AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony reveals PlayStation Home

Written by James Delahunty @ 07 Mar 2007 6:49 User comments (101)

Sony reveals PlayStation Home Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) has shown off a first-of-its-kind 3D online user community service for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) console. The service, known as "Home," will enable users to create their own avatar and explore a real-time virtual community, as if they are playing a detailed 3D game for PS3. The service will become available globally beginning in fall 2007.
It allows PS3 users to interact, communicate, join online games, shop, share private content and even build and show off their own personal spaces to others in real time. Home will be available as a free download from the PlayStation Store and will launch directly from XMB (XrossMediaBar) on PS3. Home is a sleek, modern environment featuring spacious common areas; custom spaces dedicated to specific games; and personal apartments.

Each user is assigned an apartment in Home where they can invite others to join them as they show off their own style in an area they can personalize themselves with furniture, art and other items – even a different view from their windows. They can also show their personal video, pictures and other digital media content found on their PS3 hard drives in their apartments. Very rich interactive communication with others is achieved through built in text, audio and video chat, along with sophisticated emotional animations for each character.

Sharing continues in the "Hall of Fame," where users can display new 3D trophies that will be unlocked through in-game milestones for the games they own as well viewing the trophies of other users across the PlayStation Network and for other games they’ve yet to purchase.

Now for some screenshots (click to see full size screenshot):

Central Lounge

Character Customization

Games Space

Hall of Fame

Basic Apartment

Luxury Apartment

Sports Lobby

Theater

"This is a significant step forward in the area of user community services and emergent entertainment experiences," said Izumi Kawanishi, Corporate Executive and CTO Software, SCEI. "While the 3D graphics demonstrate the power of PS3 and the PlayStation Network, the most impressive feature in Home is the variety of ways in which multiple consumers, as well as our third-party partners, can experience the next generation of communication by interacting and sharing among each other. I feel strongly that this unique blend of community, user-generated content, collaboration and commerce will expand the future of computer entertainment."

Home will go into a closed beta test this spring with a full launch targeted for later this year.

Previous Next  

101 user comments

17.3.2007 19:10

i think this is going to be a huge hit. here is a link to where you can watch the video from the conference. sony's online is really starting to come together.

Video

27.3.2007 19:26
whytelyou
Inactive

Hahaha.... I would like to see how this turns out. lol

37.3.2007 19:35

This looks like a great way to pick up chicks! glaven

47.3.2007 19:38

great idea! I hope it turns out as good as it seems. More in depth details would be cool. I can't wait!
edit: I'm also happy to see how much positive feedback this is getting.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 1:51

57.3.2007 19:53

looks like this could really work. to bad people will find something to cry about. shame on them

67.3.2007 20:07

dang! if this really turns out this good, I will have to get a ps3!

77.3.2007 20:48

Nifty!

88.3.2007 02:23
BobbyBlu
Inactive

Quote:
This looks like a great way to pick up chicks!
LOL...You read my mind.But the Sony haters will find away to put it down but this is great I've seen nothing but positive post from this in alot of forums.I also read that Sony really stole the show and had a very big applause after the speech.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 2:24

98.3.2007 03:07

PSO minus the fighting mixed with IMVU...hopefully it will be better built..IMVU suxs ><

speaking of witch there not going to get into clothing your AV/meme by spending credits are they? 0-o
*shudders*

Anyway despite a few minor worries..its fing sweet 0-o

108.3.2007 03:21

Wow! This is looking very nice. Might need to consdier purchasing a PS3 much sooner than expected... Still, I need a part-time job. LOL!

118.3.2007 03:29
hughjars
Inactive

Originally posted by megadork:
- Oh what a give-away.

Wow, £425 for this neo-(sub)Sims fluff? Ppppffffhhhhhhhh.

No doubt the tragic, kiddies & blind fanclub will (at least claim to) love it
(and so many new accounts showing up here to say just that, :lol: ).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 3:30

128.3.2007 03:40

Quote:
- Oh what a give-away.

Wow, £425 for this neo-(sub)Sims fluff? Ppppffffhhhhhhhh.

No doubt the tragic, kiddies & blind fanclub will (at least claim to) love it
(and so many new accounts showing up here to say just that, :lol: ).
if they get into clothing/accessories by credits it will make IMUV look good,however if they can keep it "free" and only tie in branded virtual stuff be it music or movies and such its not a bad idea and a way to help fix money bleeding.

138.3.2007 03:42

They should add some GTA style attacks in here lol... you can walk up to someone and just beat there ass in lmfao... that would be hilarious.

148.3.2007 03:54

Originally posted by Rob423:
They should add some GTA style attacks in here lol... you can walk up to someone and just beat there ass in lmfao... that would be hilarious.
I don't see that happening but I do see gyms and other sports type things where you can train your AV and them fight in rings or compete in sports and such its not a bad idea really.

158.3.2007 04:02
hughjars
Inactive

Quote:
its not a bad idea and a way to help fix money bleeding.
- I'm not saying it's a "bad idea" zippy, it's just not the greatest event ever in the history of mankind as some seem to (want to) imagine.

I've no doubt they'll also introduce some form of charging into it and start generating as much dosh out of it as fast as they can.

168.3.2007 04:05

Quote:
[quote]its not a bad idea and a way to help fix money bleeding.
- I'm not saying it's a "bad idea" zippy, it's just not the greatest event ever in the history of mankind as some seem to (want to) imagine.

I've no doubt they'll also introduce some form of charging into it and start generating as much dosh out of it as fast as they can.[/quote]but but but its the greatest news for the PS3 yet ;_;

LOL
ok I AM being evil :P

178.3.2007 04:12

it would be pretty bad ass if you can beat people up and then have officers come arrest you and your "guy/girl" would get locked up in jail for like a week. and you'd have to survive in jail with a bunch of other people lol in there you'd be able to work your guy out, become affiliated with gangs lolmake it mad realistic lol.

188.3.2007 04:49
BobbyBlu
Inactive

Quote:
I've no doubt they'll also introduce some form of charging into it and start generating as much dosh out of it as fast as they can.

I think your missing the point.Sony going to charge you for some extra content thats not the problem because you have a choice if you want extras.But its the fact that the network is free & there not holding the customer hostage telling them that we got to pay for them to keep our stats & be a part of there community.Everyone knows that everything is not going to be free so why would anyone think everything going to be free?

