1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion - Why doesnt this forum have smilies yet?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Kulith, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kulith

Kulith Guest

:) :( :S :'( :p

Why doesnt this forum have smilies yet? This has to be the only forum on the internet that doesnt use smilies lol. It makes posts look so much more interesting. All you need to do is add another button to select smilies, or you could just have certain symbols turn into smilies automatically :) .

[​IMG]

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

3. Kulith

Kulith Guest

Yea i guess you could do it that way, but I still dunt understand why its not on the forum, i mean this is a forum. It would be nice to just be able to do :D and you get a happy smilie.

Also not everybody likes firefox ...

4. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

How can you not like firefox ?
    It offers better security, increased browsing speed, free, usefull add-ons, and a fully customizable interface.

But to get on topic, i would guess that a forum this large runs on several servers, and adding smilies would cause extra strain on those servers, they would take up hard drive space that would be better used for more important things, and there's the fact that coding smilies into non-PHPBB coded forums can be a very tedious job.
    In the end, i'd say the only way to find out is to wait for someone in charge to come in and comment on wether or not they feel like making smilies part of the standard forum code.

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

We don't all have the option of using IE junk as well..

The smiley prog can run as a standalone in a lot of web interfaces.

I'm running netscape5

6. Kulith

Kulith Guest

I like the IE interface, the IE browsing windows, the IE links toolbar, the IE7 sleek display. Google toolbar offers phenomenal pop up protection, and I have many safety features on my computer so safety doesnt concern me. Ive tried Firefox and its too mac-like which is ofc unbearable... I dont like it, thats enough for you to know we can just leave it at that.

Also, this is not a large forum. A large forum is like d2jsp.com, 40 million posts since 03, and they have smilies, as well as many other ways to customize a post. I dont really think forum size can be used to explain why there are no smilies :S

So, K_MitNick your right, in the end it just depends on whether or not the person in charge feels like adding them imo...

heres a ss of d2jsp: http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7452/d2jspcustomizell6.png

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

F*** me.. a walking M$ advertisment.. Did I say I was running firefox?
    If you like the most insecure browser ever created that's up to you....

AD is built from the ground up by ketola and dRD, they probably have reasons for not having smileys. I don't see any problems with not having them.. Dare to be different I say.

What is the real point of smileys? I inhabit forums where they are available and nobody uses them ;) so they do seem a bit pointless... [​IMG]

8. ireland

ireland Active member

heres a smiley he does not have on that forum,as it might be needed if using ie-7 or vista..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  9. 2colors

2colors Guest

From alot of the posts I look at we need frowns more than smiliey's!

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

^^^^^^ hahahaha.. well said

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  11. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Smileys? we don't need no stinkin' smileys. Post something humorous or witty and make the people smile, I bet you are one of those people who goes up to women ibars and tells them to smile, without saying anything remotely amusing. (Just kidding)
    We're her for the facts, nothing but the facts and a couple of doses of abuse from our favorite rabid squirrel.

12. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Yeah &^%*(%^ smileys.. who needs em! [​IMG]

13. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

I find smilies mostly pointless. As said before, they would take up server space and are rarely used. Most smilies come under phpBB forums, while I think this is a UBB code forum. I bet most people would go crazy with those smilies too.

My thoughts on what should happen to smilies below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  14. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

The very simple reason why this forum doesn't have image-based smileys is that I personally hate them. As much as I love democracy in many things, in this particular case it doesn't apply, sorry guys :)

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

the smiley getting wacked, that was cool lol.

16. janrocks

janrocks Guest

And there we have the answer... [​IMG]

Sorry.. I couldn't resist just one more... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2007
  17. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Heh, I don't mind people inserting smiley images on their own, but I'm not going to implement an easy way to convert text-based smileys to images and/or to add buttons to edit row to easily add smiley images to messages. IMO, they get easily overused and also make pages look a bit hideous (specially animated GIFs, eww..).

But ye, a classic case of "admin power" =)

18. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Good, the final answer has been given.
    squish the smiley.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, just had to reopen the thread for a second to reply to this one - my sentiments exactly on the frowns :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.