1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual layer coasters!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MarEll, May 16, 2007.

1. MarEll

MarEll Member

Hey

Got some dual layer dvds the other day to try them out but every one I try fails to burn.
    Using Datawrite 8x +R DL 'RICOHJPN D01', Nero 6.6.0.15 and NEC ND-3500 and ND-3520 burners w/ latest firmware. Tried 3 discs out of 1 pack and 2 out of another, same thing everytime. Heres the log:

TIA

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The Ricoh media use a different type of manufacturing called "inverse stack" for 8X DL. This method cuts costs and improves yields of DL, and 8X and future DL discs will be less expensive because of the change. All DL manufacturers will probably switch to this IS method of manufacturing DL for 8X.

The bad news is that you may have few options: 1) stick with 4X DL media until they are no longer available; 2) switch to Nero 7 (it may help); 3) buy a new DL drive; or 4) find 8X DL media that are compatible with your NEC drives. The latest firmware for the ND-3520 is 3.07, the version you have already. As good as NEC is, even they will no longer support a drive older than 6 months because at today's prices it isn't worth it. Retailers expect to replace all 4X 2P DL with the new 8X IS DL, and these new discs will probably not work with older drives. Welcome to the world of "progress." I wish I had better news.

3. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

@MarEll:

You might want to edit out your Nero serial number before someone steals it. Just a thought.

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

You can try IMGburn, it is better at burning DL media.
    although if you cant get imgburn to work the options Joe gave you are it.

DL IMGburn HERE

5. Suba

Suba Regular member

I would not use Nero for DL DVD, it has too many problems even there latest version of it.
    Use ImgBurn, for DL it is the way to go.
    If you have image file it will burn it, in case of Video_Ts folder it will convert it to image and burn. Will let you choose where to brake the file for DL burn. Excellent software.

6. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi MarEll :)
    as has been said nero is not good for D/L disc's especially where the layer break is concerned.
    the easiest way is to download good old DvdDecrypter. no messing around jumping from one apt to another. straight forward rip/burn

a small guide

you will need AnyDVD running in the back ground to get rid of those nasty protections

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after it is ripped to HDD

[​IMG]

if it does not auto select the file you have just ripped

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MarEll

MarEll Member

Thanks for all the help, even the 'over' simplified guide lol.

RMA'd the discs today tho. Going to exchange them for some 4x Verbatim.

8. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    hope it helps..it really is as easy as that.
    can make it more tech' if you like lol

9. Epcot13r

Epcot13r Member

Am I the only person who is not running into a problem with DVD Dual layer burning????..Nero seems to be working fine for me...I use Verbatim media...So far no coasters,,after approx 40 burns......

10. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

Nero and Roxio are both very flaky on DL discs. I use CloneDVD2 and have never burned a DL coaster except when I was the one that messed up, or when I used junk DL media such as Memorex or Matrix. Verbs are the way to go.

11. Epcot13r

Epcot13r Member

Absolutely....Verbatim discs are a little pricey,,,but well worth it...I can't say enough about them......

12. Gattaca58

Gattaca58 Member

I normally use CloneDVD2 to archive all my DVD's, usually movie only + a few selected features, and then stashing my originals away.

But I did have a problem using CloneDVD2 when backing up to a DVD+R DL (Verbatim & RiData). It wasn't a case of unplayable "coasters", but a playable disc that froze at the layer change. I had to reverse, and forward past that spot, to continue on with the movie. I burned about a dozen before I watched, and then realized what was happening. I've since being using DVD Decrypter ripping and burning via .ISO, and it works perfectly. Not that I mind using DVD Decrypter, but, it would be nice to be able to use CloneDVD2 to select certain tracks I want to back up.

Has anyone else run into DL burning problems with CloneDVD2? I haven't found anything in the configuration that affects it one way or another. Maybe I missing something. Help or advise?

13. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Clone Cd does a good job on Double layers fast and simple. Chris

14. Epcot13r

Epcot13r Member

I burn dvds with Nero Express,,and so far,,no coasters with Verbatim dual layer discs.....I will let everyone know when I burn the first dual layer coaster.......Is anyone running into a Sony Studios problem??????

15. MarEll

MarEll Member

Got some 2.4x Verbs today and the ones I've burnt have been fine and also played back flawlessly. They even burn at 4x.

I dont mind paying a premium for good discs like these but I I'd still like to get them as cheap as possible. Anyone know of any places that are a little cheaper than the rest for these? SVP have them for £16/10 (out of stock atm tho). Bought mine today from a local shop for £19/10, but of course no delivery charge.

16. Epcot13r

Epcot13r Member

Supermediastore.com is the cheapest source for Verbatim that I've found..But to tell the truth,,you just won't find any deep discounts on dual layer discs...At least,,not till the market expands enough for the prices to come down,,if ever....Nero does a nice little trick...It turns +R discs into -R discs ...+R blanks are usually cheaper than -R blanks....Is Nero the only program that does this????

17. MarEll

MarEll Member

Do they ship outside the US tho? I couldnt see anythin in the FAQs and there was no option to select another country during the order process. Would buy from them if they did, prices are ~50-60% of the price here in the UK.

Is that feature in nero automatic or do you have to enable it?

18. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    dvd's bought from the shop are pressed and not burnt in the -rom format which all players can play
    -r discs you burn will alway remain -r..where as +r discs you burn have the ability to be bookmarked (bitset) to -rom (not -r) which makes your burned disc play on most players.

19. Epcot13r

Epcot13r Member

I believe that they ship worldwide....I'll check the site and see if I can get some info....When using Nero Express with a +R disc,,It will automatically convert it to a -R...A friend of mine told me about this,,and sure enough...It does.....You can probably override this by burning it manually,,but this is one cool feature.....