1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7 Confirms Status As Bloatware?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Aarbyy, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

Hello. I am an owner of Nero Ultra 6, which I consider bloatware. I was thinking about the term and I've decided that bloatware isn't just a program that's big, but a program that's big and that doesn't work as advertized. In other words, If the manufacturer can't get dollar signs out of his eyes sufficiently to see how to build a bigger program, then we get a bigger program that doesn't work right. We need a new Nero (company) the way Nero was once the new company that made a product that simply worked, even if it wasn't terribly user friendly.

My slideshow program in Nero 6 worked for a while and then croaked. I tried Ulead and Arcsoft afterward and settled on Arcsoft's slideshow program. Between the three, it's the best, although all three have strengths and deficiencies. However, One doesn't work at all for me.

I downloaded the trial version of Nero 7 last night and tried it. Aside from a zillion pop ups pointing out that I can either buy or cancel to try (which, admittedly, might just be due to my having BitDefender, and not bothering to check a little box that says Don't show again), the burn of a movie to dvd failed. Couldn't create a disc structure. Uh huh. The movie was a downloaded avi.

I also see that Nero has added some sort of search thingy to my task bar. Didn't appreciate it. What arrogance these guys have. If everyone software maker took the attitude that they had the right to redecorate my desktop with bits and pieces of bloatware, someone(s) would find that they couldn't. I'd be out of room.

I'm not happy about having recommended to my newbie brother and a newbie friend that Nero was an all round suite that, for the money, was well worth buying. Everyone steals (but not like corporations are able to steal) things here and there, but I'm not against buying (even though I don't make a living wage) and feel that supporting a good product that way just makes sense. But gosh!

And if I might ask someone for a little help on a related problem; I've been through this a million times and usually manage to fix things. For some reason, I'm now missing something and I'm stuck with Nero's file associations. I usually just use the 'open with' feature and then browse to the program I want to use. (But I have only targetted audio. The audio effort didn't work. And I don't know how to take this further.) As for the folder options route, in the control panel, There's not enough explanation provided to know exactly how to use it. I'm not tech savvy. I have other strengths. Thanks in advance. Later...

AMD 64, 3200, w 1 gig of DDR ram, Pioneer 110D dvd burner, Plextor PX-W2410A (24/10/40A)

+ I allowed the Nero trial to uninstall (to whatever extent it does that) my other Nero programs. I bought my Nero Ultra 6 online and have set aside the serial numbers. But I really hate the whole multiple serial number thing that, until now at least, Nero forced on us. When I lost those numbers earlier, I had to fax Nero info, repeatedly, in order to verify my ownership and receive unlocking serials and, while they sent one, they would not send me both - for a long time!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Aarbyy
    Here's a fix for your file assoc. Click on my computer. Go to tools>folder options then the file types tab. There will probably be a lot listed. Press the 1st letter of the file type you want to change - may make scrolling easier.
    Highlight the file then click on change. You'll be able to change what program opens it.

Another easy option is if you have some of the files with the files associations you want to change then right click on one and go to properties. Under the general tab you can change it there.

I always uncheck the file assoc when installing Nero when the install gets to that part (towards the end).

For the failed burn post the burn log and we can take a peek to see what's up there.
    If you saved the one from Nero post that.
    If not you can find the burn part of that log here:
    program files>nero>nero 7>core>nerohistory.
    I'm guessing that will be the last log in there - unless you've tried to burn something since them.

3. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

Thanks Binkie7. I ignore log files because I can't use them. I'd never understand them. Therefore, I deselect saving them. Which isn't to say that I won't keep them for posting to help forums like this one. I just happened to not keep this one, which I regret. I'll be back with the log file for the next failed Nero burn for sure, unless I decide to do something else, like use another program.

Nero has become sloppy, but it's hard to just drop Nero when you're used to it.

Thanks a million for the suggestions for changing file associations.

Later...

4. binkie7

Not a problem Aarbyy
    And guess what - Nero saves the burn part of the log whether or not you said yes. Saves the last 10 by default in the path above.

5. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

Thanks Binkie. That's handy to know, because when I told Nero to save my log file (on this last attempt), it didn't. I told Nero to save it to my desktop. It wouldn't. And it wouldn't save it to any other location. How interesting.

But I'm positive I know what the problem is. Rather than trouble you to interpret the log file (or part of it if that's what nerohistory provides), which I located, I'm going to uninstall the program and re-install it, taking care to install it entirely to drive D, which I thought I had done. I missed the turn off, however, since I found Nero 7 on my C drive. Grrrr!

I've got too little disk space on my C drive to even degrag it. I'm waiting on friends, or anyone, to help me install a couple new hard drives so that I can once again defrag my drives 'and' use my programs normally like I once did.

But I think this resource is awesome and at least now know where to go to get help. And the friendliness is nice too. Thanks again. Later...

Arby

6. binkie7

You're welcome Aarbyy
    I think you may have found your problem - looks like you have some pc 'spring' cleaning to do.
    The logs aren't really that bad - yeah at first it probably looks like WTF (esp Vision's)
    Here's a basic guide on the burn part - link.

If you're just installing a hard drive for storage not hard at all to install and format.
    If you are installing a few check and make sure your power supply will handle everything you have and are adding.
    External hard drives are another way to go too.