198.3.2007 05:27

I think this isn't a good idea,because to me it just looks like the Sims.How original is the idea,it isn't original just a copy from a game to be honest.

208.3.2007 05:28

Okay, here goes what everyone is thinking about the "haters"...

I saw this on CNet yesterday, and don't see the big deal. From the photos, there is an obvious advertising tie-in to all of this. It's going to be full of marketing junk in many areas.

Second, this "Home" steals ideas from all sorts of areas, such as Xbox Live achievements, Wii's Mii characters, plus the Sims/Animal Crossing. I don't see how this can be tightly integrated with the rest of the "PS3 experience." Every Xbox 360 game had achievements built in from the start. (What about the PS3 games out now? No achievements?) Mii characters can be integrated into Wii games.

It's not like Sony is going to let you share any of your music, etc. essentially creating a P2P network.

I don't see anything but a chance for Sony to extract another dollar from the consumer. They haven't specified how you can deck out your rooms, and I'm sure there will be a dollar amount added to "extras" if you so desire to have them. This is what I really see coming to life here. This is a chance for Sony to create "Second Life" on the PS3, and with it, a virtual economy they can make money off of. Why would anyone spend $600 to do that, when you can download Second Life for free? It's not like you're going to buy the system just to do this. And if this is all you buy it for, I don't see many happy developers.

I won't write it off yet, but if this comes to pass as another greedy scam, it might stick another nail in Sony's coffin.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 5:29

218.3.2007 05:30

if this is going to come out it is going to put sony over the competition

228.3.2007 05:41

How long before microsoft does this on the 360?

238.3.2007 05:49
hughjars
Inactive

Originally posted by bobbyblu:
Everyone knows that everything is not going to be free so why would anyone think everything going to be free?
- Well maybe that just might have something to do with them saying (and certainly implying) that it's 'free' to download and use, at least to begin with.

Of course once the children are hooked and 'in' any 'good stuff' will rapidly start the milking process.

How long before microsoft does this on the 360?
- I thought The Sims was already out on XBox 360? :D
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 5:54

248.3.2007 06:27

I think it's good to see that Sony is trying to deliver something like this to PS3 owners, and while the idea really isn't original (seems like a mixture of mii/acheivements/sims to me), at least they're trying to fix a lot of the things they have gotten criticism on like, rumble, online, upscaling. Hopefully they can deliver on these things. Also, I doubt this alone will justify the pricetag for many people, but if they keep adding things like this, along with what they already have (blueray, sixaxis, etc...), and get some killer exclusives out, people will find it easier to open their wallets.

258.3.2007 07:22

Quote:
- Well maybe that just might have something to do with them saying (and certainly implying) that it's 'free' to download and use, at least to begin with.

Of course once the children are hooked and 'in' any 'good stuff' will rapidly start the milking process.
not sure where it says "to begin with" but if you watched the video i posted early you would know they said free to download and use. they never used or implied anything that would make you think it was
"atleast to begin with."

this is taken directly from sony's news site
Quote:
Home will be available as a free download from the PLAYSTATION®Store and will launch directly from XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) on PS3.

hopefully that clears some things up about Home

anyway and like anyone argues around here, "the 360 gives you Choice." sony basically is doing the same thing here. everyone can freely use this, and you don't have to spend a single dollar.

It did mention and i think this is where people are confusing things, that if someone CHOOSES to pickup some downloadable items through their store, they can do so. i think its fair to say that, that would be the money side of this. but no one has to buy anything they don't want.

how it is a milking process, im not sure. no one is obligated to pay a single cent.

268.3.2007 07:48

It's MySpace for the console.

278.3.2007 08:27

hade
I can see it go like this 25% of the "content" is free its enough for 5 or 8 styles the remaining 75% will cost,they can make it cost a few credits (under 30)or a active "money drain" like IMVU.

Even then you have enough choice,don't think they are not going to add as much pay for stuff as they can to it,but thats only 1/4 the problem the remaining 75% is ITS FING SWEET :P

288.3.2007 08:44

people aways complain about not been original... just get over your selfs... What is really original?
They get achievements from Xox360, Mii From Wii, live like from sims..
Put this together you have HOME, Original yes... why? because nobody ever gone that far, putting all this goodies together. I hope it gets much better. And if you really think, Sims is a game that you can customize the way you want, but you can buy extras if wish, so don't complain if HOME do so, you have the choice. "they have advertising garbage everywhere"... bla bla bla... what game doesn't? and don't forget you don't have to buy, its free for PS3 owners only!!! if own a PS3 and still hate it, no need to get... anyone that didn't like it don't have a PS3 or is a SONY hatter. Sorry for you all suckers.

298.3.2007 08:48

Quote:
hade
I can see it go like this 25% of the "content" is free its enough for 5 or 8 styles the remaining 75% will cost,they can make it cost a few credits (under 30)or a active "money drain" like IMVU.

Even then you have enough choice,don't think they are not going to add as much pay for stuff as they can to it,but thats only 1/4 the problem the remaining 75% is ITS FING SWEET :P
ZIppyDSM what do you know? do you work at SONY? is HOME out? is number that SONY provided? no... so stop saying no sense... YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!!!!!

308.3.2007 08:50

Originally posted by i1der:
people aways complain about not been original... just get over your selfs... What is really original?
They get achievements from Xox360, Mii From Wii, live like from sims..
Put this together you have HOME, Original yes... why? because nobody ever gone that far, putting all this goodies together. I hope it gets much better. And if you really think, Sims is a game that you can customize the way you want, but you can buy extras if wish, so don't complain if HOME do so, you have the choice. "they have advertising garbage everywhere"... bla bla bla... what game doesn't? and don't forget you don't have to buy, its free for PS3 owners only!!! if own a PS3 and still hate it, no need to get... anyone that didn't like it don't have a PS3 or is a SONY hatter. Sorry for you all suckers.
SO the PS3 still suxs currently,the PR is something I will always hold them to,the lack of games is something else I will hold them to,petty graphics do not a good game make.

318.3.2007 09:02

I think you are missing the point i1der Sony is wasting time on this useless "Home" project.They need to make the system better I think by adding rumble to the controller for one,and hardware advancement fixes.Let the game developers mess with Sim like projects.The "Home" idea is free,but it doesn't make me want to go buy a PS3 system.I'm more focused on the consoles advancements,and I can promise you nobody is gonna buy the PS3 system for the "Home" idea.

