1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pls help cd drive no work

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by miguel02, Oct 18, 2003.

1. miguel02

miguel02 Guest

hi my cd drive wont read discs of any kind whats happened? it lods then dies.. btw dont say anything too technical pls im megga chow newbie

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Will need more informationt o help you out dude:
    1. System Specs
    2. Operating System
    3. Burner make and model
    4. All in all i suspect an ASPI problem (either your current ASPI is nonexsistent or has been corrupted; ASPI is like a bunch of drivers that let your optical drives work properly)

To determine your system specs; goto Start --> Run, Type dxdiag and click OK. Your CPU (processor), Memory and DirectX version is listed on the System tab. Your video card specifcations can be found under the Display tab under Name and Chip Type. Your soundcard is listed under the Sound tab in the Name field.

To determine your make and model of your optical drives; if you happen to have Nero Infotools installed, start it up and under the Drive tab, it will list all the relevant specifications and capabilities of your burner. The actual name of your burner is listed in the drop-down box at the top (those numbers before the name of your burner are important too!). You can get InfoTools from http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

3. miguel02

miguel02 Guest

ok it says operating system: Micro soft windows xp home edition (5.1 build 2600)
    processor: AMD Athlon(tm) xp 2000+, mmx 3d now 1666 mhz~.
    lol... the thing under display err "device"...
    name :s3 graphics inc. prosavage
    Chip type : s3 prosavage KM133(TM)
    DAC type: s3 sdac
    monitor: plug and play monitor
    Drivers section now ;O
    Main driver :s3nb.dll
    signed yes
    mini VDD: s3nbm.sys

direct x version: Direct x 8.1
    memory:224 mb ram
    sound bit ;)
    device:
    its a via audio (wave)
    type :wdm
    driver
    ac97via.sys

4. miguel02

miguel02 Guest

i hate this shit xp comp

5. miguel02

miguel02 Guest

praetor? you understand what i wrote?

6. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

i'd try to help, but what type of cd drive is it?
    please review Praetor's message and see what you can find out

7. Praetor

You forgot to answer the important question:
    3. Burner make and model
    Also, I stated my major suspicion, it still stands:
    4. All in all i suspect an ASPI problem (either your current ASPI is nonexsistent or has been corrupted; ASPI is like a bunch of drivers that let your optical drives work properly)

:)

8. miguel02

miguel02 Guest

thx you two im downloading nero now ;) do you think you would be able to fix my drive?

9. miguel02

miguel02 Guest

praetor.. it says the drive is a
    [1:1] TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R1002 V1038

10. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

looks like DVD rom with CDrw (combo drive)
    low speed burn
    No support mentioned for windows XP, no updates on www.toshiba.com, probably ok for XP.

Suggest follow Praetors advice and look into ASPI

You could e-mail help in the Toshiba site to see if there are specific drivers needed for XP?

11. miguel02

miguel02 Guest

how do i fix the aspi thingy m8? and yes its a Dvd-re writer or something and its crap... thx forr helping you too.. so you know how to fix the aspi thing?

12. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

easiest way I know is to download and install a fresh copy of the ASPI drivers

WARNING: read up on this beforehand, if you mess things up it's your fault, I suggest read up on this and ask Praetor to clarify, Make sure you have the correct version for your operating system

the ASPI drivers are also available from www.Afterdawn.com, goto software and do search for ASPI

how:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70

where:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...roduct/ASPI-4.70&prodkey=Windows+ASPI+Package

13. miguel02

miguel02 Guest

its my fault? heh i dont care m8.. this comps speakers broke mice broke drive broke its slow no broadband its so crap... any way thx you two ill d/l from those links :O

14. Praetor

I would suggest you try out ASPI 4.60 (1021) before you jump right in with the latest 4.72 build simply because it is all around more stable and more reliable.

15. msheide

msheide Guest

hi there! I am also having the same problem as miguel02 - cd drive wont read any discs and just loads and dies.

Here is my info:
    BIOS: Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
    Processor: Intel Celeron, ~600 MHz
    Burner Make and Model: philips pcrw1208

Any kind of help would be good. Thanx!

16. Praetor

For both of you, try running the CD in a different drive.... at least that rules out the CD. Secondly, check the ASPI thing, get the latest drivers from your manufacturer, firmwares if needed.

msheide: You have a phillips burner. *How do i say this* .... Phillips burners are not exactly known for their quality. :(

17. msheide

msheide Guest

Praetor: I am aware that Philips isn't exactly the best brand to have for a burner, but it worked out great for me, until I upgraded to XP. Now I'm stuck. The first thing I did after the problem occurred was go to Philips website to see if they had an updated driver, but no luck.

I don't quite understand how ASPI works (too technical). I tried searching for ASPI 4.60 (1021) and no luck. Also tried several cds on my other cd-rom and they work fine.

18. Praetor