1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IRC newbie guide

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by darthnip, Aug 27, 2003.

1. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

[bold]IRC Newbie Guide![/bold]

Ok so you want to get on IRC. Good!! Great place to be. This guide was written for the person that has never used IRC and has no idea how to get on. These are simple, basic instructions for setting a nickname and connecting to a network and channel. Although you can get to IRC with emule, I must recommend a script. For starters lets use the basic mIRC script which is available for free at www.mirc.com . Once you get it and get it installed, open it up and go up to [bold]file[/bold], then [bold]options[/bold]

[​IMG]

You will need to make a nickname and an alternate nickname (nick) and insert it the fields provided. Later we’ll learn how to register that nick. You will also need to put something in the [bold]full name[/bold] and [bold]email address[/bold] fields; you can use whatever you want (for instance, for the name put none and email address put none@none.org). Above the button that says [bold]Connect to IRC Server[/bold] you can go in and find different servers to connect to. But this can also be done manually if you know the server name. Ok, now you got your nickname and alternate nickname set hit [bold]OK[/bold] and the window will close. Look for the [bold]status[/bold] button. Click it and this window will open up. Notice in the field of the status window, we manually type the server we want to get on. In this case we’ll use rod.liquidirc.com so you’ll want to type [bold]/server irc.stormchat.org[/bold] (all IRC commands start with [bold]/[/bold] , like [bold]/join[/bold], or [bold]/server[/bold], or [bold]/msg[/bold].

[​IMG]

After you type in the server command just hit enter. After it connects you’ll see a bunch of stuff scroll in the status window, you’ll know it’s connected if the little lightning bolt at the top left appears broken. It will also say what network you are connected to on top of the status window. Now in the status window type the syntax to join a channel, which is [bold]/join #ad_buddies[/bold] (the # symbol means channel, in this case we are using the channel #ad_buddies) so you’ll want to type [bold]/join #ad_buddies[/bold] and the channel will open.

[​IMG]

OK so now you got yourself on IRC, now we want to register that nickname with nickserv so you can keep it. In any window, status or the channel you’re in (doesn’t matter because you are using a command so it wont go in the channel) type this to register your nickname [bold]/msg nickserv REGISTER password email address[/bold] -- replace [bold]password[/bold] with a password for your nick, and replace [bold]email address[/bold] with an email address. The word register must be in all caps. You’ll get a message telling you that your nick has been registered with nickserv and to remember your password. So next time you sign on to that network, it will remember you if you keep the same nick. No one will be able to take that nickname unless they know that password. Every time you sign on to a network you’ve registered with, you’ll get a message saying that your nickname is registered and you need to identify or nickserv will change your nick for you to something generic. You will need to type this command to identify to nickserv [bold]/msg nickserv IDENTIFY password[/bold], but replace [bold]password[/bold] with your password. But this is a pain to have to do every time you sign on so we need to set up the script to automatically identify to nickserv when you sign.. Go back up to [bold]file[/bold], then [bold]perform[/bold] , anything you want to happen when you join can be put in here. So you’ll want to type [bold]/msg nickserv IDENTIFY password[/bold] – make sure to have the enable box checked or it wont work. When you connect to the network, in the status window you’ll get a message saying Nickserv password accepted – you are now recognized.

[​IMG]

You can also use this area to automatically join channels when you sign on, just put the same command you’d use for joining a channel in here and it will do it when you sign on to the network. Ok that’s about it, you’re on IRC, you got a registered nick, and you’ll identify to nickserv when you sign on. Any more info can be obtained from the channel you’ll get in to following this guide, there are a lot of Afterdawn users in there to help you out, plus there will be an advanced guide coming soon.
    Here are some points to remember;
       1.  All IRC commands start with /
       2.  You can PM someone in a channel by double clicking on their name in the right side of the screen, it will open a PM window.
       3.  If you don’t set up to auto identify and you’ve registered your nick, your nick will be changed by nickserv within 1 minute of signing on.
       4.  Some of the users in the channel have the @ symbol in front of their nicks, these are the channel operators and they have the power to kick and/or ban you from the channel, and just like the moderators on Afterdawn, never argue with an Op.
       5.  Someone with the ! symbol in front of their nick is the channel founder, and has more power than the Ops.
       6.  Most networks now are moderated by Chanserv, which protects from flooding and other attacks.
       7.  Once you’re on IRC, you can make your own channels anytime by simply joining it, like [bold]/join #my_own_channel[/bold].

