1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help the new dude!!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by grif353, Apr 18, 2007.

1. grif353

grif353 Member

Hi,
    Guys please help, itoday my new box arrived. Yipee i thought but no a big bummer.Its a nokia d-box 1 and it will not tune in. THe guy said if i have the right freq and symb it will work no probs. Where do i get this from. Guys i am a complete novice at this please help. Took me ages to convince the girlfriend we needed the box and now i am feeling a bit of a tit! HELP!!!!!!

2. grif353

grif353 Member

guys even better is there anyone in the Tallaght or Saggart area that could drop by and sort out this box for me it would be appriciated and of course they would earn there drink money for the weekend.

3. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Sorry to break the news but a dbox 1 is pretty useless. It will take a hell of a lot of work to get it going, there are some threads here telling you how but most will say it is not worth the bother.
    A dbox2 is what you are after, and get a nokia not a sagem.
    If you want to update software etc you will also need a crossover cable, some sellers throw them in with the dbox2 on ebay.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  4. grif353

grif353 Member

The dude i bought it from on E-bay told me i just needed ntl freq and the symb which im sure from reading from you guys is 6887. How much will it cost to get this thing up and running? Thanks for such a quick reply! peace out dudes.

5. dc69

dc69 Regular member

the guy you bought it from is probly the same pest thats on our forums sometimes trying to sell these pieces of crap,the thing is basically scrap it will not cost to much to get it going less than 50 bills but you will have to mess around with it at least once a week and its not worth the hassle at all,he lied to you.

there is a thread on these forums about it if you still want to keep it and try to get it up and running but theres no point,sorry to have to tell you.

6. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

@grif353
    Check the backside of the box. If you see 3 scard sockets its really a dbox1.
    If depends if you are able to switch on your brain to get a dbox1 going.
    Average price for a dbox1 with amon cam is around 30 quid. If you paid more and got a dbox1 without amon cam you wasted your money.

7. sidders

sidders Member

How much did you pay? Did you get it from fantastic-offers on ebay?

8. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Post up the ebay number or link to the item so people can check it out.

9. grif353

grif353 Member

hi dudes,
    Yeah got from fanastic offers... fantastic my a** Paid 470 yo yos for five. Was gonna give them to the family as a gift.The dude wont refund or exchange for 2 nokia d-box 2. Told him i would pay postage both ways , dude is still up money any ideas on what to do?

10. grif353

grif353 Member

Item number 250098985732 Thanks dudes.

11. dc69

dc69 Regular member

just wondering how you could have been so nieve to just shell out that much money when you dont even know the difference between a dbox 1 and 2,just seems idiotic to me,also how does that seller have 100% feedback when he is doing this to people?

12. dc69

dc69 Regular member

13. sidders

sidders Member

Gotta say in fairness nowhere in the auction does it say Dbox2. I spent a lot of time researching DBoxes before buying mine (although a Sagem turned out to be a bad purchase). If he sold them as DBox1 then he doesn't have to give you a refund. You can get these working but its not easy. Many people seem happy with this guy (inclluding me, as I've just had a new Nokia from him), people who aren't don't read the auction or do their reserach. And no, I'm not anything to do with fantastic-offers, I just feel that people need to read carefully.

14. dc69

dc69 Regular member

why dont u like ur sagem,ive got a grey sagem and a black nokia and my sagem is far better in my opinion?

15. sidders

sidders Member

Mine must be dodgy then - I have had nothing but freezing, chirping, blank screens until you change channel up and down, etc.
    When it chirps, you HAVE to reboot to get the subcription channels back, FTA ones are fine. If anyone wants to make me an offer for my Sagem if they think they can get it working feel free!

16. grif353

grif353 Member

First time to buy on ebay so i got a rush of the brown soft stuff to the head. Lesson learnt i suppose. i read that thread might as well be a crow looking into a crisp bag. Didnt realise so many had these boxes. Thanks for everything dudes.

17. sidders

sidders Member

You could put them back on ebay mate, but make it clear that they are DBox1. I'm sure you won't get your money back in full but you'll get some of it.

18. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

And nowhere in the auction does it say dbox1

I think he is deliberatley misleading, especially the fact that he is aiming for the UK & Irish market, preying on the ignorant. If I was legitimately selling a dbox1 I would have big notices saying "THIS IS NOT A DBOX2" and warning that it is not easy to set up. This guy also sells dbox2's so knows exactly what he is at, and I have no doubt he knows the dbox1 is useless to UK & Irish buyers.

Same here, I had bought a few and inadvertantly put a low bid on a set of 5 not expecting to win. I won the auction and then copped on they were dbox1's. Very odd too it was private bidding, and it appeared like 2 other bidders bid the same amount as me. I told the guy to give them the "next chance offer" since he would have lost nothing. He asked for £20 and then reported me to ebay, had a load of dispute emails but heard nothing since. I am convinced he was shill-bidding (bidding on his own items to boost the price). There were apparently other people for him to offer them to but he never did.

Yes do read carefully, I got one the other day that is not in debug mode!,

No that is gerryUK, Hallo mein mates! ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  19. sidders

sidders Member

Fair comment

20. grif353

grif353 Member

Guys does anyone anywhere have any need for these boxes. Can they be of use to anyone elsewhere in Europe? if i am getting another box whats the difference between Nokia and the Sagem? they do the same thing?