AfterDawn Forums

switching banned xbox 360's

This discussion thread has 25 messages.

Hi, I have 2 360, yes two, but one of them got banned from live because M$ found out that i did some stuff to it, "wink" "wink", and they banned it from live. So I thought,"hay that not that bad most of the games I play on live are real anyway", so I was just going to swap the hard drive when I thought "what if they see my account on live again and just banned the other 360, even thought I didnt mess with the one". has anybody tried this, like take thier live profile from their banned 360 and put it onto a friend one, or a new one. I would think they would because what if the banned one broke and you got a new one, would they still let you use your profile even thought they caught you cheating.
▼▼ This topic has 24 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
there is another post about this already, format your hard drive on the old xbox, put it on your new xbox and format it again, then restore your xbox live account and start over on your game saves.

Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz 1.4V//Maximus Formula (RF 0902)//2x2GB DDR2 800//8500GT (backup until 5870 comes out)//Corsair 650TX//Under water (30c Idle 50c Load)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/476770 -------> XDVD Mulleter Tut
when i spoke to microsoft the guy on the phone said only the xbox is banned and not the gamertag. i am going to buy a core system and just flop my hard drive back and forth when i want to play my back ups and go online. i don't beleive you need to format your hard drive and start over.

trying calling xbox and tell them you where banned and you are interested in buying another xbox can i still use my old gamertag from my banned xbox. they want you to buy another one can't see them banning the gamertag
go ahead, get the new one banned. the stuff on the hard drive is linked to the console. and if you want to push it try. they made it so everything is linked now, you cant even use your gamesaves anyway. once they come from a console they only work on that console. they did it to stop people from cheating gamerscores.

Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz 1.4V//Maximus Formula (RF 0902)//2x2GB DDR2 800//8500GT (backup until 5870 comes out)//Corsair 650TX//Under water (30c Idle 50c Load)

it is working for me just fine, so far no problems.
i changed mine 4 days ago, the same day i was banned and i didnt format the drive.
Yes ms only bans the hacked 360. I have been swapping between consoles with no problem.

PSP Life ---> 2.71 ---> 3.03 ---> 3.03 HEN ---> 1.50 ---> 3.10 OE-A' ---> What a Fun Little Machine
Originally posted by mikeismad:
go ahead, get the new one banned. the stuff on the hard drive is linked to the console. and if you want to push it try. they made it so everything is linked now, you cant even use your gamesaves anyway. once they come from a console they only work on that console. they did it to stop people from cheating gamerscores.
Im know for a fact that if you transfer your saves to a different 360 they still work with your profile, but only if you also transfer the profile of the person who was playing that game. thanks for the replies also, im pretty sure you dont have to reformat the drive, tried taking out the hard drive and starting up the system then ran a internet check and it still comes up with the, "you have been banned from live" speech, so its probably not linked to the hard drive, what i did was buy a memory card and put my profile onto it and transfer it over to the other hard drive and it goes on live but i dont know if they will just ban the new 360 because of my profile. I guess I will just call them and ask about it, so I have someone to blame if m$ F's me.......again.
Originally posted by fudpucker:
it is working for me just fine, so far no problems.
i changed mine 4 days ago, the same day i was banned and i didnt format the drive.
please give me a shout if your still up and running in a week and maybe ill give it a shoot, dont really want 2 banned 360 or i will be selling one to buy a PS3, its not the best console but atleast you dont have to pay for online play.
I have tried it with no problem so far. If they ban it you could ring MS and just say what happened anyway.

I'm sure lots of people will be doing this and since there isn't a single thread that i've seen from people who have had this kind of problem its safe to assume that it should be safe.

I know if happened to me and be straight on here starting a thread about it!!!

If there was an issue it would be common knowledge by now.
Ha, sorry just seen the other thread below!!!!

That shut me up :(

Surprised this wasn't noticed earlier but i'll be looking into this!!!

I was planning on doing this in a few days time.
Hi still no reply from MS but Xbox-Scene has stuck there neck out and said that its fine:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=604431
as soon as i buy one in the next week or two and if it does get banned for switching hard drives i am going to take it right back to the store and say there is something wrong with it.

i doubt it will happen but at least i won't be stuck with 2 boxes that won't go online.
I asked this question to microsoft, here is the respone:

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for writing Xbox Customer Support!

