturers, have been classified as harmless, and the relevant updates of the virus definitions have been carried out. Once the antivirus software has been updated, virus warnings should no longer appear during the installation of Nero 7.7.5.1.

Warnings in spyware and mailware which appeared while initially installing Nero should also no longer appear after updating the relevant software (e.g. Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy)."

11. johnjjd

johnjjd Member

Thank you for the posting.

I had reported the problem to Nero AG prior to posting it here. I'm sure that report and those from many other Nero users resulted in the notice being added to their download page.