328.3.2007 09:17

L-Burna
meh rumble is a staw man,they fixed their suit with them look for dual shock 3 in stores soon.

Sony really is the only dev to waste time on it because other pubs are to busy enslaving their devs to make quick cash games,while on the scale of what to do this is a 4 (BWC is a 7,price is a 8,) this is something they are going to do regardless...and looking at things by taking a step back sony/ms will never support BWC its a added feature they both flaunt in our face.

338.3.2007 09:18

Too bad for you... for what i think, SONY is a big company and big company's have a lot of people working for then, this is one idea, but nothing stops there, "rumble" is already settle, so is just wait until it can be use in the PS3, I know have to buy new controller, which I'm not happy about it, I think all controller owner should get discount for new ones... or could send the old and get a new one with "rumble". but thats a different case. I think HOME is just a add on to a game system that is called "the most anticipate". PS3 is not the best system out now for lack of games (my favor games came from Xbox360), but I think it just need a little more time until it catch up. Wii is not that fun (is the only console i Don't have but at friends) for the lack of response on the controllers and even the games are not much different from the past gen, if really want fun get a DS, or PSP where you can emulate all the roms you want.
"I have uncovered the secret to Wii manufacturing. The way you manufacture a Wii is you take two GameCubes and some duct tape" Chris Hecker.
Bravo!... Bravo!

348.3.2007 09:39

Too bad for you... for what i think, SONY is a big company and big company's have a lot of people working for then, this is one idea, but nothing stops there, "rumble" is already settle, so is just wait until it can be use in the PS3, I know have to buy new controller, which I'm not happy about it, I think all controller owner should get discount for new ones... or could send the old and get a new one with "rumble". but thats a different case. I think HOME is just a add on to a game system that is called "the most anticipate". PS3 is not the best system out now for lack of games (my favor games came from Xbox360), but I think it just need a little more time until it catch up. Wii is not that fun (is the only console i Don't have but at friends) for the lack of response on the controllers and even the games are not much different from the past gen, if really want fun get a DS, or PSP where you can emulate all the roms you want.
"I have uncovered the secret to Wii manufacturing. The way you manufacture a Wii is you take two GameCubes and some duct tape" Chris Hecker.
Bravo!... Bravo!
Oh please the PS3 is a beaten up supercomputer that dosent work right and the 360 tends to fall apart every few months dont even get me started the WII has more innovation than the PS3 and 360 put together,yes the control is different if you dont see it fine but its a amazing system for what it offers the 360 is getting their and the PS3 has a long way to go.

358.3.2007 09:43

list the SUPER innovation...
just for record: nothing against you but i get to put it again...
Bravo!... Bravo!

368.3.2007 09:51

Its more a toned down Second Life then the Sims. It's a cool idea but isn't something I'd call original.

378.3.2007 09:52

Quote:
Oh please the PS3 is a beaten up supercomputer that dosent work right and the 360 tends to fall apart every few months dont even get me started the WII has more innovation than the PS3 and 360 put together,yes the control is different if you dont see it fine but its a amazing system for what it offers the 360 is getting their and the PS3 has a long way to go.
So this make $600 for a PS3 cheap! I spend over $3.000 on my Super PC(no Blue-ray) and Xbox360 was made on the hurry, thats why MS gave 1 extra year on the warranty for the first year buyers, New Xbox360 don't have that problem. I still getting a Wii, case I'm a Game lover but not happy with what Nintendo offer this Gen(can they make a nice controller? haven't see one since Snes).

388.3.2007 09:52

I'm sorry, but the Wii is more than that. Its the only next-gen system that is FULLY backwards compatible with all of the previous gen (read: Gamecube) games. MS and Sony missed the boat on that.

I think the funniest part about this HOME thing (and I missed it on my first post) is the floating text above the character's heads (should we call them PS-Thrii's?) This suggests that ONE: NO VOICE CHAT and TWO: YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED A KEYBOARD! Does anyone remember advertisements with the PS2 having a monitor, mouse and keyboard tethered to it, and it was touted as a CES: Computer Entertainment System?

If HOME were meant to be a selling point, it should have shipped with the system. My bet is, it was thrown on the back-burner as everything else got delayed, which is evident by all the problems this "$600 480p Blu-ray Box" has.

398.3.2007 09:55

list the SUPER innovation...
just for record: nothing against you but i get to put it again...
Bravo!... Bravo!
I don't see a thong ,jiggly real time breasts and sweat to be "art"

the WII acaulty works on BWC something everyone else is running like mad from.

Have you played a game with the numbchuck or placed it up your rear,because the dual motion sensing is fining awesome with that said the 3rd party devs have trouble with doing any control scheme thats not cookie cutter so ports are going to suffer on the WII for a while,but the flagship games are pretty damn impressive in terms of CONTROL.

However Nintendo is in the same boat as the rest no polish in gameplay and it will suffer and suffer the most,while the other 2 can distract from gaming,Nintendo has to focus on it.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 10:01

408.3.2007 10:00

SProdigy
have you played FF11?
it has a robust control driven chat system,if they build from that I can see it being very versatile because it can bridge language barriers,then you can always buy a KB if you just have to screw up the English language :P

418.3.2007 10:00

As long as I can create a jenna jameson I will buy it.......

428.3.2007 10:03

Cfusion
sure you can build it but breast size will be limited and clothing be covering :P

so no nude home avatars till tis hacked and sony premabans any and all involved...that shall be interesting to see...

438.3.2007 10:07

Quote:
SProdigy

Don,t you ever forget the only 480p console is Wii.
The 1st system to support FullHD(1080p) was PS3.
What Wii going to do with the next 4 years now that the system is using its full potential? maybe a new console in 2 years called "WiiTry"

448.3.2007 10:42

Originally posted by SProdigy:
This suggests that ONE: NO VOICE CHAT and TWO: YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED A KEYBOARD!
I disagree...
Home Trailer

Be sure to pay attention to the part of the trailer that mentions that you can participate in voice chat via your BlueTooth headset.

458.3.2007 11:07

My bet is, it was thrown on the back-burner as everything else got delayed, which is evident by all the problems this "$600 480p Blu-ray Box" has.
Just to keep people honest here.

