1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview Updating Flash-wont switch on

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Veng, May 30, 2007.

1. Veng

Veng Member

Hi i thought it was time to update my starview box, the version i was running on was 257 api, so i reflashed the star box with the new version whats out yesterday STARVIEW_H20070426_260eE__api ,

Then last night my wife said that the picture was freezing every 2 mins for 5 secs. then same ploblem again this morning. but not as frequent, so i thought id reflash with the version below whats been tested properly STARVIEW 259 API. when id flashed the box i waited till it said download complete.

Then switched it on downstairs. It came on but then had to switch it off again to switch socket, The problem is the box will not turn on, ive changed the fuse but im having no joy does any 1 have a idea pls what could of happend

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  2. seankeogh

seankeogh Member

im not sure but i have heard of clone boxes completley stop workin and wont turn back on after they have been flashed

3. Veng

Veng Member

Yup But id updated it with that new 260eE__api version every thing went fine but the picture kept freezing every few mins, ive read around on the forums and alot of people have had the same ploblems so why the hell there release crap like this i dont no, so i had to reflash again with STARVIEW 259 API every thing was k with flashing till i tryed switching it on, im not getting any lights at the front nothing @ all , its like the box is dead completly :(.

Just a Warning for others dont flash your box with 260eE__api version

Is it possible to buy a new flash rom for these starview boxes or are
    they set into the board like a chip?

4. seankeogh

seankeogh Member

iv heard the very same thing,that version 260 is the origional flash for starv*w but some boxes dont like it and shut down, i dont know if this is because of clone boxes or not will the computer recognise the box wen ur flashing or can u re flash with a different version

5. Dooby2oon

Dooby2oon Member

Below are the main differences between an original and a clone box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remote is the dead giveaway if your remote looks like this then its fake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Veng

Veng Member

OMG If only some 1 had posted that 2 days ago, i would of new it was a copy, before i flashed it. thx you for that information :) and that would also explain why the box was flashed with the old 257 2006 software.

7. raartoot

raartoot Regular member

So whats the score then with mine, According to the pics, My box is a copy but my control is the real one......

Anyone got the same???

8. Lee1873

Lee1873 Member

Yes mate im in the same boat as you, imho those pics are misleading due to there being a 1st generation box which looks identical to the pic of the clone but comes with the genuine remote

its a minefield mate with from what i can make out no definitive answer until you try flashing it

9. raartoot

raartoot Regular member

hey lee...try reflashing yours and let me know.lol..

I know what you saying mate, I reckon thee must be an earlier edition then the clone came out which looks like the earlier edition, if you gets what I mean... Im itching to put the V3 software on but dont want to damage anything until someone else can confirm it does damage it....

10. Veng

Veng Member

i mannaged to get the clone box fixed, by taking the box back to the guy who sold it me, he had to solder 6 wires inside the box and redo the boot system, so it could have a brain lol to switch on,

i guess theres a war between the real makers of the starview boxes and the copy makers.

11. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

my friends box is real{i think} but the remote is a copy can it still be flashed

12. Lee1873

Lee1873 Member

right in order to try & stop folks killing there boxes we could do with getting to the bottom of the clone v genuine box caper, i really want to flash my box with 3.00 but am reluctant to do so having read all about & seen the images of the genuine/clone....so ive got 2 boxes mine & a mates which look identical in every respect from front & rear & according to the pics already posted will both be "clones", he bought his a fortnight ago & i got mine in dec. 06, after inspecting both boxes externally i opened em both up & heres what i found....
    [​IMG]

now i reckon the r.hand side box is a lot better quality work on the circuit boards etc than the l.hand side also the heat sync is diff on both boxes & the l.hand sides 1 is squint as hell & just generally the box on the right looks better made......

it aint by any means definitive but maybe somebody else could open up there known genuine or for that matter clone & see what they find, its only 3 screws after all
    I & i reckon a good few others could be doing with getting to the bottom of this sooner rather than later or face killing my box with an update thats known to damage beyond repair a clone box

so come on folks open up lol

take it easy

Lee

13. Lee1873

Lee1873 Member

14. magiclamp

magiclamp Member

at work at the moment but I am going home luch time to open mine I think I have a clone only 6" deep i will try to let you know later would be good to know what to flash or not to flash on these boxes.
    I have signed up with a guy on ebay who sends me updates but he does not say about changing the codes had a new update yesterday and I had to still change the codes. Box worked last night but off this morning right pain

15. magiclamp

magiclamp Member

Something else that I remembered is the guy wanted my serial number from my box maybe someone can tell from them what boxes they are.

He does also warn me about using softwarte from the web and forums as this can damage my box I just thought this was to not make me feel cheesed off because I paid him but maybe he knows the damage you can do to these boxes

hope this is sorted soon

I think the time might be running out for these boxes

16. ericwjlee

ericwjlee Member

my box looks like the copy on those photos i got mine from starviewbox.co.uk so i got on to them and the sent back saying there boxes are genuine and sent me the link to flash the box