This guide should get you going, but if not, feel free to post any questions you may have, but please read all of this guide first.
    Enjoy,
    Darthnip

[bold]EDIT*** We have moved to the villageirc network. So when you join the server use /server irc.villageirc.net (#afterdawn).[/bold]
    _

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Wow! Awesome guide Darth!

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

It is indeed a lovely guide so now everyone flock to #ad_buddies lol

4. darthnip

i just did the writing man, YOU made it lovely :) thanks for the code and the tips. thats why i wanted you to review it Mr.Guideguy

5. Dela

Anytime man :) lol

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

[bold]darthnip[/bold]

cheers for guide m8 ; )

7. medialife

medialife Member

Here's a newbie question for you: when I join IRC dumps or whatever they're called to download from bots, and it's my turn and the bot tries sending me the file, my IRC rejects it. It then says I have 90 seconds to change my settings, or something along those lines.

I changed my firewall support to (None) and my Ignore setting to disabled, but I still can't accept downloads...any suggestions?

8. Dela

Did you set your client to auto accept, also did u untick "turn ignore back on after" ??

9. medialife

medialife Member

Autoconnect - not sure?

Turn ignore back on - unchecked

10. Dela

auto accept, under dcc settings!

11. medialife

medialife Member

Oh yea, that's set on auto-accept.

:/ Any other suggestions?

12. darthnip

is this on all bots or just one? are you actually getting an error or does it just not connect? if you come on our IRC channel, msg me and i might be able to help you out, or at least do some testing to narrow the problem down.

13. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Im deciding to give IRC a shot even though i am clueless but i gots some questions.

i looked there and other places and they all free for like 30 days then you have to register for like 20 bucks

whats the deal?

14. darthnip

you never have to register it, and it's just a generic client anyway, there are hundreds of other places where you can get scripts like you can get a great script called excursion at excursion.cjb.net or go to somewhere like www.ircscripts.com or something and grab any other scripts, there are many out there. or you could just try google for irc scripts

15. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

hi i just got mIRC and ive been following the guide but when i try and connect to rod.liquidirc.com it just keeps saying unable to resolve server any suggestions?

P.S
    Did type /sever and i was connected to the internet

16. darthnip

that server is dead - we have moved to irc.addictz.net

17. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

cheers man im sure ive got a thew more questions to come as i dont understand much of it yet

18. Praetor

Make sure you type /server and not /sever :p

19. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

HA HA dont worry i did.This whole IRC thing is still confusing the hell out of me i want to learn more about it for file sharing as ive heard its loads better than p2p programs and plus if you have seen my thread on the file sharing board my mother signed up to gettingmovies.com thinking she would be able to download movies instantly from that site but it seems to me that its just one big guide on how to get movies like it says for beginners you will be better off with kazaa ect. then for the bit more experienced IRC.it just says they get access to FTP dump sites and download as much as they want and has links to get kazaa and file sharing tools ect anyway since i have no clue about anything i just want to get use out of it and get movies so i guess i need to no every thng i need to know about IRC and getting movies,mp3's ect from it since it turned out to be a very exspensive guide sorry its quite hard to make any sense
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]There's no such thing as a lost cause
    it just has to be found[/small]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2004
  20. Praetor

Those online 'things' typically turn out to be a lot more hassle/trouble than they are worth although Ive had no personal experience. Personally I think its just an exploit of people's lack of knowledge but I could be wrong.