AfterDawn: Tech news

BSA to give up to $1 million in rewards for piracy snitches

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 02 Jul 2007 5:25 User comments (16)

BSA to give up to $1 million in rewards for piracy snitches This morning, the Business Software Alliance (BSA) announced that you can be in for a hefty reward if you were to report a business or individual that is pirating or using pirated software for internal use.
The new ceiling, a special promotion until October, will be a cool $1,000,000 USD. Yes, you read that right, one million dollars. The new ceiling is an $800,000 USD premium from the current rewards ceiling.

The BSA hopes that the new, huge reward will make even the most timid employee into a snitch. "Businesses often have a million excuses for having unlicensed software on office computers. BSA is now offering up to a million dollars for employees who turn them in," said Jenny Blank, Director of Enforcement for the BSA.

The rewards paid out by the BSA is determined by the size of "the settlement paid by the company pirating software, or the size of awarded damages in the instance of a dispute heading into court." For example, if you want to qualify for the million dollar settlement, you will need a settlement of $15 million or higher.

The BSA also revealed however, that $22 million total has been generated from settlements with businesses accused of using pirated software since 2005, when the rewards program began. That clearly means that huge rewards have not been given out so far, but the BSA is certainly hoping more people will step forward now.

The BSA also once again cited that the software industry lost over $7 billion USD thanks to piracy last year but those numbers have been critcized for being based on questionable calculations.

Source:
Arstechnica

Previous Next  

16 user comments

12.7.2007 17:29

wow if u snitch on someone for that rele need 2 get a life...its pathetic how bad its getting alll theese directors n stuff blaming piracy for their crappy movies like hostel 2 o well

22.7.2007 17:48

now were gonna get a group of sell outs

32.7.2007 18:08

This has bribery all over it. I thought that was against the law :)

42.7.2007 18:16
OzMick
Inactive

Meh, I'd squeal on my boss for $1m, just a pity everything is above board here... I could do a lot with that kind of money, and any company doing that sort of dodgy dealings with their software has it coming. Not that hard to get open source to do anything you need, its your own fault if you get caught using illegal software.

52.7.2007 18:18

Don't most company bribe other companies to support their own exclusive stuff. Didn't MS bribe rockstar a few millions, so that GTA4 has more stuff?

62.7.2007 19:05

LOL, i thought that BSA was Boy Scouts of America.

I am an eagle scout btw

72.7.2007 19:13

Keep in mind, You'll only get a reward if they can get money out of your company. Sounds like a win win situation for BSA, because they'll pay up to that amount....Doesn't mean they'll pay that amount or even close to it.

82.7.2007 20:41

Looks like the BSA has a BSA (Bull S*** Award)

93.7.2007 00:30

So, what is to stop a user from swapping out a bunch of legit Windows keys for blacklisted keys and then calling it in?

103.7.2007 03:11
duckNrun
Inactive

Hey I didn't see the 'report them here' link in this article.... maybe it was just an oversight on the editor's part. LOL ;-)

113.7.2007 17:13

Moves like this will only add incentive to migrate to "Open Source" products like Open Office. Total Cost of Ownership be damned. Open Office can be transitioned to very easily if you already know MS Office.

Instead of trying to use pirated MS & Other big name products, go for the legal ones, that are free and don't carry the risks. Greater competition from those sources will cool the BSA's heels a little and maybe cause better product pricing from the major companies.

126.7.2007 16:17

So now, before I snitch on the company that has fed me & paid my mortgage for the past 15 years, I have to figure up how much I'll lose in stock options & future earnings, and then compare that to what I MIGHT get out of these BullShitArtists to decide whether or not it's worth ratting out my own job.

137.7.2007 06:32

Originally posted by Steve83:
So now, before I snitch on the company that has fed me & paid my mortgage for the past 15 years, I have to figure up how much I'll lose in stock options & future earnings, and then compare that to what I MIGHT get out of these BullShitArtists to decide whether or not it's worth ratting out my own job.
Sure, with a nice executive level job.

15 years ago when I was making peanuts for a low level company that treated me like crap - you bet your ass I would have hung them out to dry. Especially if I would have known about the BSA and the reward program. I probably would have done it for free.

147.7.2007 19:07

[quote]15 years ago when I was making peanuts for a low level company that treated me like crap - you bet your ass I would have hung them out to dry. Especially if I would have known about the BSA and the reward program. I probably would have done it for free. [quote]Lol i don't work but im in school so if i snitch on the teachers for pirating can i get early retirement.

157.7.2007 20:25

No one is going to snitch..

My reasoning.:
the users who want to snitch, will have bad morals.. Bad moraled users, will obviously have also pirated programs.. they could also get caught...
:.

Thus, no one will tell on anyone.

168.7.2007 06:19

Well yes :) I would have to ask about any immunity clauses.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive