1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Powersupply for 8800GTS

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by elusiv1, Jun 26, 2007.

1. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Well, i just got the EVGA 8800GTS and i have my opty overclocked to 2.7GHZ, my OCZ Powerstream 600 handles the power load fine but does anyone recommend an upgrade just in case.. The system is running stable at the moment, i don't plan on doing SLI with this rig becaue i'll most likely be upgrading my motherboard,etc..etc in the near future, this video card has more power then both my 7800GT's in SLI that's why i upgraded, plus there was too much clutter in my case.. Thanks guys..

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That Power supply's more than enough to run an 8800GTX let alone a GTS.

3. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Thanks Sammorris, i was just worried about the power hungry 8800 cards. My system is running stable with the video card at stock speed along with my Opty overclocked at 2.7..Thanks

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely. No issues.

5. danielb

danielb Member

I recently bought a new system with an 8800GTS. The computer shop was meant to put in a 650w power supply, as they told me the 8800 needed it, but they gave me a 550w instead. Every time I play a game and the graphics get too intense, I lose sync with the screen. Im getting them to put the 650w in next week. i defintely would not recommend anything less.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 350W good Power supply can run an 8800GTS, if the shop you use gave you cheap power supplies, make them give you something better. If you're using a cheap 650W unit (less than £45 or $65) then expect that 8800GTS to go up in flames soon.

7. danielb

danielb Member

The 550w one I have at the moment is a SHAW and they are going to replace it with a Coolermaster 650w. Is that a good one? Im situatated in Australia, and the shop is called MSY Technology. I was not happy when I opened the case and found the 550w in there. They charged me an extra $75AU for the Coolermaster, and then didn't even put it in!! When I rang them, they weren't in the least apologetic and told me to come next week when they had the Coolermaster in stock. It's an irritating experience to bring a new computer home, and have it sitting there unusable until it's fixed. Anyway, your thoughts on the Coolermaster would be greatly appreciated.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Never heard of SHAW and no doubt it was a lot cheaper. Coolermaster PSUs are supposed to be quite good, but I haven't used one so I couldn't say.

9. danielb

danielb Member

Ok thanks. I'll let you know how things go.

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

The Coolermaster 650 is a stable P/S...however...it is loud...No where near the 20db its rated at...

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are only one or two power supplies that go as low as 20dB, and that's only light loads. Most units in normal use are around the 30dB mark, many as high as 40.

12. danielb

danielb Member

Tonight they ended up replacing it with a Thermaltake TR2-550W, as they said it was a much better quality PSU and provided true 550W, however after I brought it home, i'm having exactly the same problem. Im going to go back there, but in your opinion, do think the PSU is causing my problem, or do you think something else is causing it - possibly a fault in the graphic card itself?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What exactly do you mean by "lose sync with the screen" - I doubt it's the PSU if the problem is identical after replacement.

14. danielb

danielb Member

Ok. I meant that I lose signal from the graphics card - the screen says 'No Signal,' but the system continues to run (i.e music keeps playing etc.) I have read that the quoted power requirement to run the 8800GTS is 26a on the 12v rail. This thermaltake is 14A on one rail and 15A on other. Do you think, looking at the other components in my system, that the PSU is adequeate?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not sure, I would have thought so. They quote 26A because that takes all the other components into consideration. Make sure it's only your 8800GTS on one power rail, and everything else on the other. Usually though if you get 'no signal' errors the PC (or at least the game) will also crash. I'm not entirely convinced by that Power supply, but another part of me tells me it could be the graphics card. I reckon you should try another PSU, if the same problem, then replace the Graphics card.

16. danielb

danielb Member

Is there any tests I can run to check for faults in my graphics card?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try overclocking it with ntune, that'd stress it pretty well.

18. leif24

leif24 Member

Will my Bestec ATX-300 W power supply have any chance in running BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC2 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card? Is there any harm in trying? Whats the worse that could happen?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1. No it won't
    2. Yes, plenty
    3. You could destroy the card along with several other components.
    Buy a decent Power supply of at least 480W, by a professional company like Hiper, Seasonic, Enermax, Tagan etc.