1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet access

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tkniffin, Jun 2, 2007.

1. tkniffin

tkniffin Member

need help please- -my sister has a computer with like nothing on it - she wants to get internet access - how do i download a setup on to a CD for her to use at home - thank you

2. tocen

tocen Member

does it take an ethernet cord or do you want the internet through wireless access

3. ireland

ireland Active member

does it have a lan on the back of the computer so that a modem can be hooked up.get an account from a internet provider
    [​IMG]

Get a set of instructions from your ISP. Follow these instructions carefully. Write down notes when actual events differ from the instructions. If you can't figure the problems out, call the help number (telephone) of your ISP

4. tkniffin

tkniffin Member

she does not have an isp - she wants to get internet - it would be dial-up because she lives in the country - i know how all that works - i just need someway for her to sign up for internet - like one of those free aol disks - is it possible for me to download something on to a cd and take it to her house so that she can sign up

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

"She lives in the country", that sure tells us a lot.

We don't even know what nation she lives in!

Although I'm making a private guess here folks...

(rolls eyes)

Let's see if I am right.

6. FORTEbass

FORTEbass Member

sweet im sending messages from my psp & i agree indo...

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

all right very simple,
    http://www.firefox2008.com/us/- GO AND GET FIREFOX

weather or not you like it the setup file is small so it wont be like INTERNET EXPLORER,

next when prompted by internet explorer to save or open it just save it, you should find it on your desktop,(the little window with the download progress will tell you the download direction area)

insert a CD-R into a burner drive

open my computer> open the drive with blank disc> drag drop from you desktop the setup file>(dont worry if there is an arrow on the icon it's not the short cut its burning but the file). select the option burn files to disc> once it's done give it to your sis and open my computer> open the drive with the disc> and double click and run the set up file

then using fire fox you can download from microsoft internet exploer 7
    it will take a long time down it over dial up, but firfox IS VERY GOOD FOR DIAL UP, MUCH IMPROVED SPEEDS, TEST BY MY UNIVERSTY

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Tripplite, read the parts in red...

The person still has not come back and told us exactly what "country" his sister lives in, and somehow I doubt that he will, I have this feeling...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  9. tkniffin

tkniffin Member

we live in the united states - and you shouldn't assume things - i am female - and you are quite rude - thanks for the help

10. tripplite

tripplite Guest

tkniffin- ya i dont know why there jumping at you like this, never seen this before on afterdawn, well if you need more help im still here to answer questions cheers

11. ireland

ireland Active member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

tkniffin, Indochine's post was directed at tripplite which i agree as firefox & internet explorer are no good if don't have an internet provider. if going onto dialup then make certain she has either an internal or external modem. have her check for any wireless internet providers. have her check for if she is on cable tv if that company does internet. what windows is she running?

13. tkniffin

tkniffin Member

she has windows xp - she has a modem - she has everything she needs - the computer is a hand me down from mother - mother never had internet - so there is nothing on the computer that she can click on to sign up for internet service - so i was going to take her a cd that she could pop in the computer and sign up - something for like 9.95 a month - sorry this question was so confusing - i just need some sort of cd from an isp that will allow her to sign up for service

14. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

netzero will mail a CD to your sister if she signs up online eg at your computer

http://www.netzero.net/signup/cd.html

Or you could Google for "USA dialup ISP" and see which other ones do this.

Earthlink will let you download the software and burn it to a disk for your sister, or you can do the connection manually

http://www.earthlink.net/dialup/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  15. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

You can call any of the major ISP's out there (i.e. AOL, Netzero) and request a cd and they will mail it to you. Or, a lot of stores like Blockbuster Video keep stacks of AOL CDs lying around.