1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Think My PSU Is Dead?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Spenman91, May 24, 2007.

1. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Around a month ago I purchased a new graphics card and PSU from newegg. When I recieved both items I installed them and apparently the PSU was dead already. So I removed it and shiped it back and still haven't had the chance to get another. In the mean time I have been using my stock PSU that came with my HP computer. The graphics card I have is a Nvidia BFG 7950 GT OC. My PSU is rated at 300 Watts. The other day I installed Vista on another portion of my HDD using Partion Magic so I could play Halo 2 on Vista and still use XP MCE. I managed to get all of that working and got Halo 2 this morning. When I rebooted to load Vista my computer restarted as usual and then went to a black screen with a blinking curser at the top. I can not get anywhere from this screen, but I can load the BIOS, and I can load Vista and XP installation disk. I have ran recoveries but they don't seem to do anything bceuase I still get stuck with a black screen. I don't know if my recent Vista install has anything to do with this. I assumed it was actually the PSU finally dying after around a month. If there is anything I can do, it would be appricaited. If you think I should go purchase a new PSU Or, what ever else the problem might be, I would appricate your input.

Thanks

2. broodking

broodking Member

what was the brand of PSU that you bought

3. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

4. broodking

broodking Member

you may be getting a black screen because your psu is not giving enough power to the graphics card as 300w is not enough for the type graphics card u have

5. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I figured that. But I kind of assumed that it would have done that when I first installed the card. But it does make since, and I figured it was a possibility.