1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SYMWSCNO.EXE - ZoneAlarm creating problmes with Ad-Aware & Spyware Doctor?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by sunsmum, Mar 25, 2007.

1. sunsmum

sunsmum Member

I downloaded latest version of ZoneAlarm couple of days ago (reluctantly as format changed & I was suspicious to its authenticity). Anyway, I was amazed & delighted to find I could now log into Messenger without having to turn off ZoneAlarm (not the case for months) & could view various websites which had been blocked by the previous version of ZoneAlarm.
    Fast-forward to yesterday when ZoneAlarm informs me that they have blocked a malicious program, "Symwscno.exe" from opening on my PC. Didnt give me option to approve or otherwise. I thought it must be a virus that somehow broken thru my various firewall, spyware & antivirus. But when I ran scans, none of these picked up on this. I Googled the "suspicious file" & turned out to be component of Norton Anti-Virus?(I no longer use). Today I CANNOT DOWNLOAD UPDATEs either AD-AWARE or SPYWARE DOCTOR. Ad-Aware says error retrieving & Spyware Doctor just skips to the end and says finished!! Have had no joy with System Restore. HELP PLEASE? ps Am using XP2 Thanks in advance.

2. revengine

revengine Regular member

I would get rid of ZoneAlarm if it was me, but then again i have never been a big ZoneAlarm fan.

3. sunsmum

sunsmum Member

Well I did try turning off ZoneAlarm to see if that made a difference, but it didn't. I had been satisfied with it until recently and as I am a registered user I don't really want to waste my subscription so would like to avoid uninstalling it! :(

Any other advice? This is keeping me awake at night!!!

4. revengine

revengine Regular member

I am having problems with Smart Update.
    The problem you are experiencing is generally due to one of the following reasons:

Check that you have the latest version of Spyware Doctor - You can check the version number by clicking on the 'Status' button and. The latest version is 5.0. If you need to upgrade you can download Spyware Doctor 5.0 from: www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/upgrade/

Spyware Doctor settings configured to 'Direct Connection' - Follow the steps below to allow a direct connection to Smart Update within Spyware Doctor

Change Connection Setting:
    1. Go to 'Settings' in Spyware Doctor
    2. Choose General
    3. Click Proxy Settings on the right hand side
    4. Check the option 'Use Direct Connection'

Internet Connection - Ensure you are connected to the Internet when attempting to perform a Smart Update.

Firewall / Proxy Server - You may need to temporarily disable your firewall or proxy server to perform Smart Update, as these programs can sometimes interpret the update function as a malicious process. If your software supports it, can you please place 'swdoctor.exe' and 'update.exe' on your firewall or proxy server's 'Allowed Processes' list. This will permit you to run future Smart Update with your firewall or proxy server enabled.

Virus Scanner - You may need to temporarily disable your virus scanner to perform a Smart Update, as these programs can sometime determine the download as a malicious process. Please remember to re-enable your Virus Scanner when Smart Update has completed.

I know you can go to Ad-Awares website and manually download or install updates for the software. Good luck, em