The PS3 has to be set to output 1080i when sending a BluRay movie to a 720p display otherwise you get a downscaled 480p picture. The solution is that simple. This is the second time we've had to say this:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/477221

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Um, yeah right. Blu-ray does not even scale to 720p on these things. IT DOWNSCALES TO 480p!!! So, you're standard def movies are in near-HD and your HD movies are in standard def??? Sony is so confused...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's an easy solution to this. Just choose 1080i in your PS3 Video setup menu and your 720p display will scale your BluRay picture to 720p. If you choose only 720p in your PS3 menu then it will downscale to 480p but choosing 1080i will solve this.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...44&page=1&pp=30

Quote:

Video Questions

But what if my tv will only display 720p?
Most HD sets can accept signals higher than they can display. In this case, your television will downconvert 1080p to 720p. If you select 720p, the PS3 will convert your lovely Blu-ray movie to 480p.

Why does it do this?
Many guess this is an oversight that Sony will fix later. Until then, 1080.

You don't have to suffer from a 480p BluRay movie. Remember that there's a fairly simple solution.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 11:17

468.3.2007 11:18

...this "Home" steals ideas from all sorts of areas, such as Xbox Live achievements, Wii's Mii characters, plus the Sims/Animal Crossing...

that's what sony does best anyway, their controllers alone prove that. dualshock came out after the n64 controller and rumble pak were introduced. i also seem to remember a drastically different-looking ps3 controller before the wii remote was introduced, but it was replaced by the sixaxis to include tilt tech.

478.3.2007 11:19

I'm sorry, but the Wii is more than that. Its the only next-gen system that is FULLY backwards compatible with all of the previous gen (read: Gamecube) games. MS and Sony missed the boat on that.

I think the funniest part about this HOME thing (and I missed it on my first post) is the floating text above the character's heads (should we call them PS-Thrii's?) This suggests that ONE: NO VOICE CHAT and TWO: YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED A KEYBOARD! Does anyone remember advertisements with the PS2 having a monitor, mouse and keyboard tethered to it, and it was touted as a CES: Computer Entertainment System?

If HOME were meant to be a selling point, it should have shipped with the system. My bet is, it was thrown on the back-burner as everything else got delayed, which is evident by all the problems this "$600 480p Blu-ray Box" has.

488.3.2007 11:21

Yes, but how many people are buying these to go with their HDTVs? That is where the Wii is genius. Personally, I have an HDTV and the games aren't all that bad in 480p, considering they aren't aiming for Hi-Def goodness.

I'll revise the above with this in mind: Wii is aimed at a different crowd, who don't use their primary TV for gaming. (ie, kids' TV in the bed room.) I'm sure most people do not have an HDTV, let alone a 2nd one for their kids to game on. With that said, I don't think as many people are going to notice the difference between the systems in spite of support for HD, as most will view the games in 480i on standard televisions. It won't be as costly a mistake as Nintendo 64 using cartridges over CD's.

PS3 looks sharp, but every review I've read has the 360 ports far out in front as far as graphics and in most cases, features as well (mostly voice chat, in game sound track, etc.) Sony seems to be far behind in this.

If I have to be reminded one more time that PS3 + 1080i = 720p I will barf. It works this way, but my screen door also shuts if I add duct tape to the latch and SLAM it. Still, neither one is a real fix, and the fact is THEY ARE BROKEN!

Back to HOME... I don't see how you can have everyone voice chat in that open environment. Even so, why all the chat boxes??? Something is very suspicious, I'm just saying that.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 11:25

498.3.2007 11:28

Why the Sony bashing? If you don't like "Home" when it becomes available, don't use it. If you think there will be items you need to pay for (and there will be) who cares? No one's forcing anyone to buy anything. Some will find it very cool and it will be a new way to meet other gamers, view new downloads, new items, etc. BTW, it supports voice chat.

As far as the PS3, I haven't experienced any problems with the system in any way and it supports 1080p. Games are coming out every other week and will only ramp up and Blu-ray on an HDTV is pretty amazing.

If you don't have a PS3, don't bash it. It's easy to criticize something you don't have and don't know too much about.

508.3.2007 11:33

Yes, but how many people are buying these to go with their HDTVs? That is where the Wii is genius. Personally, I have an HDTV and the games aren't all that bad in 480p, considering they aren't aiming for Hi-Def goodness.

I'll revise the above with this in mind: Wii is aimed at a different crowd, who don't use their primary TV for gaming. (ie, kids' TV in the bed room.) I'm sure most people do not have an HDTV, let alone a 2nd one for their kids to game on. With that said, I don't think as many people are going to notice the difference between the systems in spite of support for HD, as most will view the games in 480i on standard televisions. It won't be as costly a mistake as Nintendo 64 using cartridges over CD's.

PS3 looks sharp, but every review I've read has the 360 ports far out in front as far as graphics and in most cases, features as well (mostly voice chat, in game sound track, etc.) Sony seems to be far behind in this.

If I have to be reminded one more time that PS3 + 1080i = 720p I will barf. It works this way, but my screen door also shuts if I add duct tape to the latch and SLAM it. Still, neither one is a real fix, and the fact is THEY ARE BROKEN!

Back to HOME... I don't see how you can have everyone voice chat in that open environment. Even so, why all the chat boxes??? Something is very suspicious, I'm just saying that.
HDTV sales are soaring. The PS3 will still be relevant 5 yrs from now when other systems may not be. Of course 360 games may look better. They've had a year head start on developing games for the system. Games on the PS3 look great now on an HDTV and games coming out 6-12 months from now will look even better.

518.3.2007 11:34

PS3 + 1080i = 720p

...(wipes barf from shoes.)

528.3.2007 11:36

Quote:
PS3 + 1080i = 720p

...(wipes barf from shoes.)
Wipe barf from your Wii.

538.3.2007 11:45

Quote:
HDTV sales are soaring. The PS3 will still be relevant 5 yrs from now when other systems may not be. Of course 360 games may look better. They've had a year head start on developing games for the system. Games on the PS3 look great now on an HDTV and games coming out 6-12 months from now will look even better.
this is why we bitch theres lil diffrance in them and the 360 is getting HDMI in a revision or 2,even with HDTVs going like mad its going to take 15 years for most house holds to have them because joe public will stick with cheap crt based non HD TVs,when HD tvs becme 100 or les thats when they will be everywhere add on the differing standards and qaulity...blah...its a mess ,leaving the PS3 and the 360 abotu even.

