1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 7.10 - DVD Burn fails

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mwinkler, Jul 6, 2007.

1. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi mwinkler
    Hmmm haven't seen that warning before.
    I've used the latest version w/ Vision just a little bit - 2x and ok here but try a clean install again.

Uninstall Nero - running the clean tool.
    Reboot.
    Install Nero again - if you like go back to a version that worked for you - you can get previous versions here.

Still a no go and the files playback fine on the pc then try another program. Here's a free one - DivXtoDVD.
    it's just a basic program - no menus like Nero.
    Set the tv standard to the format your in (PAL or NTSC). Save to your hard drive.
    You can then use Nero Burning Rom or Express to burn the video_ts folder.

2. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

Thanks Blinkie. I did another "clean uninstall", clean up, and reinstall as well as redownloading the second file which seems to have been the problem. All is well now. DVD was created but very jumpy.

Would your other solution with DivXtoDVD solve that problem. Also regarding the other two ways of burning DVD's, would that permit me to have a menu as in NeroVision? What I would really like to do is "transcode" all the episodes of a season of a show, check them carefully for jumps, and then create the DVD with a menu WITHOUT HAVING TO RETRANSCODE AGAIN. Is that possible?

3. binkie7

How do the original files play on the pc? All okay there?

DivX might take care of it but the problem if the files play ok could be the media and/or burn speed.
    Plus DivX wouldn't create menus so you'd then have to use Vision to add them.

What media are you using - like Sony +R 16x. Burn speed?

4. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

Files play OK on PC. The problem was resolved with the reinstallation. I did burn the DVD with NeroVision but the video was very jumpy. I burned another with four different files (.AVI) and the same thing happened (very jumpy). 7.10 did fix the audio/video sync problem but now there is this jumpy problem. I am using Taiyo Yuden DVD's.

What I wonder is by using Nero, whether there is a way to transcode one episode - save the transcoded version - repeat the process for all the episodes of one season (22 episodes). Once I would have all 22 episodes on hard disk - I could check for the quality of each episode and then burn four episodes at a time to DVD with a menu without having to "retranscode" again. When I use NeroVision and save a project to my hard disk and use the VideoTS files, NeroVision "retranscodes" again (another 4-5 hours). What I want to skip is this second round of transcoding while having the option of creating a menu for my DVD.

5. binkie7

Hmmm I'm know there are other programs to add a menu just not sure which ones would be best to save time.

I've done a couple avi's with the latest version and haven't had the jumpy video bit but were they either 1 avi or 2 avi's merged.

Try saving 1 avi to the hard drive check the quality on the hard drive and see if you get the jumpy problem.

6. andych

andych Member

I had exactly the same problem but got around it by using a previous build. It took me days to figure it out and Nero Support were not very helpful. I'm convinced there's a bug in 7.10.x.

All my attempts at uninstalling and reinstalling were fruitless. I used all the tools I know to clear my hard disk. Over the weekend, in exasperation, I completely reformatted my hard disk and reinstalled Windows. I loaded up Nero 7.10.x expecting it to work fine again but I had exactly the same problem - those strange "instances of 'whatever' are not destroyed!" messages during DVD transcoding.

The solution was to remove the 7.10.x install and revert to an older version. It works fine now - pick an older Nero install from here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/nero.cfm

By the way, the Nero uninstall utility doesn't work very well. The Nero Support guys offered these instructions for removing Nero:

1) Remove the folder "Ahead" in folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\

2)Erase the contents of the following folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ahead\NeroDigital
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ahead\NeroRecode
    C:\Documents and Settings \"USERNAME"\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision\NVFACache

3) Make sure that you have your Nero 7 serial number ready.
    The serial number is structured as follows:
    1Cxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx.

4) The General CleanTool should be used before reinstalling Nero to completely remove all Nero entries from your computer.
    The General CleanTool can only be implemented if you are logged in as Administrator.
    Warning: all Nero plug-ins will be removed as well!
    Download the General-Cleantool from
    ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/General-CleanTool_7.zip
    Choose
    > Clean All
    > Clean
    > Deinstallation of all Nero products.
    Restart the PC.
    All Nero entries in the Registry are erased.

5) Afterwards, reinstall Nero.

7. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

I have reinstalled Nero 7.10 and solved the problem of it shutting down on me. However, I find that the DVD's I create with NeroVision are very jumpy. I have tried to transcode one episode of Prison Break and burn it to my hard disk, but even with one I find it to be jumpy. I am using very good DVD's (Taiyo Yuden), so they are not the problem. I have tried transcoding and burning the DVD's directly and the same problem occurs. Version 7.9 had audio/video sync problems and I used to rename the two files (NeAudio2.ax and NeVideo.ax), transcode and burn to hard disk, then name the two files back to their original names and burn to disk the files that had been "imported" in NeroVision. That worked well for the audio/video sync problem but doubled the time it took to make a DVD (two sessions of transcoding). I was happy to see 7.10 come out, figuring that the audio/video sync problem would be solved and I would save myself one transcoding and 7.10 did solve the audio/video sync problem but now has the jumping (staccato effect) problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

8. binkie7

I haven't had that problem with this version of Nero - done actually but did have the audio sync problem going back quite a few versions on some files.

Try going back down to 7.9.6.0 - uninstall Nero - run the clean tool.
    You can get 7.9.6.0 here.

You don't need to keep changing the name of the .ax files. I just replaced them and left them alone. Transcoded and burned just w/ Vision.
    The side effect was I couldn't play dvd's in Showtime or have the preview in Vision. Neither a biggie for me. To play avi's you can right click and pick a program and Showtime will work that way.

9. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

7.9.6.0 was the last version I had with the audio/video sync problem. What do you mean by you 'replaced' the .ax files? You replaced them with what?

10. binkie7

Instead of renaming those 2 files I replaced them with the .ax files from one of the 1st versions of 7. link

11. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

I tried to download (with MegaManager) the file nevideo_audio.zip that you created, but I get an error telling me 'host not found'. Is there another way of getting those files?

12. binkie7

You can use the ones I uploaded on rapidshare. Here's a link

13. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

Binkie7:

Thank you. This new link worked. I assume that the NeAudio.ax will replace the NeAudio2.ax file in Nero 7.9, since that was the file causing the problems of audio/video sync. I think I remember that Nero7.9 had two audio filters NeAudio.ax AND NeAudio2.ax. All the other fixes I had read about were always targeting the NeAudio2.ax. Please confirm that your NeAudio.ax has to replace the NeAudio2.ax.

14. binkie7

You can leave the NeAudio2.ax in the dsfilter folder - won't hurt. I left it in there. Then played a bit and took it out - neither way hurt.

Just add the other 2 files NeAudio.ax and NeVideo.ax in that folder - these are the 2 needed to fix the audio sync problem.

15. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

Thanks for all your help. However... I have done everything you said and have now reinstalled 7.9.6, changed the two ax files, and everything works great until I get to the burn. It just hangs there. It shows "preparing menu 1 for transcoding", time remaining "10 seconds" and never goes further. It does not "prepare" any of the files. However the time elapsed for the entire project keeps advancing. When I click "abort". It does not stop advancing. I have to go through the TaskManager to end the program. Any further ideas. I know I am using you as my personal guru, but you have done so much for me so far, I figured I could keep asking. By the way, I have seen a thread about "Nero Most Stable Version" and Gwendolyn says that the best version was and still is the 7.5.9.0. What do you think?

16. binkie7

Not a problem mwinkler
    You can try using Vision again - maybe stopping Vision and rebooting the pc will clear out whatever was going on.

Give the early version a go - you can download it from afterdawn - link.
    Do the clean install bit again.
    This version has the audio audio of sync bit too on some files so add those .ax files again.

When using vision save to the hard drive instead of burning to check the files and make sure you don't have the jumpy problem.

17. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

Dear (very patient) Binkie7: I figured out why the burn on Vision is hanging. When I try to use the menu I had created for my DVD's is when the problem occurs. This menu was a slideshow I created from capturing pictures from one of my AVI files and the music was downloaded from Bearshare (the opening theme of Prison Break). I have tried to "encode" the music part thinking that it was what was creating the problem, but I always get the following message whenever I try to use the menu or burn the menu or whatever: "The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Marie Winkler\My Documents\NeroVision\ExportedVideo\lastprisonbreakmenu.mpg' cannot be used because not all the necessary licenses have been activated.
    Please follow the instructions on the screen to activate your license. After the license has been successfully activated, please restart the application and try again." I tried to go to the NeroBurnRights in "Control Panel" and set it to "All Users" but I still get the same message. I then tried to remove the audio part of my menu and I still get the same message. I had been using this menu on DVD's I burned with 7.9.6 before I upgraded to 7.10 and then downgraded again and changed the .ax files. Any advice?

18. mwinkler

mwinkler Member

In the spirit of being "thorough", I renamed the .ax files you gave me and put back the original .ax files and the burn works with my menu. What if we used the .ax files from 7.10? Do you think that would work?

19. binkie7

You know I didn't even think of that - using the ones from the latest ;)
    It looks like only the ones from one of the 1st versions of Nero 7 and this latest one have the audio problem fixed.

Do you need the new ones? I can upload them if you do.

Are you still getting the activation message?