1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the ds extreme

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Kookoo213, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Kookoo213

Kookoo213 Member

i need to know more about this but no one will explain

2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Try to be specific with what your question is. No one can help you if you don't say what the problem is. What do you need to know about this? Do you have one and are having problems? Are you getting one and want to know what it is that you need to know/do? Are you considering getting one and want to know if it's worth the price for what you get? To sum up: What is it man?!

3. HG27

HG27 Guest

magus7091 is right, what is your situation?

4. Kookoo213

Kookoo213 Member

my bad for not explaining but i need to know how you rate this product before i buy it. its the ds-xtreme and any one who has it tell how good it rate on a scale from one to ten and tel why plz

5. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Taken From:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=38174

Pros
    1 Amazing 99% ROM compatibility
    2 Supports clean ROMS
    3 Drag 'n Drop! No software patching needed
    4 Can be used on any computer O/S that supports USB mass storage
    5 Ultra fast USB 2.0 connectivity
    6 Single card multiplayer works!
    7 Nice extra features - music player etc...
    8 LEDs you just have to love
    9 Amazing operating system / skinning engine
    10 Good build quality
    11 Real English fast product support
    12 Fits flush in your DS
    13 Supports DS sleep mode

Cons
    c1 Limited to 512MB of internal memory
    c2 Quite expensive
    c3 1 unsupported game so far (Animal crossing - Fw 1.0.2)
    c4 Exposed USB port may put off some people, and if really mistreated could possibly be damaged.

M3 Comparison:
    1: Works with just about everything... don't know percentage, link to compat list
    2: M3 does too.
    3: (see above)
    4: Can work on any computer that can read USB (for card reader) or microsd/sd (using adapter or front panel card reader)
    5: Slower than most "flash drives" but if you're patient enough to burn a dvd, then you're MORE than patient enough.
    6: Single card multiplayer, not so great, but still works on some.
    7: Ditto
    8: LEDs... w00t (not on m3)
    9: Easy to use os, skins all over the net.
    10: Good quality, but not what I would call superb.
    11: http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/176 ALL the support you'd ever need.
    12: same.
    13: Yes, as long as the original game does, note some do not.

M3 Cons:
    1: Some unreliability of microsd cards.
    2: Some unreliability of card readers.
    3: If you're not careful the spring can break, or sometimes can even if you are.

M3 Pros not mentioned above:
    1: M3 cards are cheap.
    2: Not limited to onboard storage, can use microsd up to 4GB, and with the size of microsd cards, you could carry as many as you want.
    3: Cheap and easy to replace.

I would recommend the M3 over just about ANY flashcard. UNLESS you want to play castlevania. If you want one with onboard memory get the G6 real. If you want ease of use, cheap upgradability (microsd) and good compatibility, get the m3/r4.
    --EDIT--
    Bullets numbered, and M3 comparison added.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  6. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

I have the new 16Gb(2GB) DS-Xtreme and I am very happy with it.

You might want to wait on it though as some units are playing perfectly, while others have an issue. They are currently working on a new firmware as we speak.
    I had to do a repair on mine and now it works perfectly, but if your not wanting to wait or take a chance then choose another. I believe the ones purchased after May 14 are ok and have the the 1.1.2 firmware on them.
    Mine had the 1.1.1 firmware, and the problem was when people were updating to the new firmware.
    http://news.ds-x.com/ and http://www.ds-x.com/cgi-bin/dsx/engine.pl?page=home

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  7. HG27

HG27 Guest

The only reason I didn't get the ds-xtreme is because of the price and the memory it has. You can't upgrade your memory, unlike the M3 ds simply and R4.
    Though I do like the LED's it has.

8. Kookoo213

Kookoo213 Member

I just read about yhe g6 if you can give some more backgroynd on that product it seems to good to be true It

9. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Background I can think of from the top of my head:
    It is made by the G6 Team who are resposible for the G6 Flash Carts for GBA&DS, I believe they were the first team to make a devive to fit in the slot-2 of the DS Lite perfectly (the G6 Lite)

Their products have always had very good compatibilty and reasonable prices, also very good support in terms of firmware updates. Only downside I can think of is they may promise something then take a while to deliver it (English PDA app, took a while to appear)

Also, the G6 Team and M3 Team are the same people, so if you know anything about the slot-2 M3 range then you know they're good :)

Something you should not believe though is the 100% Download play claim they have, it's just not true, the compatibilty is better than most devices, but there are still problematic games (i think the CycloDS has the same problem)

10. Kookoo213

Kookoo213 Member

which would you recommend for music video homebrew, and roms. i want to be able to play snrs and nes games on my ds but i dont know which one to choose. ive narrowed it down to the m3 simply, g6 real 8g, and the ds-x but which one should i use for the best gaming quality and reasonable prices