1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

im back,,,,,got tired of trying to fix the annoying 250gigs hd and bought a new 500gigs pata hd from compusa......59.80 bucks....apparently they'll be closing next week...;).though im back at square one, i.e. i'll have to burn/transfer all my files to the xbox all over again,,im glad to say all is swell,,,,,,finally.....
    so could any1 tell me whats the latest version of AID??? mine's about 3.01 or something and i need the latest updates...

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The latest AID is v4.10 I believe, but I could be wrong. Simply exchange the latest XBMC to the one in the file!

@ harry3000

There are numerous ways to softmod, you'll pretty much have to do it to get it to work. There is a way to amke a direct transfer of an already softmodded Xbox, but it's complicated!

I have provided many ways to softmod, where all you need is one of the three games. You can now use a USB stick as a memory card...

3. reeves44

reeves44 Member

ok so i unplugged my computer HDD, rebooted with CD, (with no HDD connected) when i got to the main screen where you type 1 of 4 choices thats when i plugged up my new HDD (for xbox) and when i continue it goes and does the EXACT same thing, when i look on the disk at the folders and check the eeprom opening into LiveBeta it opens but the serial number is all 0's as well as MAC address, online key, DVD Kit Zone, and Unique HDD Key when i made the eeprom.bin file i opened liveBeta, then i went and clicked on Load eeprom, then save as .BIN and thats what i put onto the CD is there anything you can tell me about this HDD (320 West. Dig.) that i may have done wrong? or anything that i can try again?

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

LiveInfo is just for checking the serial number to ensure it's the correct eeprom.

You don't save it, the eeprom.bin file should have been the one you load!

You take your 'eeprom.bin' from your original drive, load it in 'LiveInfo', check the serial, close LiveInfo and then use that in XboxHDM.

The LiveInfo information should be completely filled in, not all 0's...

5. Jesse_f

Jesse_f Member

Hi all.

I really want to restore the HDD in my xbox but it is not detected by the computer.

Instead of using the XBOX HDD, I am now trying to use a PC HDD but now I have realized this HDD is not detected either using the guide :(

This is what I have done:
    1) Creating a xboxhd bootable CD without any eeprom
    2) Booting the CD without anything else connected. The BIOS is setup to "Auto" on both CD drive and HDD.
    3) A warning "HDD on primary master not detected" is shown. Pressing F1 to continue. Now the "XBOX HD maker" screen is shown.
    3) Connecting the "PC HDD" IDE cable, and waiting at least one minute. (to be able to wait more than a couple of seconds I have to enter "1" (without pressing enter))
    4) Pressing enter and then "xboxhd" + enter

Then this appears:
    No disk drive found on /deu/hda (primary master)!
    shutdown, connect a drive, and reboot.

However, If I boot the computer with the HDD connected, xboxhd seem to detect the HDD. (A string with the HDD name appears asking a "continue?" question).
    Sadly I quess booting with the HDD corrected will not work for me since I relly want to restore a XBOX HDD.

Any suggestion would be appreciated, since I am a bit stuck :(

(Also, what is the reason to connect the HDD after booting when creating a new HDD?)

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The "late" HDD connection is to combat some motherboard features that "lock" the drive!

Maybe your motherboard is the other way around!?

Plug it in like a normal drive and then boot, I do...

;)

7. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

gotta question chunk...
    why do trainers only work on my xbox (i.e offline) but not in games i join...
    say i switch on "unlimited health" for halo2,,,,,it works during campaign or even when playing multiplayer OFFLINE. But soon after joining a game, its effect is nullified....
    and...ehmmm... **cough** **cough**, im not bent on any shenanigans of any sort......just my inquisitive nature..... :)

8. moody2001

moody2001 Member

Chunkhead, just wanted to say thanks for your advice, I got it working on another PC! Just need to get it into the xbox now...

9. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I would assume the online servers prohibit that sort of shenanigans, therefore blocking any modified files...

10. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

howdy chunkhead....
    say you dont happen to know why dvd2xbox would freez at loadup screen, do you??? i uninstalled/reinstalled with AID 4.11 to no avail.....
    sure hdloader accomplishes the same feat, but im most accustomed to dvd2xbox's interface ....

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Not a clue champ, don't play enough games to use DVD2XBOX enough!

;)

12. audogstar

audogstar Member

Ok , trying to build a new hdd for my xbox..

But I keep getting the following error :

No disk drive forund on /dev/hda (primary master)

The hdd is a Maxtor ... is this my problem ??
    I think i read somewhere that Seagate & WD are the "most compatible" but not sure where the Maxtors slide in ( or out )

Is there a list somewhere ??

Thanks

EDIT : well i have managed to build the hdd but go to lock it & end with a message :
    hdd serial & model #'s
    hdd key
    hdd p/w from eeprom
    error : this drive does not support the ATA security spec

HDD serial #
    HDD F/W rev
    hdd model
    security supported/enabled/locked/frozen/count expired

All answer "NO"

root@xbox-HDM:/2

So I still assume the hdd is not locked...

Am I doing something wrong or is it the fact that its a Maxtor HDD # 6E040L0

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Does your Maxtor Drive say "QUICKView" on it? These drives are not supported, hence do not lock...

14. audogstar

audogstar Member

NO , No mention of "Quickview " at all.

I think i will just format & put back into a PC though.

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Allegedly your drive WILL lock!

Try setting the HDD to 'master'

16. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

Don't intend to board out of subject here, but has anyone a clue as to how to utilise XBMC's karaoke capabilities???
    much thanks in advance.

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Jeezy, I really think you should ask questions not related to the topic in a new thread in the appropriate forum!

;)

18. audogstar

audogstar Member

Hmmm well the HDD is already set to master as it has been trough out the whole "build" stage.

It was set for C/S but wouldnt boot into the start menu for building a new hdd.. so had to set to master to start.

have tried 2 or 3 times.. is there any point to trying more times ??
    Can it kill the hdd for use back in a PC ??

Thanks chunkhead for your advise..

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I don't know what to tell you! I have never been unable to lock a drive, including some Maxtors, however I try to stick to Seagate and Western Digital.

You could try it on another PC, but failing that, you'll just have to get another drive!

Unless you accidentally lock it with an incorrect eeprom or lock code, you can't damage the drive. Use it as a PC drive! It's only small anyway isn't it!?

20. audogstar

audogstar Member

Yeah only a 40 GB HDD..

I will try on another PC & then call it a day...

just as easy to find another HDD..

thanks