1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Harddrive... problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Shikaku, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Shikaku

Shikaku Member

Ok, i'm not exactly stupid... but I don't how else to explain this... My friend's portable Western Digital MyBook 400 GB harddrive just unformatted itself. He was using it just fine, no problems. The next morning he plugs it in and the computer tells him that the disk is unformatted. We've tried several different computers, they all register the disc is unformatted. Any suggestions/solutions to convince the computer that it is formatted. I would really like to use reformatting the drive as a last and very... VERY desperate resort. Unless someone can give me a program name to restore files after reformatting.

Thanks a million... and yes... this is gay, and i'm not joking...

2. elokito

elokito Regular member

MY solution (which works) format it,dl/install "recover my files" (google it) run the program select "fast format recovery" once it starts click cancel,then yes then it will scan the hard drive with all the files and folders with their name

3. steimy

steimy Active member

have used that program myself, and it works nice.
    I accidently deleted a folder full of stuff i needed and it was able to recover all the files for me.

4. Shikaku

Shikaku Member

Thanks a lot guys! I got the program and it worked beautifully! Took like 14 hours to do the complete scan on a 400 gig hard drive but its worth it.

5. elokito

elokito Regular member

yes it takes LONG but if clicked cancel after choosing quick format recovery it will automatically do another scan very fast like 1 min max and all the files would b in their original folders