1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best concert or favorite musicians

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by JVC, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JVC

JVC Active member

Thought this would be good as it's own thread, instead of hijacking the "Dumpster" thread....... :eek:)

Best single group concert I've seen, was The Doobie Brothers. I've seen them twice, and both times they were awesome!

Best overall concert was The Atlanta Pop Festival, July 3, 4, & %, 1970.
    Saw Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Mountain, Rare Earth, just to name a few. Probably have more on this later...........

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

my best would have to be def leppard in 1998 i think it was maybe 97, there "slang tour". i have seen them 3 times each on was better than the other. my wifes friend won ticket from WEBN local station here. for her and 29 of her friends. we ate, back stage passes sound check and front row seat got to meat the entire band i have a few pics of me with joe elliot. got them to sign my VAULT cd. was awsome.... ill try and find the pics and post them.

my second best had to be garth brooks around 96 i think waited in line for 16 hours for tickets. was told there was no more then they came back and said he add a 5th night to the show. so we got first dibs on the tickets for that night. 3rd row. the wife has his hat he tossed in the crowd..

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

eminem favourite to listen to.pussycat dolls favourite to watch.

4. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea dontcha wish your girlfriend was hot like them....lolMMMMmmmmmmmm

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

korn, family values tour 1998.

6. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Well I have'nt been concerting as much As I used to when I was one of them Young whippersnapperts ! But a few really Good ones come To Mind ! Dire Straits ( Front row seats You could see 'em sweat ) Frank zappa ( seats not as good but an awesome Show !!!!!!) , ZZ top -Great Show played nearly two hrs.+ , Robert Plant - awesome again , Sting ( Great artist But a major ego ) opening act ( Vinx was better than sting ) Rod Stewart another great show The ladies love tha' Rod ( stewart that is !!!!) & Garth Brooks - Pretty goood as well ! & a few Zydeco/Blues acts , Edgar Winter twice , Johnny Winter , Rita marley , Burning Spear, John Cale ( The HONEY SOIT !) tour ect... Like I told Cincyrob I consider myself mainly a rock & roll fan but I like a lil' bit of everything !

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

heres some pics of the day with Def-Leppard. some pics are kinda dark but you know who it is. awsome concert/day.

lunch with Def-Lep
    [​IMG]

Sound Check
    [​IMG]

Sound Check band
    [​IMG]

Joe elliot and me
    [​IMG]

Joe Signing my cd cover
    [​IMG]

autographed cd cover by Joe elliot and Vivian Campbell
    [​IMG]

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I haven't been going to concerts much over the last few years either. As a musician and on again / off again music teacher, my taste in music is pretty varied ... R&R, blues, classical, jazz. I've seen some of the ol giants in concert ... Joplin, Doors, Cream, Mothers, Fudge etc. etc. I only wish they'd had today's technology back then. Concerts were usually in these acoustically terrible sports arenas or venues not made for that sort of volume. Amplification sucked, mixing outside of the studio was for the most part voodoo and the real icing on the sour cake was the fact that musicians could hardly monitor their performance and things like maintaining timing and pitch and damned near impossible when you can barely hear yourself or the rest of the band. Quality live concerts in those days pretty much didn't exist; studio work was usually really good but the technology just wan't there yet for the live stuff.

I'd have to say that the best live performance I've ever seen/heard was Manhattan Transfer. They're not my favorite "band" by a long shot but I've never seen a live performance done with such technological perfection.

9. behrad

behrad Regular member

U2 Rattle and Hum tour, Sydney Entertainment Center, 1989 (me thinks) :)

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

gerry1- I like the News!, I like Game shows !! LOL!!!!!!!!!! Yes Though I've never seen them live & in the Flesh The Transfer Are Great - It's nice to actually Hear real singers again !!!! Or as 10cc would say ART for art sake ! I realise I've no room to critiscise Me who sounds like a SasQuatch Gargling Broken oyster shells & Battery acid if I attempt to Shower sing !But a lot of artist ( term used loosely coul'dnt get by without the Fancy Digital delays , reverb , ect... I know you can't make a Pigs ear into a silk purse But they try !I forget what it was for but saw Madonna on tv for some benefit concert ( Her Brunette Phase - ) & she was Live apparently without all the Electro-digi-enhancers !!! She souned like a Frog with a smoking habit ! Could have been the P.A. But I think it was her? anyways I agree with you on the transfer ! They're Great ! later Then ! Eldorado Caddy !

