1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way to convert M4A (AAC) to WAV?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MakoHazrd, May 23, 2007.

1. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

I need to convert some music files I have that are currently in M4A which is also AAC. I need to convert them to WAV. I have heard that if you try burning your M4A (AAC) files to a cd then rip it back onto your computer it will work and they will be successfully converted to WAV, is this true? Or do I need to find an actual program that will convert them? Also I'm looking for the method that will WON'T generate lose of sound quality. -Thanks!

2. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

Does anyone know?

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

use dBPowerAMP. burning to CD then ripping would be several un needed steps. dBPowerAMP will convert your compressed file to wave, and there is no loss of quality when decoding compressed files (mp3, wma, mp4...) to uncompressed files (wav, aiff...)

check my sig for their website...be sure to install the mp4 codec from their codec-central page...

4. MakoHazrd

MakoHazrd Member

If I were to burn it to a CD then rip it to the computer would I lose any quality?

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

in theory no, but that depends on how you do it. if the burning app you use doesn't have a good quality decoder, and if the ripping software you use isn't very good (you should only use EAC - exact audio copy) for ripping CDs...its the best ripper there is), then there's chances that you might lose some quality.

just use dBPowerAMP. its a great free program and in one simple step you can convert your compressed file to wave format.