1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increasing volume with Virtualdub or MovieMaker

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fouraces4, Jul 29, 2007.

1. fouraces4

fouraces4 Member

Hello,
    I've searched this site exhaustively but cannot seem to implement the solutions I've seen to my problem. I have an .avi file that is too quiet, and I just want to bump the volume a little bit, especially if I want to make a DVD out of it. I use 'DVD Flick' to make my DVD conversions/burns, an excellent open-source program but with no volume change options. I've seen many suggestions of using Virtualdub. I open the .avi, change the audio to 'full processing mode', and can then increase the volume. But when I try to save the output file as an AVI, it starts processing and says the estimated output file is 63 gigs!! I've tried the same strategy in Windows Movie Maker, but it changes the file size as well as the format (to .wmv), and takes 10 hours to convert. It's such a SIMPLE thing to do and yet I can't seem to find a simple solution.

Please help, and if Virtualdub is indeed the correct software, please try to give me a step-by-step. Thanks, this site is spectacular and hopefully one day I'll know enough to contribute some answers.

4A4

2. attar

attar Senior member

After setting the volume, select compression and make it the same as the original (assume mp3 48000 128 stereo).
    This information can be noted by clicking 'File' 'File Information'
    Install the Lame codec if needed.
    Set 'Video' to 'Direct Stream Copy'

This is the reason for the large file.
    The Video and the audio are being saved uncompressed.

Lame MP3 codec and installation instructions.
    http://users.tpg.com.au/mtam/install_lame.htm

3. fouraces4

fouraces4 Member

Great advice, attar! Worked perfectly! Thanks