11. greensman

greensman Regular member

@JVC,
    Cool thread!
    Saw REO Speedwagon and Styx last year. They can still get 'er done.
    I also got to see Journey before they broke up in the late 80's (is that right when they broke up?) I've seen a few others that I'll mention later.

I agree with cincyrob on the Jimi Hendrix concert. I have 2-3 concert DVD's of him and never get tired of watching that man play. :)

@cincyrob,
    You could have given me a link to this without me having to read through half of the "dumpster diving" thread. LMAO!!!! I actually stumbled onto this by searching for JVC and the "dumpster diving" theme interested me. lol. I'll have to give that a try this week. Muuuaaahhahahahahaha.....

.........gm

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@Greensman

sorry buddy i did just leave ya hanging. lmao. tell ya to check it out and dont give ya the link...lol

my favorite group/band is KISS.if ya cant tell by my profile.
    ive seen them 3 times now twice with the original line up they rock for old timers..lol one of the best light/fire shows ya wanna see.

13. JVC

JVC Active member

Ok, speaking of The Atlanta Pop Festival........... :eek:)
    That was an outstanding three days. The year before, a couple of friends came to my job, and asked me if I wanted to go to "Woodstock"? I asked how we would get there. They said hitchhike. I said no thanks! Of course, when they got home, and told me about it, I wished I had gone. So when Atlanta came up, I wasn't going to miss that!

By the time we got there (six of us drove there), the gates had already been crashed, so it was free. 300,000 people in one spot! There were a lot of bands I didn't see. It was July, and it was hot, so a lot of people went to the river (about a mile away), to swim and cool off. You could hear the music there too. Of course I had to go to the river too, and skinny dip with about 25,000 other people, of all shapes and sizes. You've never seen so many naked people! :eek:) Naked people walked up to the road, and jumped off the bridge. You should have seen all the old men driving by, when they saw all the naked girls! The cops were there to make them move along...... Cops didn't bother anybody.

There was also any kind of drug you wanted. The dealers would yell out, what they had.......Acapulco Gold! Vietnamese! Redbud! Thai Stick! Acid! Mescaline! Magic Mushrooms! Again, the cops didn't bother anybody! Too many people, to try and bust anybody!

There was one in Atlanta, in 1969 also, but Woodstock overshadowed it, and we never heard about it. Here are a couple of links to pics and info about the one I went too:
    http://www.messyoptics.com/bird/APF_00.html
    http://www.messyoptics.com/bird/gbookPAGE.html

I wish we still had these type of concerts. I'd love to go to another one..............

14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@JVC
    would it for the concert or the nakedness or the drugs???lol

i think it was 1990. lynard skynard reunion tour. i was in jacksonville(which is where they started). there was alot of weed going around. seeing all the hippies jammin was a pretty cool sight. we were next to a bunch of guys that was in veitnam, and they were telling us stories about over there and how that era's music really helped them get by over there...

they dont make music like that anymore...
    sound like you got a second chance at woodstock there in atlanta.

15. JVC

JVC Active member

All three! :eek:)

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

by JVC

Now there's a man with his priorities in the right place. Especially for the 70's. lol.

Most memorable concerts were almost 20 years apart. I saw Motley Crew in 1987 and then again in 2005 I think. lol. Man my memory is getting bad and I'm not even 40 yet. cincyrob you like this too?

Anyway they sounded just like I remembered them in 1987 but had way more girls on stage and doin things to each other that should only be shown in the movies. ;O

....gm

17. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

I just stumbled on this thread and thought I would chime in.

I think the single best concert I saw was Meatloaf in 96'. He still had his voice and his stage atomsphere was fabulous.

As far as musicians, SRV. I saw Stevie Ray twice, Soul to Soul Tour and In Step Tour here in KC.

Notable concerts:
    Metallica ...And Justice Tour Seen them 5 times
    Iron Maiden Powerslave Tour Seen them 5 times
    Chicago Seen twice
    Elton John in 1986
    Bob Seger Like a Rock Tour

Strat

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

man i been to so many concerts one of my favs. was

Led Zeppelin in 1975

JVC, i have seen the Doobie Brother many times also (4) great band

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007
  19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

oh yeah i saw Black Sabbath in 1972 wow i was blown away. i will post them as i rember them lol

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

damn AABBCCDD how old are you? would love to have seen Zeppelin and Sabbath. i was like 6 back then.....had a chance when i was 9 in 1978 to see KISS. alive tour but my mom wouldnt let me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.