548.3.2007 11:57

Quote:
[quote]HDTV sales are soaring. The PS3 will still be relevant 5 yrs from now when other systems may not be. Of course 360 games may look better. They've had a year head start on developing games for the system. Games on the PS3 look great now on an HDTV and games coming out 6-12 months from now will look even better.
this is why we bitch theres lil diffrance in them and the 360 is getting HDMI in a revision or 2,even with HDTVs going like mad its going to take 15 years for most house holds to have them because joe public will stick with cheap crt based non HD TVs,when HD tvs becme 100 or les thats when they will be everywhere add on the differing standards and qaulity...blah...its a mess ,leaving the PS3 and the 360 abotu even.[/quote]Eveyone's always bashing Sony for the $600 price tag, but you'll pay that and probably more to get the 360 up to the same or similar specs (HDMI, 60 Gb hard drive, and a high def DVD drive). The Wii is not capable of expanding into the same spec sheet as the 360 or PS3.

IMO, each system has its unique selling points and market segment. People have their preferences in the types of games they like to play, and certain exclusive franchises whether it be Mario, Halo, or Gran Turismo may be important in someone's decision to buy a system as well. Arguing all day about whose system is better is pretty much a waste of time because in the end, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, but what you like to play, what you can afford to buy, etc. All three are successful enough already that they're not going away, so everyone should just enjoy what they have and respect what others have. If it wasn't for the competition between the companies, there'd be one choice and it probably wouldn't be as good as any other the availabe three choices now.

558.3.2007 12:02

zxvfrr41
that I can agree on ^^

568.3.2007 12:15
BobbyBlu
Inactive

Quote:
I think you are missing the point i1der Sony is wasting time on this useless "Home" project.They need to make the system better I think by adding rumble to the controller for one,and hardware advancement fixes.Let the game developers mess with Sim like projects.The "Home" idea is free,but it doesn't make me want to go buy a PS3 system.I'm more focused on the consoles advancements,and I can promise you nobody is gonna buy the PS3 system for the "Home" idea.

I got a question do you own a PS3? i think not because if you did you would know that Sony has been working to fix some small issue with the system & haven't had a recall like someone else.You say you focused on console advancements what do you think this is? If you think its a Bad idea that your opinion but to say what Sony need to do, how would you know if you don't own a system.I've seen alot of post in some forums that people really like this idea & going to get a system because of this.But I've seen twice as many people on board for this than against.

578.3.2007 12:20

i1der
uuuummmmmmm 1080x is not going to help the wii any..so just bash the wii on your dislike of the graphics not for a display mode that would not do it any good.

the PSX in HD is still going to look just as bad....

588.3.2007 12:25

Bobby blu
how about adding to your sig dual HDMI and the removal of the HDMI and it returning last min to the low end?
:P

both companies have made more than enough mistakes if you quote one quote em all ^_~

598.3.2007 12:43
hughjars
Inactive

Anyone else find those screen-shot graphics more than just a tad underwhelming and very unimpressive?

Not one of them is what I'd call a great ad for the PS3s supposed graphical power (and claims of any imagined 'superiority' to the XBox 360's abilities are simply completely absent, period).

Maybe it's because a decent PC's monitor/resolution is just spoiling us?

608.3.2007 12:47

hughjars
dude please tone the rhetoric down just a tad,this dose not need to run every bit of power the PS3,its a basic virtual world for PS3er's to chat talk and game from.

I think you might want to stop beleiveing your own hype its hard I know I have to fall from my high chair every week...the ground she dun get any softer....but my head is adjusting fine 0_o
LOL

oy least the Irish spirit voice is gone now 0_o

618.3.2007 12:47

ZIppyDSM
I guess you miss what i said, read it againg!!! That's truth PSX will look shitty on HD but we have PS3 to back up on HD... so who will back up the HD for Wii ?... and thats is how you campare? Wii vs PSX... wii does not have the power to be in this Gen, or how i would say Wii is a Gen late since cube is not much diferent in power.

Quote:
Don,t you ever forget the only 480p console is Wii.
What Wii going to do with the next 4 years, now that the system is using its full potential? maybe a new console in 2 years called "WiiTry"

628.3.2007 12:58
BobbyBlu
Inactive

http://www.games.net/video/bts/105320/video-sony-keynote-at-gdc/

Here is the link for the video to Phil Harrison keynote speech @ GDC for those that want to know more about HOME.

638.3.2007 13:02

Quote:
ZIppyDSM
I guess you miss what i said, read it againg!!! That's truth PSX will look shitty on HD but we have PS3 to back up on HD... so who will back up the HD for Wii ?... and thats is how you campare? Wii vs PSX... wii does not have the power to be in this Gen, or how i would say Wii is a Gen late since cube is not much diferent in power.

[quote]Don,t you ever forget the only 480p console is Wii.
What Wii going to do with the next 4 years, now that the system is using its full potential? maybe a new console in 2 years called "WiiTry"
[/quote]
In terms of power no,but then gaming is not about power,thus why the DS thumps the PSP in almost all catigoies.

AS for wii getting a update why not the 360 is doing it and they are fixing the firmware on the PS3(soon to follow PS2 hardwareLESS revision 2),god knows it wont waste them profit to tune newer GCs a bit,but they have to do it so within reason the hew 360 I like as long as it has a 120HDD new CPU and new mobo if it fails to have the new HDD and has instead HDMI or a HDVD at the retail price of 480 then I will put it off a bit longer,I am avoiding the model 1 360 like the plague.

the WII is getting a DVD player model soon they can fine tune the hardware a bit then thats within reason,they always say first adopters are losers for more reasons than one,sadly its ture even more so now adays with fickle made products.

again the GC er WII is not meant to fight with the big boys but to follow its own voices and tis doing that rather well.
^^

I duuno why I am reminded of
"I am not a pervert I am a SUPER PERVERT!"
name the anime and you get a cookie :P
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 1:04

648.3.2007 13:26

Naruto...

658.3.2007 14:46

Unfortunately HDTV's are not flying off the shelves like you would think. Less than 10% of U.S. homes even have an HDTV as of the beginning of this year. Something else to consider is an article on CNet about HDTV pricing (citing major makers Sony, Panasonic, LG, etc. vs. Vizio) and how the retailers are getting stuck with overpriced inventory. Circuit City's profits have been down since last year due to HDTV sales, as they've had tons of leftover stock. The facts are out there. I'm merely trying to state, most people are getting these systems to play games, and I don't see HOME help the PS3 on the bottom line, which is this: ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A GAMING CONSOLE! There is not one must have game that is only made for PS3 (as of now) and it will only get worse this year. By the time they release HOME, Halo 3, Mass Effect, and BioShock will be out, as well as Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime and Super Smash Brothers. GTA IV will be on both PS3 and 360. PS2 systems outsold everything this holiday, meaning people are not moving to next-gen yet. However, the ones that are, are purchasing 360's and Wiis (go to nexgengames or gamecharts to view the info.) So, MS and Nintendo ARE selling next-gen systems and Sony is not selling PS3's, rather selling PS2's and lots of them. What does that say about the current situation???

