1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

minidv is what?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by tarantula, Aug 19, 2003.

1. tarantula

tarantula Member

well i have read some posts and replies but i haven't found the answer to my questions
    first of all, people here say that they can capture video from minidv casettes to a pc. i was planning to buy an expensive video card with s-video in input, but now i am confused. can i capture video from minidv with a simple firewire port? if so how?, i have a JVC-DVL770 camcomder.
    right now, i plug it with usb connection, i don't have ieee port.
    and one thing that confuses me, when you link cam to the pc with ieee, does pc see the video in minidv as a file like a videofile in cd etc.?
    how long does it take to capture the video from minidv to pc? suppose i have an supercomputer amd barthon 2500 with 512 ram?
    thank you all who enlighten me...

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Capturing video digitally from minidv cams through firewire works indeed. You need software like Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio etc, as the cam isn't seen as removable drive or similar. AFAIK USB connection is for transferring fotos only in most cases. Capturing through firewire works in realtime (cam in playback mode), the captured .avis are huge (1h = ~14GB), so enough HDD space is necessary; works with athlon 1300 + 512mb SDRAM133 flawlessly here.

3. Fibre

Fibre Guest

tigre hit the nail on the head.

DO NOT USE USB to cature video. Drops frames like crazy. I have a JVC MiniDv I use Premiere to caputer (via Firewire [IEEE]) and edit my videos flawlessly, not one frame dropped.

USB according to my JVC MiniDv mannual is for using your cam as a web cam not capture.