1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Edit DVD Movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bad_bolt, Oct 1, 2003.

1. bad_bolt

bad_bolt Guest

I have copied my VHS camcorder and Hi-8 tapes to DVD using my DMR-E80H. Now that the files are DVD movie files. My current DVD movie making software (Sonic, Ulead or Winsows Movie Maker) does not read the DVD files as something I can edit. What program do I need to edit these DVD home movies? Or how can I use my current software to do it?
    Ron

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Its really best to do your editing BEFORE making the DVD (ie, converting to VOBs). As you mentioned, editing software is MUCH happier with AVI or MPEG Source material.

If you don't want to go back a step and edit the source files and recompile the DVD title-set, you can do some rudimentary editing in TMPGEnc DVD Author. After importing your VOB files to the "source setup" window, you can choose "edit" on the right hand side and cut out portions.

The cuts don't go in EXACTLY where you out them (there's often a few seconds left on one side of your cut). However, this is the only way that I know of outside of going back to your source material.

Good luck

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can also use a Mpeg editing Program called "Mpeg2VCR" to edit Vob or Mpeg2 files with AC3 audio, I do not think it will edit them if they have Subtitle tracks in them ....Cheers

4. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Ahh...
    I forgot about MPEG2VCR...that's made by a company called Womble....

5. malum

malum Regular member

You can chop up VOB files with Chopper
    Vegas Video takes VOBs if you rename the file extension to mpg but there is no sound

Your best bet is to rip the DVD back to an mpeg

6. bad_bolt

bad_bolt Guest

How do you rip a DVD back to MPEG? I am new at this.
    Thanks,
    Ron

7. malum

malum Regular member

You can rip it into it's component parts with DVD decrypter (amoung others)

This will give you an m2v file and an AC3 file.

There must a way of remuxing those into an Mpeg, but having never done it I don't know what it is.
    Womble editor (mentioned above)can take the VOBs directly and output an Mpeg
    I don't know if it re-encodes the movie to do this though.

8. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

If you have Ulead Movie Factory, I believe that it does have an editor. If you do not want to go through the trouble of editing, you can go to create a DVD-Movie and then mark the start and endpoints of the clip (only can cut beginning and end though). Also, does anyone know of a good, cheap or free program to use for converting video files from windows media video into mpeg?