668.3.2007 14:51

here you guys go Home beta trial
Link

678.3.2007 15:16

I think this is the most advanced way to stop living real life and to start living as true nerds. Yes, we can really all become someone else now. A true dawn of the dumb. Who'd want to actually meet Jenna Jameson when they could just have their more popular "Home"-self do it? Now that's cool!!

688.3.2007 15:53

did anyone notice they have a shot of resident evil 3 in the theater (last pic). Can you watch movies in the theater?

698.3.2007 16:15

i1der
BINGO!! ^^ *gives you a cookie*
0_o

anyway my point being the WII si a game machine its not a fluff driven media center (I am not a game machine I am a super game machine)

as a die hard nazi gamer to me the WII is incomplete it needs better control configuration and begin able to use map a GC pad to the WIImote and NC,do this and make a more easy app so the code monekies at EA,Edios,Ubi/devX can create worth while controls on their piss poor ports.

Both the WII and PS3 have great potential almost equal in how much they can do.

the WII can do full BWC with new controls and have such a polish on newer games that they control perfectly using the dual motion scening setup the PS3 has the power to bring full bowen GCI movie style graphics to the home if they can work on the getting game control to be important again I can over look their backsliding on the PS2/PSX and even the price.

708.3.2007 17:31

a little more history to Home for those who feel sony ripped off the other companies. Home atleast according to this guy is something sony has been working on for years now. he posted this back in may of 2005, not till after E3 where we first saw the ps3. edited once in june of 2005.

Quote:
SCEA and SOE are developing MMORPG(something similiar to ffxi) style online service for PS3 right now. It will have online pack which it comes with HDD and the online software. You can go online and chat with people like mmorpg style. Your stats will have the list of games you have and scores(or ranks) for each game, and other great things. And if you want to look for someone to play online for certain game, you have to go to this certain area(or town) for that specific game or the game will automatically takes you to that town. Sony thinks "hyper links" technology is a history. They want to create a "virtual world" for PS3 online service where people can actually interact eachother like mmorpg style. There are more great details, but this is all I can get for now. I'm not expecting you to believe me
one of the other posts made a reference to StarWarsGalaxies which sony was a part of, and to be totally honest that was one of the first things that came to mind after seeing the video on all this.

ha, almost forgot the link
Link
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2007 @ 5:32

718.3.2007 17:43

hade
to add to it this takes the basic idea of the meme adds 3d chat and a bunch of other things, this has had to be in development for the past year or 2.

Until they start killing it with pay for stuff this adds to the PS3.

I wonder if they can break the pad into 2 and copy the WII only with rumble and less gimmicky "remote" look, that right there would make me stop and take the PS3 very seroiuly.

728.3.2007 18:08

To be honest BobbyBlu if a person is dumb enough to spend 600 dollars for "Home" the Sims knock off then something is wrong with them.If the people you say are willing to do this then they can send me the 600 dollars and I can take 50 dollars out and give them Sims.I never said I had a PS3 system and why would it matter if I had one or not.The point is the "Home" idea is a knock off,and yeah it isn't making me want to go out and buy a PS3.If I had the system I would still say this is a waste of time,it doesn't excite me at all.The Sims wasn't even that great of a game I thought,so yeah its a waste of time in my opinion.Its not an advancement,and it is getting in the way of more important issues that need attention.

738.3.2007 18:17

Originally posted by L-Burna:
To be honest BobbyBlu if a person is dumb enough to spend 600 dollars for "Home" the Sims knock off then something is wrong with them.If the people you say are willing to do this then they can send me the 600 dollars and I can take 50 dollars out and give them Sims.I never said I had a PS3 system and why would it matter if I had one or not.The point is the "Home" idea is a knock off,and yeah it isn't making me want to go out and buy a PS3.If I had the system I would still say this is a waste of time,it doesn't excite me at all.The Sims wasn't even that great of a game I thought,so yeah its a waste of time in my opinion.Its not an advancement,and it is getting in the way of more important issues that need attention.
IMVU has been out longer than the WII thus the WII is copying IMVU! *L*

Now if you think a virtual life is boring then why do you virtual game?? some people might find it fun so meh

TO em the SIms is pointless and so in 2nd life its not a "game" to me more or coarse I get no entertainment from sports games either...LOL

748.3.2007 18:43

Well I would rather play any sports game then chat in a virtual world.I'm sure there are people that like virtual worlds,but to pay that much for a system to see a virtual world is wrong.The Sims is a game bro,and you might not call it that but it is referenced as a game.I like games that I can actually play,and a virtual world is only a fraction of most games I like to play.

758.3.2007 19:50
SamNz
Inactive

ok i havent got a ps3 as they arent out in nz yet but if i do get one evenutly this would be cool just a virtualworld to play round in. and eunf of the aruging ffs its really annoying

769.3.2007 06:29
BobbyBlu
Inactive

Quote:
To be honest BobbyBlu if a person is dumb enough to spend 600 dollars for "Home" the Sims knock off then something is wrong with them
HOME IS Sony answer to Microsoft LIVE its not a game its just a way to network & alot of other stuff.You don't have to use it,only there to give you a option to enhance networking.

L-Burna

Do you play online games? If so then you would know that HOME was very much needed because PS2 online was a nightmare full of cheater & people with horrible dial connection that made online for people tough. So are you telling me that if PS3 launched & used the same kind of network like PS2 you wont bitch.Just because Sony is working this area don't mean they are not focus in other area also.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23402

Quote:
I never said I had a PS3 system and why would it matter if I had one or not
Don't take this personal but how would you know what they need to fix if you don't own a system.This is the problem that i have with some people(not you) but they bitch but really don't know what going on. they think they do because they hear stuff from websites not knowing if the source bias or not.People(not you) need to start forming there own opinion & not someone else.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Mar 2007 @ 6:57

779.3.2007 07:16

Originally posted by BobbyBlu:
HOME IS Sony answer to Microsoft LIVE its not a game its just a way to network & alot of other stuff.You don't have to use it,only there to give you a option to enhance networking.