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I understand that you want to know if you can use a banned hard drive on
a new Xbox 360.

Well unfortunately no you can not use it it will still register it as
modded, sorry.

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to write back or call
1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) at your earliest convenience, and we will
be happy to help you We are open every day 9am to 1am Eastern Time / 6am
to 10pm Pacific Time.

Doesn't sound good :(
Originally posted by jonbest:
I asked this question to microsoft, here is the respone:

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for writing Xbox Customer Support!

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I understand that you want to know if you can use a banned hard drive on
a new Xbox 360.

Well unfortunately no you can not use it it will still register it as
modded, sorry.

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to write back or call
1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) at your earliest convenience, and we will
be happy to help you We are open every day 9am to 1am Eastern Time / 6am
to 10pm Pacific Time.

Doesn't sound good :(

hmmmmmmm why dont you take a digital pic of that letter and put up the link.
You would just see a pic of my pipex email screen. I can if you really want but I assure you this was a genuine message.

I wasn't happy with the response and so I rang them and they said that they recomend that you don't use it because they are uncertain as to the nature of the ban. When asked for an example he said that you could have been banned for having pirated music on your HD.

To be honest I don't think he was sure himself but i'd recommend that you format first.

I wouldn't waste your time by putting up lies, check my other posts. I'm trying to help everyone else on here.
fudpucker why would he lie about that?plus who could actually be bothered making up a false reply from xbox support?jonbest i think you are doing the right thing by telling people what microsoft have told you.

all i know is that is not what they tell me, so i dont understand where it all comes from. i do see this crap all over these forums and can never figure out why people say thing that are lies!
it reminds me of high school...oh yeah most here are in high school,
i gues that makes me the fool.
just because youve not heard of it before what makes it a lie?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 May 2007 @ 15:29

its not what i was told from customer service!
Originally posted by fudpucker:
all i know is that is not what they tell me, so i dont understand where it all comes from. i do see this crap all over these forums and can never figure out why people say thing that are lies!
it reminds me of high school...oh yeah most here are in high school,
i gues that makes me the fool.
and now you say that because we are young we know nothing? i assure you that i have spent many many more hours working on an xbox console than most here have as with an xbox 360 console. i can assure you this, i know more than you would expect from a high school student. and as for the topic, if two people post about the same thing then that would make it seem that it was true, since your the only one saying its not true.

lol... poor lil schoolboy
poor old man who has nothing better to do than insult high school students. poor old man who cant face the truth about being wrong about this. poor old man who spends too much time on an xbox forum lol.

EDIT- I personally just got off the phone with a xbox live tech support person and he said to me "We would recommend not using that hard drive over again because it could contain files that resulted in your xbox console being banned. If you use that hard drive and are banned we can not be held responsible for it."
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 May 2007 @ 21:11

Fudpuker, I don't know how old you are, it doesn't matter to me. I happen to be 25 and so am far past schoolboy age.

I already stated that the guy did not sound very convincing so i'm not in the least bit surprised that our experiences conflict.

Instead of throwing out accusations why don't you tell us what they told you? What your doing is counter productive for everyone.

If you have something useful to add to this topic then by all means share your experiences. If not then go post elsewhere.

I never said what they told me was gospel. It was simply what they told me. I'm just as sceptical about this hard drive issue, if you'd read my previous posts in the two threads covering this topic you would know that.

Considering the conflicting stories the best thing would be to format the drives. Its the most risk free option other than buying a new hard drive.

To be honest mate if you re-read the posts in this thread, yours are the most child like.
just looking through some old threads and found this one,
just for the record, my hdd from a banned system is still up and running on a nonmodded system.

I have lost all and any respect i had for this site!
Ya, haven't come across and new news of bannings lately. Everything seems to be ironed out. Although, with C4E releasing the Xtreme firmware for the Benq I bet a handful of bannings will pop up. There are idiots who are smart enough to flash a drive but too stupid to read the .nfo.

And of course, the Fall Update is coming...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Nov 2007 @ 8:49
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.