AfterDawn: Tech news

VESA approves DisplayPort 1.1

Written by James Delahunty @ 04 Apr 2007 5:15 User comments (6)

VESA approves DisplayPort 1.1

The Video Electronic Standards Association (VESA) has approved DisplayPort 1.1 as the new industry standard for display connections. VESA describes DisplayPort as "HDMI for computers". It supports High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). DisplayPort is designed to offer a common interface for internal and external digital displays, set to replace VGA and DVI.
"The benefits of version 1.1 are significant, and will encourage adoption of DisplayPort in new generations of computers and consumer electronics equipment," said VESA Director Bill Lempesis in a statement. "Our task groups and committees within VESA worked very hard to ensure that DisplayPort 1.1 satisfies the important objectives it is designed for, and as a result, this new version has widespread support among all the leading computer and consumer electronics suppliers."

VESA also plans to incorporate best practices for providing HDMI connectivity through its DisplayPort Interoperability Guidelines, which will be finalized soon.

Source:
Ars Technica

Previous Next  

6 user comments

14.4.2007 22:16

Crap, now I have to wait to buy my DirectX 10 video card AND my next monitor... This sucks. How friggen often are they going to come out with these new standards? The content protection doesn't excite me either. What am I supposed to say as a consumer? "Cool, content protection!!" I was just getting excited about getting rid of my VGA-style connector. I guess I'll be keeping my CRT a bit longer :P lol

24.4.2007 23:07

I can see it now MS explodeds when people call in when their computer cant play protected media it goes blanks shuts off or gives a error.

35.4.2007 12:36

From the Vesa website...
"Significant advantages over DVI and VGA include a small USB-sized connector with available latching, two-way display connectivity, optional audio support, higher performance than dual link DVI at 10.8 Gigabits per second, and a unique micro-packet architecture that enables new display features."

Smaller connection = Smaller cable

That is great news as it gets rid of another bulky cable dangling behind my desk.

45.4.2007 22:50

Great news if you have an extra $300-$1700 ready to upgrade your video card and monitor so you can get a smaller diameter cable! lol

58.4.2007 01:49

Umm ive not done the math, but im guessing theres an upper limit to the total number of pixels you can refresh per second on dvi, hence total resolution must have a limit.

Currently i belive were limited more by the manufacturing techniques, although i know this will change with oled and digital projectors displays.

So does this mean in the future i can get rid of having multiple display cards and monitors to get the workspace i want :)

And on the internal audio interface i assume thats just a digital 5.1 pass through or replay, but when was the last time u saw anyone with a serious tv setup or pc setup that was using the internal speakers on the screen and thats if the screen has them.

Im not so sold on that one.

And DRM, with everyone in the industry now maybe gona follow emi and back down on DRM will we ever have to worry with it actually being used even if its there. Additionally even if it does get used, what use will there be having it there ie on the video feed to the screen, assuming you had already bypassed the DRM at the source how is this going to stop u playing stuff that had the DRM stripped/dropped off at the player ?

Mini usb sounds intresting but does make me wounder what the leads effective length is going to be, as ive seen dvi cables that do 15 - 20 meters, usb needs to be repeated every 6 - 10 meters i belive due to the nature of the signal.

68.4.2007 02:36

Audio/Video in one cable
sending them together in one cable is not to bad a idea from the TV it can go to audio system,this can help with cableage but not remove the need to directly plug things into the audio system.

DRM/HDCP
While HDCP is in the works we see visions of DRM within vista disabling output devices that are not protected while playing protected media yet palyign any unprotected media fine,but HDCP in itself is a odd move it only disables high def output on HDCP hardware so any old player that can force a mode will over ride it, sure theres steps to take to make HDCP the standard protection but for the short run its flawed and pointless,in the long run if all of the industries can focus onto it you would only be able to copy to HDCP recorders...its smacks of a monopolistic move by the industry to force you to get new hardware just to watch and record from new media.

March of the "Right" Over Lords
the march to restrict personal freedom with newer media can be seen as the same march on returning movies and video games with one hand they restrict copying on the other they ban the right of return now they are upping the game if you fail to met the requirements for viewership you shall not watch it this goes far beyond just needing a player and a screen to view it....with all this do they then let the consumer return bad movies and games no they blame them for all their woes and call them thivies...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive