1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdmi or 5.1 analog

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by shabre, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shabre

shabre Member

hello, in your opinon... which will sound better hdmi audio or 5.1 analog audio? I am looking at the Toshiba xa2 hd dvd player, but my reciever has the 5.1 analog inputs but not hdmi. Should I invest in a new a/v reciver?

Thank you for your time!

Shane

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

If you use high quality audio cables you won't hear much of a difference. I would only upgrade your receiver if you want to enjoy 7.1 surround sound in the future. But new receivers from just about everyone are incorporating HDMI. Yet, only a few ($400-$500 and up) incorporate HDMI audio decoding. So If you do buy one make sure it supports 7.1 surround sound, (or has 8 channel inputs) will decode audio from HDMI, (not just pass through) and that the HDMI will pass a 1080p video signal over a SimplyHD certified connection. All of that information should be right one the box!

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  3. shabre

shabre Member

thank you for the information. I will stick with my current a/v reciever I just recieved a year ago, and it is THX certified.

I have also been reading that 5.1 analog has excellent sound for Dolby True HD. I mentioned in an earlier post that I compare it to a good lp record, which in my opinion sounds more crisp and natural than the digital cd's do.

Thank you again,

Shane

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.