I agree, I can't see how this could be a bad thing or something to complain about since it's going to be a free feature, you'll always have the option not to use it if you're not into that sort of thing.

789.3.2007 08:14

I don't play games online so it doesn't benefit me(not a dial up user also),but if you are saying you can't cheat with this system.I'm sure there will always be a way to cheat bro.I do agree cheating online is pointless and I don't see how some people can't understand it ruins the game for everybody else.Online is just another scheme for game companies to make a profit.I can lists numerous games that make you pay for online service,not saying "Home" is one of them.The reason I don't like online is for the fact that if you pay for a game you should get the full game.Buying a game and then having to pay online is wrong in my mind also.I don't see why "Home" is so important that it should come before any other issue they need to sort out.

799.3.2007 08:37
BobbyBlu
Inactive

Quote:
I don't play games online so it doesn't benefit me
Okay i understand your view point now.You should try online its better than you think but you will find cheaters everywhere you go.But i was just like you i didn't like online til i found a game that i liked(Socom2) i became a addict soon as i played that game.I don't think there is no game that you got to pay for to get the full version on PS2 most stuff just be extra's.

809.3.2007 10:20

I don't see why "Home" is so important that it should come before any other issue they need to sort out.
I'm not a market analyst here but I think it's fair to say that Sony has had some success in the past. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. They had the biggest selling consumer product ever with the Walkman until it was surpassed by the Playstation. Sony is probably the best known and arguably the most successful consumer electronics and entertainment company that's ever existed. I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt on "Home".

It is a part of the overall package that they are delivering for the PS3 along with gaming, memory stick cabability for photos, MP3 playback, wireless, Blu-ray, 1080p capability, HDMI connections, PSP interaction, etc. No one is saying the "Home" is going to make anyone go run out and buy a PS3 but it will certainly add value for those who do buy it.

And exactly what issues are you referring to? The games I have are excellent especially considering they're games created early in the development life, and the library of games will grow exponentially. I have no problem waiting for games like Gran Turismo and Metal Gear because I know they will be absolutely insane when they come out.

Blu-ray movies look great and some look spectacular.

If the issues you are referring to are that not all games are backward compatible, I'm not overly concerned with that. Sony is fixing items like this with firmware updates. To put it in perspective, I'm having a lot more fun with the PS3 (and all it's so called issues???) than I would be having with just my PS2.

819.3.2007 11:30

said it before will say it again, what a waste of bandwith, a simple interface is alot better, the only thing that would make this good is being able to fight/kill each other.

829.3.2007 12:55

Well one game that is online that wasn't worth playing was Final Fantasy XI,and it was for the PS2.You had to pay monthly to play it and that is not including the 100 dollars you shell out for the game and the encrypted harddrive.I'm not saying all games are like this,but there are games like this.Sony is trying to take backward compatibility away from the PS3,that is an important issue I think.Sony is also trying to strip parts from the PS3 to make it cheaper,which is an important issue.I look at it like this,if "Home" is more important than those issues then the company is failing to meet the standards of what the PS3 is suppose to do.I can bring up more issues that need attention,but so far the issues I mentioned are very important to most consumers.I'm not saying they haven't accomplished anything,what I'm saying is they are setting themselves back by messing with projects like this.

839.3.2007 22:46
gogochar
Inactive

The graphics look way better than Second Life. Hope it works out.

8410.3.2007 00:03

L-Burna
Both Sony and MS fail to see the need for BWC,they fail to see it because they need revenue from new game sells thus dont want to sell a ton of systems they wont push new game sales...its rather sad really.

In my mind support the games you got you sale more systems and then sale more games but they tend to do things backwards....

8510.3.2007 02:35

Well said ZIppyDSM and I just wanted to say that Nintendo has always been good about BWC.Sony and MS don't really give thought to BWC,which is gonna hurt them in sales.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Mar 2007 @ 2:35

8610.3.2007 02:45

Well said ZIppyDSM and I just wanted to say that Nintendo has always been good about BWC.Sony and MS don't really give thought to BWC,which is gonna hurt them in sales.
Not really mainly because they can not afford to sell thousands of systems and a hundred games,they have to ignore BWC because old game sales wont stop the loss of money from the new system....

On the other hand I didn't get a 360 because of the BWC and the hardware issues I would have gotten a 360 if it worked......I am waiting for the new revision to make up my mind.

as for the PS3 sony is just a slob I should know I am one,they are trying to many things at once and then back pedaling when it gets to much.

8710.3.2007 05:00

It will help Sony out by taking BWC away,but its not to the consumers benefit.They are taking hardware out of the system to lower the price to manufacture the console.They are going to have to sell thousands of these consoles,because it is in high demand and the same applies to Nintendo and MS.Its not about selling hundreds of older games,it is to lower production cost.They can save a little bit by taking the PS2 enigma out of the system.It reminds me when Sony had the big PS2 system,and to save money they redesigned the system and stripped a bunch of stuff out to save money.It didn't really save them that much money,because they ended up with more hardware issues.

8810.3.2007 10:26

It will help Sony out by taking BWC away,but its not to the consumers benefit.They are taking hardware out of the system to lower the price to manufacture the console.They are going to have to sell thousands of these consoles,because it is in high demand and the same applies to Nintendo and MS.Its not about selling hundreds of older games,it is to lower production cost.They can save a little bit by taking the PS2 enigma out of the system.It reminds me when Sony had the big PS2 system,and to save money they redesigned the system and stripped a bunch of stuff out to save money.It didn't really save them that much money,because they ended up with more hardware issues.
you have to wonder what costing them more R&D for revisions or just keeping the revision they have,the PS2 has 16 revivsns and 2 models that can not have come cheap.

8910.3.2007 12:42
BobbyBlu
Inactive

Originally posted by ZIppyDSM:
L-Burna
Both Sony and MS fail to see the need for BWC,they fail to see it because they need revenue from new game sells thus dont want to sell a ton of systems they wont push new game sales...its rather sad really.

In my mind support the games you got you sale more systems and then sale more games but they tend to do things backwards....

That is totally false Sony has done a very good job of BWC better than Nintendo & Microsoft.Every Sony gaming system every released(PS1,PS2&PS3)Had BWC.The PS3 does BWC all the way back to PS1 so to say Sony has not done a good job at this is not true please do a little more homework before you make a crazy statement like this.Sony not killing BWC they are taking out the emotion engine to exchange it with another hardware solution to cut cost.

