1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L1nux OS

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mafiaman, Oct 18, 2003.

1. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

What is the free L1nix OS called that looks similar to W1ndows XP?

Or if there are any other OS that are free and operate similar to windows plz inform

Thanks in advance Mafia Man

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

The version of Linux that is the most like Windows is RedHat verion 9. But this version requires a minium of 128 Ram and a Pentium 2. I would say you really need Pentium 3 for it. Redhat 8 you can run on Pentium without any problems. If you have a 486 or 386, then I would use Redhat 6, verion 7.2 will work but might be buggy. Version 7.3 as I just commented else where, I had a lot of problems with. But anyway, in Redhat you can select two types of desktops. Linux is to Redhat as Dos is to Windows 98. In Redhat the "Windows" are either GNOME or KDE. I really like KDE and it is the most similar to Windows. In the new version 8 and 9, you are running KDE and GNOME at the same time, in older versions you need to switch between them. Why switch?, well the newest free software is writen in GNOME first, then when fully stable there is a KDE version released. Also in KDE, you get a full office (exactly like Microsoft office) for FREE. This is Koffice.
    Other Linux are Mandrake, Cadera (Sp?) and Debasion (Sp?). Mandrake I never really liked. Cadera you have to buy, get full suport, but hasn't been updated in long time as it only gets updated if things are super stable. Debasion is for programmers, you can write, edit and do anything.
    Hope that helps a little bit.

3. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

Where do you get this version?

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

THe best mirror site is the Canadian National Reseach Council site:
    ftp://ftp.nrc.ca/pub/systems/linux/redhat/ftp.redhat.com/
    If you are in the USA or UK, I would still recomend this site. It has most Linux and Redhat versions available to download.

5. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

Thanks for all your help Prisoner ;)

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

No problem, I would like to see more people using Linux. The more who use it the better it gets.

7. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

true. Linux is a very good operating system. It just didn't get the big head start and marketing that Windows had.
    My RedHat 9 CDs don't work. It keeps on saying that it can't find the CD. Help!! It not like Redhat 7.1 is not good, but its just I want the latest and greatest.

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

In version 8 and 9 there is a disk test feature. You can test if all or any of the disk work. If they don't or if this program doesn't load. I would download it again from the NRC website. The version there is really good, I installed with out any software but hardware problems.