1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDFab Platinum (Disc) issues

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dhardman, Jun 14, 2007.

1. dhardman

dhardman Member

I have issues with playback of dvds in some dvd players. If I play the dvds that I burn with DVDFab Plat in a cheap dvd player like a Symphonic I don't have a problem but when I use a Sony the dvds mess up. They stop, don't play at all or have digital gliches. I don't understand why. First I used Sony or Memorex dvd+R's now I use dvd-R's and I still have the issue. I was using DVDShrink and IMGBurn and those movies played in everything but DVDShrink doesn't work as good as it use to and I get error messages. Can someone tell me what the issue is with DVDFab Plat?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

it could be due to your eBay-bought version of DVDFab (sounds to me like you should have bought a proper version ie it's possible you got what you deserve if you cheat the author out of a few dollars by buying off eBay) - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/521767/3155249

It could of course be something amiss in your burning process but i'm guessing it's due to your eBay version. Have you tried downloading the freebie version of DVDFab as a test - http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

3. dhardman

dhardman Member

It's not an Ebay version I just purchased it from an IT software seller who has a store there. It's the real deal installation key. Worked exactly as the trial version and I have since downloaded the latest version 3.1.3.2 courtesy of the DVDFab site. With the trial version the same issue occured. Only played in some dvd players. I don't understand why. Anyway I only use it if I can't burn with DVDShrink. Never have problems with any movies playing when I can use it.

4. colw

colw Active member

Your problems are not necessarily related to your burning/software programs.

Media used is very important - Memorex are not considered high quality media and can be very variable in quality.

Burning speed can also affect playback. 4X to 8X burning is recommended - may take a few more minutes but worthwhile for reliabity.

In my experience el cheapo Chinese made DVD players are more reliable and less finacy then many of the expensive name brands. Some manufactueres like Sony try to incorporate techniques/algorhytms to prevent playback of burnt/non-original media.

5. dhardman

dhardman Member

Thank you! That's what I thought. What brands of media do you recommend? I have some TDK dvd-r's that seem to be working very well. I use dvd-r now because I realized dvd+r don't work in some older players. All my dvd players are now el cheapo because after having so many problems with the RCA player including not being able to play newer store bought dvds I said I'll stick to cheap Best Buy/Circuit City on-sale for under $30.00 players. My dad has a Sony and he has issues with playback of the dvds I burn for him it seems when I use DVDFab Plat. But like you said the speed may be the issue. I'll change it to test to see if they work better now. Thanks so much for your assistance.

6. colw

colw Active member

My preferred media choice is Verbatim. Other people recommend TY's but they are not readily available in my region. I have used TDK on occasions and have not had any problems with them but some consider them to be medium grade.

My preference is DVR-R but have not had any probs with DVD+R.

Until recently, I never burned more than 4x but have recently experiment with 6x and 8x that have appeared to turn out OK.

If possible, limit your burning area to 4400Mb to avoid burning on the outer edges and do not use labels on your burnt disks.

My favoured programs are DVD Shrink with AnyDVD running in the background and Nero Express for burning. Occasionlly use other programs but with over 1000 burns, have never had a failure.

7. JVC

JVC Active member

8. Towney

Towney Member

My 2 cents and have never had any issues.
    Verbatim DVD+R's.

In the beginnning I was using Sony's and was having the same issues you are having.

9. dhardman

dhardman Member

Thanks Cowl. But why shouldn't I put labels on the disks? What should I use to identify them then?

10. dhardman

dhardman Member

Sorry I spelled your name wrong colw.

11. JVC

JVC Active member

Use a "Sharpie" marker, since you obviously don't have a printer that prints directly on printable discs.
    Using sticky paper labels will cause read problems. Before I learned better, I used some. Now when I grab a movie to watch, and it starts messing up bad, I'll take it out and look, and they have always been ones with paper labels. I peel off the label, clean the glue off, and it plays fine then.

12. dhardman

dhardman Member

I don't understand the logic behind that. I thought the bottom of the disc is what is read? I don't know how to remove those Neato cd/dvd covers. It seems as though they tear when you try to remove them because they're stuck on there really good.

13. JVC

JVC Active member

Yes, they do tear. You just have to pick at them, with your finger nail, until you get it all. I didn't say it was easy. After I get all the paper off, I use WD40 to get all the glue off, and then get the WD40 off with warm, soapy water. I just sit there and slowly do this, while watching another movie. It's better than wasting that burn, and having to burn another.

No matter what you use to put the label on with, it's almost impossible to get it EXACTLY centered. Not being exactly centered, means you can get too much wobble, when it starts spinning, because of being out of balance. Too much wobble is what causes the read problems. This isn't as critical with cds, as it is with dvds. Paper labels usually work ok with cds, although I've heard of problems there too.