AfterDawn Forums

HOW TO USE USB FLASH DRIVE AS A MEMORY CARD(FOR PS2)

This discussion thread has 22 messages.

2HOTT4U Suspended due non-functional email address
HOW DO U USE UR USB FLASH DRIVE AS A MEMORY CARD, is it possible?
sum1 plz help, im gettn a messiah2 mod chip
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Mar 2007 @ 9:55
▼▼ This topic has 21 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
It dont think thats possible, you can get bigger memory cards, like 64mb, but you cant get a usb flash drive to work as a memory card.
Can you use a memory card as anything else besides something to transfer save data? *reffering to my topic*

Shobusky
You can copy elf files onto, these are basically applications that you can later load of the memory card, for example a media player, but not other files, its only 8mb, too small to hold much data.
Ah true.

What kind of Media Player files are suggested for this? Do they play any file you have on a hard drive? Or, are they basically the same as Magic Swap and let you only use 4 files (Which I can't even figure out how to do so)

Shobusky
I use to use swap magic, until i got a matrix chip, cant remember how to load them on swap magic, what you do, is make a folder on your usb flash drive, called "swap magic", or something like that, and u copy the files in there, naming them dev1, dev2, or something like that, i might be mixing up with something else. But you should be able to check on the swap magic website on how to do it.
Go here

Quote:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/473900

download the compilation of tutorials, eiher the pdf or m$word version.

on page 107 there is a tutorial on how to load programs off swap magic.

read thru the rest, u may find a tut that may help.

Wii D2E w/ solderless wiikey2
GDR-8163B hooked up via external usb 2.0 case

PStwo v15 SCPH-77002
Pioneer 109D DVD Burner
Awesome! Thank you so much!

I'll try it out.

Shobusky
Ok, these are basically a more in-depth guide to the instructions.

My first query is:

Is it certain you are only allowed 4 programs in your Swap Magic directory at once? You can't just plug in a USB or Hard Drive and watch whatever is on there.

And second:

Quote:
- rename the ELF program you want to launch to SWAPMAGIC.ELF
- create a folder named SWAPMAGIC in the root directory of your USB mass storage device and then put the SWAPMAGIC.ELF file in that folder
- plug in the USB mass storage device into your PS2
- power on your PS2 with your Swap Magic disc
- if the program is found in "./SWAPMAGIC/" it will be launched automatically

What is the ELF program I want to launch? What is this SWAPMAGIC.ELF?
I simply wish to find out what I need to put in certain places, and where I get those things.

Thanks

Shobusky
ELF files are programs for PS2.
ELF files are for the PS2 as EXE files are for Computers.

i have never used any of the said above programs as m waiting of swap magic to arrive (only recently bought it online)

from what i understand, u can only have 4 ELF (program) files in the swapmagic folder as there are key combinations u use with the PS2 controller to select which one u want to load within the swap magic menu.

Reality Media Player Pro seems to be a very popular ELF file that when loaded will play media files from the PS2.

it can be found here
Quote:
http://www.exploitstation.com/index.php?page=elfs
about 10 up from the bottom of the page

i have not used this ELF and do not know how to use it or what type of media files it plays, but it seems popular so maybe another member might help u out with that.

PStwo v15 SCPH-77002
Pioneer 109D DVD Burner
found this
In other words, if you are using swap magic, install uLaunchELF (here) using the following method:
1. Rename your program to SWAPMAGIC.ELF
2. Create a folder named SWAPMAGIC in the root directory of your USB Key and then put the SWAPMAGIC.ELF file in the folder.
3. Plug-in the USB Key to the USB port of the PS2 and then boot your PS2 with SwapMagic. If the program (SWAPMAGIC.ELF) is found in "../SWAPMAGIC/", it
will be launched automatically.

or also:

You can put maximum 4 files in the SWAPMAGIC folder at the same time. But, you need to rename those programs to SMBOOT0.ELF, SMBOOT1.ELF, SMBOOT2.ELF and SMBOOT3.ELF respectively.
2. Plug-in the USB Key to the USB port of the PS2, then boot your PS2 with SwapMagic.
3. When the title screen appears (you will see 2 options: Load Program and Video Mode), you can press:

A. "UP+L1" buttons to load SMBOOT0.ELF
B. "UP+L2" buttons to load SMBOOT1.ELF
C. "UP+R1" buttons to load SMBOOT2.ELF
D. "UP+R2" buttons to load SMBOOT3.ELF

key combinations that will load each of the 4 elf programs smap magic will let u have.

P.S. does anyone know how i can edit my posts so i dont have to keep adding new replies ???

PStwo v15 SCPH-77002
Pioneer 109D DVD Burner
Well, I'm using SMS Media Player, which is successfully working.

