1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlocking Motorola Phones, An Easy Guide

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by blivetNC, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Due to the overwhelming number of posts requesting unlock codes, I was asked to put together a guide to help explain the best way to unlock your GSM Motorola phone. None of the information here is my own. but rather a collection of useful links and guides I've found thru my searches of the AfterDawn forums and using Google.

Subsidy codes can be purchased off E-bay for $10 or less usually, and the code gets sent to you within 5 hours by email. All you need is your IMEI.

Your service provider can unlock your phone for you, some charge $20-$30 for it, others may do it for free if you have been with them for a while.

The third way to do this is thru a flash/flex of your phone by connecting it to your computer and using the appropriate software, which is mentioned later in the thread. A guide on getting your Motorola phone connected can be found here.
    This is an excellent site for information and how to flash/seem edit your phone.
    Next, you will need to check which version bootloader you have installed on your Motorola, to do this turn the phone off, wait a couple of seconds, then press and hold the *,# buttons while turning the phone on at the same time, a black and white screen will pop up and will show the current bootloader on your phone, usually version 8.26 or 8.23. Now on to downgrading and unlocking your RAZR.
    Downgrading and Unlocking guide
    This is the only Guide I know of which links to the required software, and has a very thorough guide as well.
    Here is the posting from which I learned how to unlock my Cingular V3 thru.
    Guide

And here is another.
    [ModMyMoto

Many Thanks to isaacbomb for pointing out a dead link.
    I updated the link, thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. miss_lynn

miss_lynn Member

Hey there. Just wondering if you had any suggestions on the following:

I had begun to try and unlock my Razr using a USB cable, I went through all the threads read up on it. I folllowed all the rules did everything right and now the phone won't even turn on. When I plug the USB back in the screen will flash for half a second then nothing. Do you have any idea what this may be?? Or maybe how I can correct this problem. Any help would be great as I am quite eager to use this nice razr I have....Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.