1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dl play back problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lucas23, Apr 8, 2007.

1. lucas23

lucas23 Guest

i have been backing up my dvds for some time and i no most of the problems that gose on but i have just cum across 1 that burns my head out i been backing up my on verbatiman dl discs but some of them play fine but some seam to just stop dead on my dvd player it happens 3 mins in to the 3 episode about 3 mins into itim using DVD Decrypter with the mds files so i dont see its the layer break but i have tested them on my pc it plays fine and tested a few on othere dvd players but some play fine that go doddgy and some dont what can the problem be

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It more than likely is in deed the layer break. What are you using to create the ISO before you burn it?

For dual layer disk's I would recommend this method (you will get a better copy)

1) Rip in file mode to your HD with DVDFab Decrypter
    2) Run those files through FixVTS
    3) Compile and burn with ImageBurn

3. lucas23

lucas23 Guest

well if its the layer break then y is it working on othere dvd player but not mine tho

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Probably because they are better DVD players???

Look I gave you a solution and you don't seem to like so that is fine go ahead and keep burning the coasters.

5. lucas23

lucas23 Guest

i tryed it just got the same layer break problem

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

what dvdrw make and model are you using? I highly recommend booktyping DL dvd+r's to dvd-rom if your drive is capable. what speed are you burning at? try 2.4x if not already burning at that speed.

7. lucas23

lucas23 Guest

i got a pioneer 112d and im using verbatim and burning at 2.4 speed im thinking its my dvd player as its about 6 years old

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

pioneers will not booktype dvd-rom on dvd5 media with official pioneer firmware but there is some modified firmware (buffalo) that you can flash it with that will enable it to booktype to dvd-rom (bitset). I thought they did bitset DL dvd's though. I'm not a pioneer fanboy or owner so I don't have a link to the buffalo f/w. all my drives come bitset ready. I won't buy one that isn't. maybe somebody that uses pioneer can provide you with a link.

you can check the booktype with this free utility

note: you can only booktype dvd+r media to dvd-rom. it won't work on dvd-r media.

edit: you can find the buffalo f/w for your drive here note: it is beta.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This sounds like it very well could be your DVD player seeing how it will play in other players and drives.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

bbmayo,

good to see you out and about. I agree but you also know how finicky DL media can be with some set top dvd players if it isn't booktyped dvd-rom. It's definately a good habit with dvd+r media of any kind and sure won't hurt and shoud increase compatability with set top players.