1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by daulph, Sep 2, 2003.

1. daulph

daulph Guest

I am interested in getting a DVD recorder and noted that there are DVD-R and DVD+R recorders. I don't have a clue what the differences are and which is superior. I am mostly interested in a DVD recorder that I can use to record so I can play discs on my home DVD player.

2. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

The differences are not that great between -R and +R. If your final goal is to have DVDs that play in a standalone player, the compatibility favors -R. The bigger differences are in the -RW/+RW in the way that data is handled. +RW is capable of acting like a hard drive in that it can rewrite sectors without having to erase the whole disc (like dvd-ram, except the laser reads in the grooves and not on top of the grooves like in ram)

3. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

dvd-r uses a wobble groove to calibrate disk speed and position data with out gaps. it also has lossless linking which can append data blocks with new data, with out linking blocks used in the packet writing strategy, it uses clv (constant linear velocity (same write speed all around the disk even in the inner portion) it also corrects for improper laser position because dvd-players are really picky about imperfections. DVD+R is the same basically except its wobbles are at a higher frequincy and it uses CAV (constant angluar velocity (slower in the inner faster out in the edges)also DVD+R has the capability to copy right from stamped disks because it can hold data in the inner, inner ring where stamped disks usually do, but it is locked out in filmware.

in conclusion dvd-r is better with a proven higher compatibility rate

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

5. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

Best bet, get a +/-RW drive. It doesn't cost much more and all your bases are covered. I wanted a +/-, but my wife nagged me into getting a system with just +R. It works for my Apex stand alone, but so far none of my friends players will read the +R (even though 1 guy just bought his player new a couple months ago).

6. daulph

daulph Guest

Thanks for the quick reply to everyone involved. Sounds like the DVD-R is the way to go, but I'll probably wind up getting the DVD+R as well. Unless someone can convince me that something better is out there. Got to admit, I've never heard of a -/+RW. Guess I've some reading to do.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Pioneer DVR106 is a +/- writer, but not on the same disc :D

They just write both formats

8. Tosca

Tosca Guest

about 20~30 cents.

9. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

Sony makes a pretty good +/- RW drive.

10. Tosca

Tosca Guest

There are no such thing as a pretty good +/- R/W drive. It doesn't exist. Sony or Pioneer certainly do not make one that can be considered "pretty" good.

11. RiPsTeR01

RiPsTeR01 Guest

does not sound like you do a lot of research tosca

12. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

DVD-R is all thats needed to burn discs that'll play on your stand alone DVD Player. You can pick up the Pioneer a05/105 fairly cheap these days...

13. koola

koola Guest

Get a duel format DVD burner then you will have the best of both worlds. DVD-R is much better though.