1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc not showing up on monitor ??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sandisk, Feb 5, 2007.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi guys, a weird problem here.

Basically my pc is not showing up on my monitor.

This is my second pc and last week I was putting a wireless card in it when I noticed the card was too big so I just closed up the pc and didn't use it at all until today I bought a belkin usb wireless adapter but now when I turn on my pc, it shows nothing on the monitor.

I thought maybe my monitor had had it but I tried this one I'm using now and another monitor in the pc and nothing, it just says "no signal".

The pc seems to be booting up because when I power it on, the fan starts and it beeps as usual but nothing on the monitor.

I opened up the pc just to make sure nothing loose and everything seems to be ok.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks
    sandisk

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reseat the videocard

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Might sound like a stupid question, but which is my video card ? I have the pc opened here in front of me.

It's a "packard bell i design", serial no. LIE 14500680.

Thanks
    Sandisk

4. ddp

the 1 the monitor is connected to

5. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

It is a silly question lol, obviously it's the one that the monitor connection fits into :)

6. ddp

yes!!!!

7. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

lol!

Yeah I just tried that but still the same, pc seems to be booting up but nothing on the monitor?

8. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

ddp, your a champ!!!!

I just tried that again, taking out the card and putting it back in and when i started up the machine again, windows is back on my screen!!

Thanks very much.

Can I just ask you, does this mean the card is on the way out ? or shall I just continue to use it ?

Sandisk

9. ddp

keep using it for now. also take the card out & use a pencil eraser on the gold contacts on the card's slot connector to remove any oxidation. that might have been causing you the problem.

10. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

I see, grand thanks for the tip ddp.

11. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Sorry an updated problem with my pc ddp :-(

I just put it back together and sat down to use it, when I noticed my cursor wasn't moving ??

So I restarted the pc and still no luck with the cursor moving, then I noticed the keyboard wasn't working either when it went onto the screen saver and I couldn't knock it off.

On this type of pc there is ventilation holes on the top for a fan so I put my hand on it and noticed it's very hot.

I just opened the pc and I'm going to give it a hoover out cause the fan is a bit dusty.

Any way I can sort out the mouse and keyboard? Or is that part of the motherboard?

This was working 100% last wk and all of a sudden all these problems :-(

Any suggestions on this ?

Thanks
    Sandisk

12. ddp

shut down the pc as probably an cpu overheating problem. clean all the fans especially the cpu fan & heatsink assembly.

13. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

I'd say it was an over heating problem as I've cleaned the fans well and the temp has gone down a lot when you touch the top of the pc but the mouse or keyboard still won't work.

It probably did its damage already.

Any way round this? or does this mean the motherboard is gone ?

Thanks sandisk

14. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

I just opened it again and the metal under the plastic fan is boiling hot and that metal is only about an inch or so from the connectors where the keyboard and mouse go, so I'd say that probably caused it alright.

Can my pc be saved or will it cost me :-(

Thanks
    Sandisk

15. ddp

turn it off for a hour or so than turn it back on to see what if working or not. the reason for that is if motherboard has a certain type of fuse, they might reset themselves.

16. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

It's just 12.00am over here now so I'll leave it over night and hopefully in the morning with a bit of luck it will be working.

Throughout the evening, the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work but about 10 minutes ago just before I turned it off for the night, the keyboard started working. I know this because when the pc was starting up, I hit f2 and it brought me to the bios settings.

I know it's a start but still no mouse working as of yet.

Just one last thing for the evening, if the mouse and/or the keyboard is still not working in the morning, can this problem be sorted if I broght my pc to a repair shop?

Thanks again ddp for gettin my pc on the road to recovery, it's really appreiciated.

Sandisk

17. ddp

look at the motherboard & see if can find flat rectangular green objects behind the ps2 connectors & by the usb connectors as these are fuses. will say something like "f1" which means fuse 1 printed on the motherboard beside each fuse.

18. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Just an update on this.

Today I went a got a usb mouse.
    I plugged in the mouse and the usual "new hardware is found" and the mouse started working. Great I think.....and then I plug in the keyboard and the keyboard doesn't work NOR the mouse ???

So I unplug the keyboard and the mouse is working again....I then went and got myself a usb keyboard and that is now working fine along with the usb mouse.

Some sort of a conflict when either the mouse or keyboard is plugged into the ps2 connector??

Anyway I'm happy enough now that my pc is back working :) is strange though the way all these problems happened the same week.

Thanks again ddp for the help getting my pc back up and running ;-)

Sandisk

19. ddp

try another ps2 keyboard as seen that happen before that a bad keyboard caused mouse not to work

20. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi, yes I did try 3 different keyboards in total but still the same.

I think the pc is gone haywire to be honest.

I was/am using the usb mouse and keyboard with no problems until last night I went to set up the usb belkin wireless adapter.

I loaded on the belkin software but as soon as I attached the belkin usb adapter, the mouse freezes and drags across the screen and the keyboard won't work.

I take out the belkin and they work perfect again.

Also when I plug in the belkin adapter to the pc, there is no light at the top of it which I take it it could be faulty.

The belkin adapter is going back today and I'm going to get a refund and buy a good old network card.

I'm still very happy my pc is actaully working at all :-0)

Sandisk

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007