Only problem is, they read what is on the disc, rather than what is on my flash/pen drive.

What format must the media on my flash/pen drive be in order for me to watch it, please?

Shobusky
if player is successfully working off usb pen, then it is formatted correctly. if will not look for media on usb hdd or usb pen, or ide hdd. try diff player like that reality media player, its only 2.1Mb i think.

but if u insist on trying diff formats. try FAT32, followed by just plain old FAT, or lastly NTFS. one of em has to work. have a play around till something works

PStwo v15 SCPH-77002
Pioneer 109D DVD Burner
Ok, thanks.

Well, i've reached a point I don't understand.

I am using SMS, and it's booting and working. I just can't get it to realise my USB is in there.

I'll point it out in the following:

Quote:
3.6. Playing video files from a USB mass storage drive connected to the PS2
You can play audio and video files from a USB stick connected to the front of your PS2.

SMS is capable of reading files from a USB drive, but due to liscencing issues, the USB driver USBD.IRX is not included with the SMS distribution. SMS looks for it in the following folders:

host:USBD.IRX

mc0:/BOOT/USBD.IRX

mc0:/PS2OSCFG/USBD.IRX

mc0:/SYS-CONF/USBD.IRX

mc0:/PS2MP3/USBD.IRX

mc0:/BOOT/PS2MP3/USBD.IRX

mc0:/SMS/USBD.IRX

A suitable version of USBD.IRX can be found within the distribution of naplink: naplink-ps2-v1.0.1a. This can be found at http://naplink.napalm-x.com/.

Download the above zip file, and open it up inside you will find a file called npm-usbd.irx. Copy this file to a local folder on your computer, then rename it to USBD.IRX (must be in capitals). Then use an FTP program or other method to copy the file to one of the above locations. Next time SMS starts up, it will have USB support enabled. You won't see any difference until you plug in a compatible USB drive. Then you will see a new icon as shown below. Press RIGHT to select this icon and browse the USB drive.

What I don't understand is written in Bold above. If someone could please help me, it would be much appreciated.

I have the media and all, I just don't know what the heck they mean by Folders.

Shobusky
i kno that mc0:/ refers to the location of memory card slot 1. on the PS2.

so i'g guess that, i have to get the USBD.IRX from http://naplink.napalm-x.com/.

extract npm-usbd.irx" from what u just downloaded. to your comp. and rename it to USBD.IRX (all Caps)

then use a FTP ELF to transfer file from your computer to your PS2 via a cross-over ethernet cable. into the ethernet port in the back of the PS2 ( if u have one) or into the network adapter.

use the ELF to transfer file into a exploited Memory Card in slot 1.

PStwo v15 SCPH-77002
Pioneer 109D DVD Burner
Ok, thanks for that.

I've done everything and now it's working on my PS2.
Only problem is, video files are being played as mp3's, and there is only sound (and thats static as it is), and no picture (except the basic blue bubble background of SMS)

Shobusky
i'd say that would be the media player u r using. it may b oly capable of playing mp3's.

try the other player i suggested

PStwo v15 SCPH-77002
Pioneer 109D DVD Burner
Ah, ok. Thanks.

Is that very hard to set up? Or is it the same as setting up SMS?

Shobusky
honestly i wouldnt kno, i got a PS2 slim, but waiting on swap magic in the mail.

all my knowledge is theoretical from reading hundreds of posts.

just download it. try it. use this forums search bar to search for psosts dealing with the reality player pro. and possibly look for a homepage or website for the program....

PStwo v15 SCPH-77002
Pioneer 109D DVD Burner
Ok. Thanks.

Oooh, that SMS is working now. Thanks for all the assistance ^_^

Shobusky
Originally posted by 2HOTT4U:
HOW DO U USE UR USB FLASH DRIVE AS A MEMORY CARD, is it possible?
sum1 plz help, im gettn a messiah2 mod chip

You cannot use a USB drive in place of a memory card. You can however, transfer game saves from a memory card to a USB drive for storage. The caveat being that you can't load/save game saves from the USB drive.

In regards to transferring games saves (like the ones on GameFAQs) to a memory card, you have the option of using Codebreaker/Action Replay OR running an exploit and using uLaunchELF w/ Savebuilder (see http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/366481 ). The latter is kind of a moot point though (unless you have already done the exploit), since most methods involved in getting the exploit to run require Codebreaker/Action Replay to transfer the relevant files from the USB device to the MC.
2HOTT4U Suspended due non-functional email address
shot ppl 4 d help, especially orthogonl,
duz any1 in dis forum kum from south africa, coz im lookn 4 swap magic in cape town
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Mar 2007 @ 9:56
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.