AfterDawn Forums

Installing Ps2 Independence.

This discussion thread has 28 messages.

Ok From what I gathered, this is theoretically how to do it.

First you need exploit-ins.zip or whatever it is. This contains the exploit installer. Here is a readme.

---
PS2 Independence Installer Readme
---------------------------------

Code: Sjeep
Exploit: Marcus R. Brown

This simple program will install the PS2 Independence exploit from a CDROM
onto a PS2 memory card. The usage directions are:

1) Create your TITLES.DB file using the utility found at http://www.0xd6.org
2) Create a CD compilation, using the following layout:
- All files from the archive (except this file) placed in the root of the
compilation, including the FILES directory and its contents, unless you
do not plan to use ps2link as the boot program for the exploit
(see below). The file layout of your compilation at this stage should
look similar to the following:

\CDVD.IRX
\EXPINST.ELF
\SYSTEM.CNF
\FILES\BOOT.ELF
\FILES\IPCONFIG.DAT
\FILES\PS2IP.IRX
\FILES\PS2LINK.IRX
\FILES\PS2SMAP.IRX

- Your TITLES.DB file is also placed in the root directory, ie:

\TITLES.DB

3) Burn as a MODE2/XA CD.
4) Using whatever method you wish, boot the CD you just created on your PS2.
This will install the exploit and related files onto your memory card
(files are stored in the "Your System Configuration" save).
5) Once the installation is complete, pop in an original PSX game and reboot
your PS2. You should be greeted with the ps2link screen if everything has
gone according to plan.

NOTE: You are not limited to using ps2link with this exploit. The installer
app will copy any files it finds in the \FILES directory on your CD into
the "Your System Configuration" save on your memory card, along with the
actual exploit data. You can replace the ps2link files shipped in this
archive with whatever you want.
---
So all we need to do is change:
\FILES\BOOT.ELF
\FILES\IPCONFIG.DAT
\FILES\PS2IP.IRX
\FILES\PS2LINK.IRX
\FILES\PS2SMAP.IRX
Swap the boot.elf with whatever program you want, and add its related files and your done! If anyone knows of a program you can put on the memory card that will stop the disc so you can load another CD, REPLY!!!!

-Alex
http://Console.IsCentral.Net
Ps2 Exploit Tutorials, Downloads and Forums.
▼▼ This topic has 27 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
what is this INDEPENDANCE thing? Please explain what this does.
Firstly, you need to get it on their somehow - two options.. err 3.

1) Copy from another memory Card

2) Boot a self installing disc

3) Copy it using xport from the internet.

When it is installed, all you need to do is put in a PSX (Playstation 1) game in (This game has to have its "ID" in title.db) And when you boot that game, the Ps2 checks the memory card and the exploit takes over and runs boot.elf from the memory card.
Tobal_2 Suspended due non-functional email address
replace the boot.elf with COGSWAP by hermes :)
cdloader dont work, as it has a directory and you cant copy a dir to memcard
works like swap magic 3 will hehe
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Oct 2003 @ 9:35

PS2 And PS1 will never need a modcip... i hope same with PS3.
Tobal 2 is sooo good on ps1 with english patch.
gots ta love sqaure
Tobal_2 Can you provide an exact tutorial? I am sure you need to change lba's or something by adding "buffer" files... hmm well could you write a step by step tutorial here?
jk323 Suspended due non-functional email address
yes go to ps2ownz.com and on the left will be cd loader go there and the link will take you to another site tidus something iforgot depending on the version of ur ps2 u will need the beta version3 for v7 ps2 or the image file for any other versions all u need is swap magic and u can play all games out there except forfreedom fighters ea games is to smart to fall for cdloader but other games u can play u simply load swap magic cd then insert cd loader then eject and load dvd disc then swap by ea method and then load and press x and all backups that r not supported by sm2.0 will work except freedom figheters
i am working on a tutorial now... just wait until thursday oct.15th and it will be ready

for now i have translated the one at ps2reality.net

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/52329
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Oct 2003 @ 10:56

PS2 And PS1 will never need a modcip... i hope same with PS3.
Tobal 2 is sooo good on ps1 with english patch.
gots ta love sqaure
http://www.ps2-exploit.da.ru/
it will tell you everything you need to know and will give you everything you need to install cogswap loader to the MC

Site by me finished today.
Twanger Suspended due non-functional email address
So does this play ps1 games, ps2 games or does it play both?
It will play burned ps2 cd-r and dvd-r 1:1 ratio backups IF you own a game with a greater file size than the one u are gonna play.