9010.3.2007 15:31

If you look at the European launch you will see how upset the consumers are there.It hasn't affected people in North America yet,cause it won't happen till April.If you have a PS3 before this time period then you shouldn't have a problem with BWC.It depends on how you look at the issue,if you don't get it by April then you pretty much should say goodbye to BWC.

9110.3.2007 21:31

Quote:
L-Burna

That is totally false Sony has done a very good job of BWC better than Nintendo & Microsoft.Every Sony gaming system every released(PS1,PS2&PS3)Had BWC.The PS3 does BWC all the way back to PS1 so to say Sony has not done a good job at this is not true please do a little more homework before you make a crazy statement like this.Sony not killing BWC they are taking out the emotion engine to exchange it with another hardware solution to cut cost.
dude...your believing your own hype...what dose the PSX have BWC to eh??

Now yes the PS2 had 90%ish BWC I have a acouple PSX games that wont play on it right but that aside the PS3 is on shaky ground on BWC unless they are supporting more than they let on,the PS3 supports a cherry picked roster of games because of frimware patches the current PS3 with the PS2 chip supports more than the PS3 without it,and they have plans to replace all the newer PS3s with the PS2chipless version thus lowering what it can play...so please understand they are downgrading the system in order to save a buck.

At least MS had a REAL reason to not do FULL BWC,when they changed chipsets/partners on the 360 ninvinda/ati would not let them use their programing in the emulation of it thus forcing them to go into half arsed BWC mode.

9211.3.2007 18:09

Sony is not eliminating backwards compatability although the European version will not be able to play as many games. Instead of dedicated chips for BWC, software will be used. Currently 98% of PS2 games are supported on the PS3. Europe will obviously be less than that.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Mar 2007 @ 6:10

9311.3.2007 18:09

Sony is losing over $200 on every PS3 they sell since current production costs are close to $800 per unit. It's understandable why they would make a move like this and it's also something they can work on through software updates, tackling the most popular games first.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Mar 2007 @ 6:11

9411.3.2007 18:18

zxvfrr41
more like 800-1200 for the high end.

They have said unless you have forgotten they are not going to heavily support BWC.

9512.3.2007 07:15
ChocTunda
Inactive

Quote:
They have said unless you have forgotten they are not going to heavily support BWC.
Sony said that they was going to have another software solution not totally drop it like Microsoft.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=105410

9612.3.2007 07:44

Quote:
[quote]They have said unless you have forgotten they are not going to heavily support BWC.
Sony said that they was going to have another software solution not totally drop it like Microsoft.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=105410[/quote]

YOu can read cant you? in one of the already posted articles SONY them selfs have stated they are not going to focus on BWC when they rip the chip out of the PS3(will be placed on the back bruner)

So basically they are doing the same as MS,altho it already supports more than the 360 ,they should have left it in a took a different apporch like dropin the low end ps3 altother.

9712.3.2007 11:36

Quote:
So basically they are doing the same as MS,altho it already supports more than the 360 ,they should have left it in a took a different apporch like dropin the low end ps3 altother.
It would be interesting to see the sales ratio of the 60Gb vs the 20Gb PS3. From what I've seen, most retailers aren't even carrying the 20Gb, so Sony may very well discontinue it at some point especially since they lose more money on selling the lower end because it's still almost as expensive to manufacture as the high end model.

I'm also a bit surprised that Sony is eliminating the chipset for the European release although they said that they would still work on BWC through software. They're obviously trying not to lose their shirts by losing $200-$400 on each unit sold but full BWC was a big selling point for the PS2. As I mentioned, they may very well go after the most popular games through software updates and not bother with the less popular titles.

Personally, I never really played PS1 games on my PS2 and when more PS3 games come out, I don't really anticipate playing many PS2 games. It's hard to go back to older graphics once you see the new stuff.

9812.3.2007 14:37

zxvfrr41
BWC is kinda important to me since I still play PSX/PS2 games and am adding on to my library,emu can be tricky and kill the game shark I have,it just adds to the annoyance of it,the PS3 is looking up but the 360 looks better right now.

9913.3.2007 05:39

zxvfrr41
BWC is kinda important to me since I still play PSX/PS2 games and am adding on to my library,emu can be tricky and kill the game shark I have,it just adds to the annoyance of it,the PS3 is looking up but the 360 looks better right now.
I really wasn't comparing the two but I'm curious why you say the 360 looks better right now. Do you mean as a system or literally looks better as in the graphics? The PS3 just came out so the 360 is going to have more games, better online community, etc at this point.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it all comes down to preference on what you like. I have an HD TV so 1080p movies coming out of the Blu-ray player is pretty amazing. Out of my collection of PS2 games, I only play about 10 and all play perfectly on the PS3. I have nothing to complain about with the PS3.

10013.3.2007 06:02

zxvfrr41

the PS3 has a bit more polish in its hardware,its software so far is no worse than the 360s at launch but not much better what I hate aobut the PS3 is the lies and the spins sony PR has gone into.
the PS3 is currently worth 200 to me in a year when the library expands some I cloud up it to 300-400.

The 360 is sadly not much better,the newest model(not the new revision) are built a bit better but still have enough issues to make me say no,the software has improved greatly from its launch and all in all the system is filling out its still limping from its crap fest of a launch but thos hardware issues make me so I can wait even when the current line up is worth the price admission.
the 360 is currently worth 200 to me the model one just has to many issues,however the model 2 is worth 300-400 to me.

I base the above prices on "fun factor" and the current focus of gaming today,I refuse to pay more than 200 for a system that dose nothing new and offers about the same level of graphics as my computer,shallow gaming doth not get my money.

Unlike the other 2 the WII is worth getting NAO,however I am cheap and want to see what the possible DVD player WII brings before I put money down,plus I am waiting on Metroid prime 3 so I can do a weekend of MP3 and Zedla :P.

10119.3.2007 14:28

Hey i love my x360 and is thinking of getting a ps3 mybe nmext year or somthing i dunno... but HOME is somthing that sounds really good... if you think about it its like a whole clone of earth but in a game.. you can tlk to other ppl and everything to.. this sounds nice.. oh and abouth the theatre.. do you seriosly get to watch movies? as in full legnth movies. or do you have to pay

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Mar 2007 @ 2:31

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive