1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn Avi to VCD?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ps357, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ps357

ps357 Guest

hey im a newbie here, does anyone know any Free programs to use to brun AVI files to VCD? thanks in advance

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

THREAD MOVED

The simplest applications I imagine are:
    - TMPGenc 2.5 free to encode (AVI ---> PAL/NTSC VCD MPG)
    - VCDGear to auhtor a VCD (MPG --> bin/cue VCD image)

The only TMPGenc 2.5 free limitation is the impossibility to load/encode MPEG-2 (thet is, SVCD or DVD mpegs), so it suits your needs.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  3. touran22

touran22 Regular member

hey so if my AVI film is 700mb... after i convert it with tmpeg how big will it be?

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

Use a bitrate calculator to determine how large you WANT your file to be.

5. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

aldaco12,

Hello, i try your method,but TMPGEnc encodes my movie from a 692MB movie to a almost 900MB movie.I tried many other video conversion programs,but got the same result.Why does it get that big?Man this is so frustrating.I could easy put it on DVD but i dont want to waste a disc for a 692MB movie...Do you have any idea why this is happening?Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  6. bulldogz

bulldogz Guest

Hey if your video file size is 900mb then all you have to do is burn it to 2 cds.to do that you will need this software. It's a trial but I think you can use it ten times.Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  7. ukGary

ukGary Member

u could try allok AVI to DVD, VCD converter. It has an easy to use interface and u can select the quality of the output file to match the size of ur disc space.

Great for cramming 2 episodes of lost onto one cd.

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Ignore all the crap. VCD are MPEG-1 encoded with video bitrate = 1500 kbps CBR, and you cannot do anything to avoid 1' VCD movie being = 10 MB.
    whassup method is only used for DVD movies, whose video bitrate is 2500-8500 kbps VBR and which can have audio 128-448 kbps CBR [either MP2 or AC3].
    VCD has video = MPEG-1 1500 kbps CBR and audio MP2 = 224 CBR, and therefore I assume your movie was 90' long.

You can do this:

1) buy a DVD player capable to play DivX files. Time needed: time needed to burn a CD. Quality loss = none.

2) Transform the AVI into 2 VCD MPEG-1 files (movie_CD1.mpg and movie_CD2.mpg). TMPGenc's command is Setting___Advanced___Select Range (0-F for movie_CD1 and F+2 --> end for movie_CD2 [F=frame]). When done, author two VCDs. Usually a movie is about 2h, and therefore needs two 80' CD-R.
    Time needed: some hours. Quality loss: depends on the input movie. Please note the VCD movie will have to become a 352x288/240 (PAL/NTSC) movie.

3) Study the CQ encoding ( http://www.kvcd.net/portal/index.php ), get the TMPGenc KVCD templates ( http://kvcd.net/dvd-models.html , expecially http://kvcd.net/KVCD-CQ-352x240-_NTSCFilm_-PLUS.mcf and http://kvcd.net/KVCD-CQ-352x288-_PAL_-PLUS.mcf) templates and transform the AVI into 1 KVCD M1V (K-MPEG-1 video) + M2V audio. Once done, multiplex M1V and MP2 with TMPGenc choosing, as type, MPEG-1 (non-standard).
    Alas , you have to 'guess' the Q value (KVCD are CQ=Constant Quality ancoded movies) which gives, as output, a 800 MB M1V file.
    There are applications to provided such estimates, but aren't precise (they make an estimate based on the choice of a sub-set of the input movie).
    Time needed: many many hours. Quality loss = a little more than VCD.

What to do, then? You must choose.

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  9. whassup

whassup Regular member

Actually, VCD has an 1150 kbps video bitrate. My method works for creating an xVCD, as long as your stand-alone can handle it. Most newer DVD players (ie. any cheapie DVD player bought in last 3-4 years) can handle it.

10. georgeluv

georgeluv Regular member

forget vcds, burn kvcds.

kvcd = entire movie on one cd-r that will still play in any player that plays vcds. extra points if you make a ksvcd and do the header trick.

11. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

Wow i must look into this header trick!! :)

12. whassup

whassup Regular member

You've gotta remember that video quality will significantly decrease when you try to drop the bitrates.

With DVD's costing pennies, making kvcd/xvcd/xsvcd/ksvcd isn't as glamorous as it used to be.