IT WILl NOT PLAY PS1 BACKUPS, BUY AR/GS2 and swap the CD2 for a ps1 disc, and then hit x, boots like a charm
So do u need to swap or do you just put the CD-r or DVD-r game in and play
You will need to swap the disc either way, twanger, unless you got the cogswap loader on your memory card. This thread is still open if anyone knows how to load the exploit on using the fifademo disc on a PAL system.. :/ And i recommend tobal's website..!
So if i have cogswap on my Memory Card i dont need any kind or mod chip, fliptop or slide card to run my copied game

So if i have cogswap on my Memory Card i dont need any kind of mod chip, fliptop or slide card to run my copied game

Dizturbed Suspended due non-functional email address
you need cogswap on your mc. then you put in a ps1 game, which loads cogswapper. then you need a method to switch discs. if you wanna boot a dvd-rom copy you will need to insert(officially, the blue button) a ps2 game with a TOC higher than that of the copy.then switch.to install the exploit using the original demo cd which came with your ps2, you will need to burn the cdr with the folder SCEE_DD, this folder has some .img files in it. also on the cd you will require the exploit installer, the title.db file(with the SCES no of the ps1 game inside using titleman) the cogswaper files. when you download cogswapper there will be a load of files,95% of whcih are there to make it look advanced. the 3 files i used and it worked with are the system.cnf, iop.irx and boot.elf. i havent tested it but its my guess all you need is the boot.elf and the irx file, but it only takes up 140kb on your memcard anywho.back to the main point. im assuming you know how to create a cdr that will work on ps2. put in the demo, load up fifa, when the controlls screen comes up switch the demo with your cdr using some method and viola.i think.
u need no mod once u have exploit+cogswap on the mc

u insert game via eject blue bottom for cd-r silver for dvd-r, hit circle it reads "perform cogswap" then u do knife/card/cogswap trick to swap, then hit x boots up

Could someone provide detailed usage on cogswap.. It seems like the perfect solution to everything
I got everything but the TITLES.DB
I have the utilities but dont know what to do with them?

IT SAYS ON THAT SITE, U SHOULD CHECK THERE BEFORE ASKING!!!

u use titleman to create a file

->START->RUN -
titleman -c (CREATES TITLE.DB)
titleman -a SLUS_2343.23 (ADDS SLUS_343.23 to TITLE.db)

IF YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TROUBLES, I WILL MAKE U ONE JUST GIVE ME THE SLUS_####.## THAT U NEED ADDED.
Thanks but When i do that a black screen comes up and then gos away the second it appears

is that right
yes that is right! Now check in the folder where you put titleman.. there will be a titleman.db or whatever its supposed to be! and it will have your game's ID in it.
Dizturbed Suspended due non-functional email address
im not sure if thats right.
what i do is:
open dos
type cd\ to get the directory to "c:\"
then titleman.exe(app in c:\)
then titleman.exe -c (creates title.db)
then titleman.exe -a SLUS_XXX.XX which is the code of the game.
Is there any use of this utility, when I only want to use in PS2 my own CD's with AVI, mp3 or jpeg? For example - is it possible to get exploit to MC and this way start PS2Reality and then browse my own CD in PS2? And is necessary to have Action Replay disc or something similar?
Thanks now I only have one more question how do I get the SLUS code from the ps1 game? When I put the ps1 game in my computer and click on system nothing happends. so how do I get the code?

thank for any help
any help
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.