1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need a definition....

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hk2npck, Aug 23, 2003.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

this is gunna sound dumb....but i do not what kiloherz heans when used in relation to audio. little help?

2. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

I also had one other question...i have altec lansing 220's. i have some mp3s...and it seems that i hear crackling in the backround. is this the speakers? i am using auto EQ settings in winamp...

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. KHz refers to the range of sounds your speakers can play... the 2 sattelites aim to around 20Khz while the sub aims for as low as it can stably go.
    2. Also you can check the windows base/treble settings as well as any soundcard specific settings you may have

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Anything over 44KHz is pretty useless, since i believe the human ear can only pick up a max around 22KHz

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Pardon........

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

OK - i could be wrong here, but ill say it anyway ;-)

CD's are mastered somewhere near 44.1KHz, twice the pick-up of the human ear. This range is set so that there will be no out of range area. I thought the Human ear picks up a frequency to 22KHz. Am i wrong.

I know, ill send the audio expert Wilkes down to here to have a look and maybe he can laugh at me...aherm...point out if im wrong or not :)

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I believe (although perhaps incorrectly hehe), you are correct. Human hearing does not often exceed the range of 20Khz hence that is what most speakers aim to be able to hit for the top end (for low end, they aim to go as low as they can without ripping the speaker apart hehe). CDs are typically done in 44.1Khz, 16bit (and.... needless to say, stereo) :)

A 'hertz', or 'Hz' is just "one cycle per second". For instance if you were you grab a string make it vibrate like a sine curve for instance.... one (audio) "cycle" or "hertz" would be equivalent of a complete cycle of the sine function:
    ----A-A-------------A
    ---A----A----------A
    --A-------A-------A
    -A----------A----A
    A------------A--A

(Okay so its not the prettiest picture hehe but it gets the idea across) Now a kilohertz, obviously is is 1000 of these cramed into one second and a megahertz and gigahertz is million and a billion respectively (this makes you wonder why all these high powered CPUs dont rip themseelves apart hehe)._X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2003
  8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Okay - the sample rate of 44.1 KHz is set because of a few reasons. As Oriphus pointed out, the stated maximum for human ears is around 20KHz. Nyquist says that the sampling rate must be at least double the value of the highest frequency to be encoded. To really complicate things, it's equally important that no signal greater than half the sampling frequency even enters into the digitization process, or else you will get the phenomenon known as "aliasing". In a perfect world, you'd simply put in a low pass filter before the AD stage which would pass everything before this point and immediately slap infinite attenuation on everything above it. Such filters do not exist though, as we cannot yet make the slopes steep enough.
    Now we enter the high sample rate argument, which is another one altogether. A lot of people say they can hear above 20 KHz, and a lot of other people say all you are hearing is the filtering, or lack of it.
    I'm going to collect all my thoughts on this and post in the high resolution forum if anyone is interested.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member