1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Patching" Foreign R4 to English

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by iRawr, Jun 20, 2007.

1. iRawr

iRawr Member

First of all, I'm new here, as most of you can see. Now, I have a question about my R4 for my DS Lite.

I recently visited the R4DS.com site and noticed that there was a new downloadable drag and drop patch available. Here is the page for quick reference. Now, here is my problem:

Having downloaded the patch, after I drag and drop the files into my micro SD card and replace the existing files with the newly downloaded files, I plug the R4 back into my DS Lite, I turn it on, and I get what appears to be an error message in place of the original 3 touchable icons that were originally there before I put the new "patch" into the SD card. Please take not that my R4 Card is not english, the person I bought it from got it from China, so therefore everything in it, except the homebrews/roms I have on it, are in Chinese characters. So my question is: Can this "english patch" actually update my R4 software to English even if this R4 I have is from China?

I've tried multiple methods as attempts to resolve this problem:

I've tried deleting all the contents in my micro SD card and then putting the files in a back up folder, and THEN dragging and dropping the new "english patch" into my SD card. I still get the same results.

I've tried deleting the system file that the foreign software creates, and putting in the newly downloaded patch. Still the same result.

I've tried downloading the English v1.09 patch found in the link I've mentioned above and doing the same methods above. Still the same results.

Also note: When I put back the files found on the R4DS Resource CD that comes with the R4DS card's packaging, it works again perfectly. It effs up after replacing the said files with the "R4 v1.10 kernel" found in the link above. This is what I've downloaded by the way.

If anyone could give me any assistance, I'd really appreciate it.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

So are you just trying to copy the English software onto a Chinese unit? You are not doing anything to the software first?

3. iRawr

iRawr Member

Well I'm not doing anything to the "patch" I downloaded. My R4 card software right now is Chinese. I want to know if I can add this patch to my R4 micro SD card to make it english and update to v1.10 as well. is it possible for me to make my software English and not Chinese?

I'm basically just dragging and dropping, so yeah, pretty much just copying and pasting onto my card.

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Well thats your problem, I had to be sure what you were doing as there is a patch available, but not from where you were linking to, that link is only the firmware update of the English R4 units.

Patch is available here

Use it to patch the English firmware you downloaded, it should then work on your Chinese unit.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  5. iRawr

iRawr Member

Oh wow. That worked perfectly. Thank you so much for helping a newbie out. I really appreciate it.

6. jk11

jk11 Member

Hi everyone,
    i've also received a DS lite, with a R4, and its in chinese.

i hv downloaded the patch, and hv tried it, but i cant seem to get it right.

i did the following:

1) used the patch on the existing files in my sd card - but this did not convert it into english

2) i've also downloaded this file from the R4 site (- R4 v1.10 kernel (English)), but it still did not work

its likely that i do not know how to use the patch (this is highly likely), and i've read the txt file, but the instructions were too brief for me.

could u help by providing step by step instructions pls.
    thanks

7. raidenT

raidenT Member

jk11

I think what you are doing wrong is your patching your _DS_MENU.DAT contained in your micro sd card. If this is the case you are patching the wrong file, you need to patch the R4 v1.14 english you d/l from the R4 website.

Place the _DS_MENU.DAT from that folder into the patch folder and run the patch.exe. You need to choose patch this file to work on a chinese/japanese machine.

Then copy and place the _DS_MENU.DAT (not the _DS_MENU.DAT old) onto your micro sd replacing the existing file.

good luck mate