1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does it take to become a AfterDawn Addict ?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by rdmercer1, Apr 15, 2007.

1. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

i was wondering what it takes to become a AfterDawn Addict ? besides a whole bunch of posts and replying to threads, i would think that it would meen that you would have a lot of knowlege on quite a lot of different areas of software and how different programs work? right? i would like to get some feed back on this, thanks

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

It does mean u have knowledge but it is knowledge gained by reading and replying and making posts.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

As far as I'm aware, it used to work that you only made senior and addict by vote from mods and other addicts - that way only the very knowledgeable made it etc.

Now that aD has the auto premote, you have to post over 2500 posts (out of the safety valve) to reach addict. Knowledge should no longer be taken as red just because someone is an Addict. That's the problem with the auto premote..

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yup.. I saw an addict the other week, fresh out of the console wars who didn't know what a stick of ram looked like, or how to change it.

Anyway, what does a title matter. Unicron1.. one of the best hardware electronics people I know is only a n00b.. he doesn't care. We know what he can do.

I like being a senior.. It fits with my view of myself.. Older and skilled. With a wide range of knowledge in many areas, but still happy to learn about what I don't know, even if it doesn't have any immediate use. I usually thank somebody for adding something I didn't know (or have forgotten)

What I hate.. People who jump up shouting that "they know it all" and they have done the impossible. Like running XP on an xbox emulator.. hahahaha.. even gave me a screenshot of the phoenix project proof of concept.. which most xbox modders have seen.. It's a desktop simulation. it doesn't work.. but the kid insisted it was fully functional. muppet! Started shouting abuse when he was pulled up about the technicalities, and that his "guaranteed" guide didn't work, stalled at the first hurdle.. formatting a partition. What a choker.. :lol:

But back to your question.. a title means nothing.. The other senior members and addicts (the worthwhile ones) know who deserves the title.. Good posts, quality content, the guts to disagree with rubbish, and a general desire to save people money and help them get the best from hardware/software.. That's what it takes.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I agree ^^

I would be more than happy on the forums as a member, as opposed to addict. I'm an addict (and reasonably quickly at that - few months over a year), but I am no way as knowledgeable as an addict should be, IMO. My areas of knowledge as not broad enough, etc.
    But anyway, I'm not going to sit here and slag myself off, merely trying to strengthen Jan's point about title's not mattering. What matters is the quality of your posts etc, and as Jan said, with that comes reputation that a title cannot match!

6. deadlove

deadlove Guest

I don't think it's worth the effort. This site is full of stupid idiot children. That is why I post nothing to help anybody. They are not worth the effort wasted on them.

Backtalk and abuse. That is all afterdawn has become. my 2c

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

But, aren't you guilty as charged as well then, as far as backtalk and abuse is concerned ?
    [edit] for that matter, aren't most of us guilty ?*especially me*[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2007
  8. onya

onya Guest

Being promoted through the ranks via mods or addicts votes, would always be sweeter, at least you would have earned it. Myself...I'm just happy shedding the nOOb status. Bring back the vote and no more "muppets"...LOL

@Ripper
    You just can't beat goodwill....that's for sure.

@deadlove, did you really mean to say that? or did someone give you a really hard time? Either way, that's a woeful attitude.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- absolutely 100% agree

10. onya

onya Guest

@Creaky. Can't you use your powers of persuasion with the "boss"? And perhaps make it retrospective...LOL

11. ireland

ireland Active member

as i said and posted b-4 have a rank above AfterDawn Addict
    like (Super AfterDawn Addict MA} MA means mod approved

to get to that rank it must be voted on per the mods....

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I may be wrong, but I don't think many of the english mods have much contact with the admins. Also, it's not rly down to them at the end of the day.

I'm sure if it was bagered for enough though, the system could be brought back..

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ripper, we have contact with admin when we or they need to.

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yeah, I know that you have contact, but I meant on a day to day basis talking about all things AfterDawn :)

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i don't think there's that much to talk about. :p

16. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Lol! Well, you don't know that ;-P

"How's the weather in Finland?"

:)

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

[​IMG]

they're plotting against you, jack.

18. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Will smith or the robots? Possibly both..

Hmmm >.<

/me runs away

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

they're all out to get you, jack. everyone. the only one you can trust is me, the voice in your head telling you to kill them all. :p

20. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Oh, that's alright then! :p