1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is Real Alternative?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by randwill, Jul 21, 2007.

1. randwill

randwill Member

I found some .ram files I wanted to watch. I researched and found out that these are Real Player files. I downloaded and installed Real Alternative. Where is it after the install? There is a Real Alternative folder in my program files, but there is not a Real Alternative icon in there that dragging the .ram files onto will cause the player to launch. It didn't place a Real Alternative icon on my desktop that I can drag the .ram files onto. Double clicking the icon of the .ram file causes Media Player Classic to launch for some reason, but it, of course, doesn't play the the file. So how do you launch the Real Alternative player after it is installed?

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I can't say for certain with .ram, but I just used it with my real player .rmvb files.

I just downloaded it from here and as I read the info while downloading, it is Media Player Classic, with codecs to play real player files.

I went to Start/All Programs/Real Alternative/Media Player Classic
    In MPC, I chose File/Quick Open and navigated to the .rmvb file I want to play and it played. I know some programs you have to open the video this way the first time.

3. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

It turns out that the Media Player Classic would only play the files while I had Real Player still installed.
    After I saw MPC played them, I removed RealPlayer. Then MPC would not play them. I just reinstalled the free Realplayer and the movies do play in MPC.
    When I went play the .rmvb in MPC when the Realplayer was not installed, the MPC said codecs were missing and had a button to search their site for them. However, it appears their site is no longer around.
    So either you can find the codecs or install the free Realplayer. MPC still is nicer for playing the movies.

4. randwill

randwill Member

So I guess there is no such thing as Real Alternative Player?? It's just codecs that are added to Media Player Classic?

Does anybody know of a player other than RealPlayer that will play .ram files?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i usually play .ram files thru Linux and it's been years since i used Windows for this. However i do use Media Play Classic a lot so i tried a couple .ram files thru MPC and it works a treat. I always install MPC via the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack so try that - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Creaky
    Thanks for that link. I have a question.
    I downloaded the file, but have not opened it yet as I am unsure what to do to properly install. I tried looking at the Guides on the link page, but there was nothing there about installation.
    What is the proper way to install this on Windows XP SP2?
    If you know(I know you use Linux).
    Thanks.

7. creaky

i'm just installing it myself as my current version is a little old. Just click on the downloaded file and let it do it's thing; during install i always choose 'Profile 5: Lots of stuff'.. ..and it's as easy as that. I like the K-Lite pack as it just does what it says on the tin

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  8. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Thanks Creaky
    I have got things working with it now. It asked me about removing a bunch of registry entries, but I said no. I do not know if that was correct, but things are working.
    I found that the Realplayer problem was related to me removing realplayer after I installed the Klite pack. After I removed realplayer, the .rmvb files would not play in the klite MPC. However, I uninstalled/reinstalled klite and it worked. I am guessing that uninstalling the realplayer removed all realplayer codecs from the computer.
    I also removed Quicktime after installing klite, but did not have this problem. The quicktime movie files played just fine im MPC.
    I just remembered I have a DivX player too. I'll see how removing that goes.
    Thanks again.

9. creaky

no problem, i rely on streaming radio, thru my work pc's (one's linux and the other is WinXP) during the morning, as we don't get a strong enough signal for most national radio (via portable radios), and the other channel i listen to is 50+ miles away from work so can't receive that via portable radio anyways

edit- i always just let it remove the registry entries, but don't know if it matters whether you do or not anyway

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  10. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I guess it does not matter whether the registry entries are removed or not as mine is working fine.
    I figured if there was a broken registry item, as the installation said, I would use my registry cleaner.
    Anyhow, just removed DviX and XVid and everything is good.
    What a pleasure to have one player do the work of those 4. (Just thought of getting rid of WindowsMP also)
    I had heard of this, but did not understand what it was until I saw your post.
    Thanks again.