AfterDawn: Tech news

Oscar screener pirate busted

Written by James Delahunty @ 23 Feb 2007 2:42 User comments (14)

Oscar screener pirate busted A man faces up to three years in prison after he admitted to uploading an Oscar Screener copy of the movie "Flushed Away" on the Internet. 27 year-old Salvador Nunez Jr. obtained a DVD Screener copy of the movie from his sister, who is an Oscar voter. The pirated copy of the movie was tracked back to her from watermarking used on Oscar screeners.
Nunez admitted to also uploading "Happy Feet", however, only Flushed Away was found on his Hard Disk Drive when the FBI investigated. Movie screeners regularly leak onto the Internet, especially around Oscar season. Back in 2004, actor Carmine Caridi was fined $300,000 after giving screener copies to a friend, Russel Sprague.

Sprague was busted for uploading several copies of the movies on the Internet but died in prison in March 2005 while waiting to be sentenced.

Source:
Betanews

Previous Next  

14 user comments

123.2.2007 14:50
webe123
Inactive

I guess these idiots didn't know how to remove watermarks BEFORE uploading them to the net? No wonder they got busted!

223.2.2007 15:36
tabletpc
Inactive

you cannot remove the watermarks on these dvd's there high encryption most of them are not easly ripped

323.2.2007 16:12

MPAA = Movie Pirate Association of America

423.2.2007 19:47

Originally posted by tabletpc:
you cannot remove the watermarks on these dvd's there high encryption most of them are not easly ripped
Umm... actually I am sure you could find something that would remove the watermark. Its probably extremely small and heck, if the movie companies are smart they might only include it on one or two frames so the human eye doesn't notice it.

The movies could easily be ripped as they are often put online for download but, removing the watermark would take a little bit of work.

523.2.2007 22:39

Quote:
It doesn't matter how good protection it has, you can always record it through a capture card.

624.2.2007 10:33

I think that these people did not want to go through the extra effort if getting rid of the watermarks because it was time consuming. Well now they will get so much time. :)

724.2.2007 16:45

they aren't always visible watermarks.

824.2.2007 18:01
tabletpc
Inactive

the water mark works like this

they place a watermark in the corner of the dvd then the dvd is ripped and placed on bittorrent and p2p networks with one problem

most oscar dvd's communicate with a server via online so that they can track where the dvd goes to so not only are you dealing with a water mark busting the person they can check the hidden online file to confirm who the dvd was originally linked to to file charges worse if your caught with these water marked dvd's you will face more charges of jail time so it is a good idea not to download oscar dvd's i know several people who had been busted and several stores here in the u.s who have been busted all it took was a search warrent and a search of his computer for the hidden file

924.2.2007 20:00

Are these marks on the ones I buy in like Walmarts and what not and then I back them up????

1024.2.2007 23:53

Anyone with a concise explanation of a "watermark". Visible or not and how to remove, would greatly help this debate.
Clearly, screeners are given out with great discretion and now more than ever it's important that they be uploaded properly. Jail time for Flushed Away! How embarrassing, sitting next to your celly serving life for multiple homicicides!

1125.2.2007 00:19

depending on where the watermarks are at on the dvd's they can be blurred out, also most of Oscar Screener dvd's have special players that will play the special disks, for theese Screener disks, also once the disk has been copyed the encryption is gone, also pop_smith,you state (if the movie companies are smart they might only include it on one or two frames so the human eye doesn't notice it.) they tryed this years ago it is called sublimitall advertivising and it is against the law, so nice try, also the person who let the screaner out of thier hands get in trouble, and dose not get this again, and as far as stores that have the boot screeners they should know better, so they get what they deserve,

1225.2.2007 07:08

Originally posted by rdmercer1:
depending on where the watermarks are at on the dvd's they can be blurred out, also most of Oscar Screener dvd's have special players that will play the special disks, for theese Screener disks, also once the disk has been copyed the encryption is gone, also pop_smith,you state (if the movie companies are smart they might only include it on one or two frames so the human eye doesn't notice it.) they tryed this years ago it is called sublimitall advertivising and it is against the law, so nice try, also the person who let the screaner out of thier hands get in trouble, and dose not get this again, and as far as stores that have the boot screeners they should know better, so they get what they deserve,
If its not produced for the public and is very limited and controled I doubt the subliminal advertising when tis not adverts would count.

1325.2.2007 08:26

It appears that this Screener problem is bigger than Hollywood or CINEA wants to admit. I'm willing to bet someone on the inside is leaking these titles to the street circumventing the internet all together. In turn these screeners are purchased on the street and the buyers are ignorantly uploading them to websites were they can be monitored. The reason I say this is because an unbelieveable amount of new movie titles (still in theaters)are out there in DVD format some with menus even? These title don't even have a DVD release date yet and the watermarks have been edited out.

On the topic of watermarks, though it is true that it is nearly impossible to remove them there are titles that I assume have been re-edited reducing the aspect ratio i.e. a movie that has say an annoramic ratio of 1.85:1 with the help of editing software is being altered to be viewed at a letterbox aspect ratio 2.01:1 thus covering the watermark which strangely enough runs along the bottom of the screen instead of maybe the middle and viewable portion of a given film? Add a Menu screen and chapter menu and your left scratching your head as to where these well edited screeners or DVD copies are coming from?

Hollywood has a problem and the problem is companies like CINEA have oversold their capabilities and Hollywood is foolish to trust anyone to privately view its unreleased product in DVD format for any reason as people in general just can't be trusted in this age of internet access and file sharing. Why not not send these select viewers free passes to scheduled private screenings? Sounds too much like right, right. These screeners are a pirates wet dream as they reduce their need to hang out in movie houses or theaters with portable digital movie equipment that produce poor quality copies. Instead the expected DVD quality is being produce and served up by none other than Hollywood themselves in the form of a DVD screener:(?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Feb 2007 @ 6:17

143.3.2007 21:12

I'll bet someone in Hollywood land wants these screeners to leak out so they have some paths to follow. Leads them right to who their looking for.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive