AfterDawn Forums

How to Burn or Transfer an ISO using Mac OS X?

This discussion thread has 8 messages.

Hi,

I have recently gotten Mario Play 8 is iso format on my Mac OS X (Tiger).

I have tried to burn the image using Toast but this doesn't seem to work. After researching the issue for a bit it seemed somewhat conclusive that you can't burn Wii images with a Mac.

I have then since tried to transfer the iso file to a PC and burn the iso with Nero or ImgBurn as most of the forums would suggest. Here's my issue - the ISO when looking at it on the Mac (using Finder) is 4.38Gb but when I transfer the file across to Windows XP Pro, the file is now 1.99Gb and so I burn the image using Nero (at the lowest speed in Nero), put the newly burnt DVD in the Wii and although in the initial screen it recognises that it's Mario, once I click Start then it turns black for a while before giving me an error message about a bad disc and to read the operation manual.

I have also tried to change the format of iso file in the transfer so it's mp8.000 instead of mp8.iso but it's still only 1.99Gb on a Windows machine and 4.38Gb on a Mac.

I also have Parallels installe don the Mac with a WinXP OS. Using Shared folders and WinRAR, I tried to compress the iso but this still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any idea how to transfer the ISO file so it remains 4.38Gb on the Windows end?? Or better yet, does anyone know of any software that can successfully burn a Wii iso in Mac?

Any help would be much appreciated
▼▼ This topic has 7 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
1st of all I'm assuming you ripped Mario Party 8 with your Mac. What software did you use for this (as I doubt rawdump2.0 would work on a Mac) You NEED one of the LG DVD-ROM drives listed in the sticky'd guide along with rawdump2.0

If you downloaded it then you'll probably have to transfer the ISO to a PC and then burn it there (as no one has successfully burnt a Wii ISO on a Mac)

As for your problem with the ISO image file size, as the image appears as 1.99Gb, I can only guess that your hard drive's file system is FAT32. In order for filesizes over 2Gb you need an NTSF filesystem.

More on that here:

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt

1. Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

2. In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Important Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Aug 2007 @ 6:44

HI,

Thanks for your response. I downloaded the game from the net and it's currently sitting on my Mac OS X hard drive.

From your response, there appears to be no way successfully burn the iso on the mac...so part 2 of my question - How do I transfer the iso file from my Mac to a PC an maintain its size of 4.38Gb?

The Windows XP machine was NTSF so I don't think converting the volume and formatting the drive would work in this case. Does anyone know of any software or other methodology to transfer the 4.38Gb file from the Mac to the PC?
Quote:
If you downloaded it then you'll probably have to transfer the ISO to a PC and then burn it there (as no one has successfully burnt a Wii ISO on a Mac)
I'm sorry, but where did you get this idea from? All the games i've burnt were on my Macbook and another person on this forum has done the same thing i've been doing all along.

Izimmer, go to your harddrive, go down to Applications, then Utilities, then Disk Utility. Open the ISO with Disk Utiliy or drag n drop it into the left side panel. Then click on burn...i haven't changed any of the options, i let it burn at 8x, while some people suggest using a slower burning speed. If you follow these directions, you will be playing your Mario Party 8 in no time.
Originally posted by amannyr:
Quote:
I'm sorry, but where did you get this idea from? All the games i've burnt were on my Macbook and another person on this forum has done the same thing i've been doing all along.

Izimmer, go to your harddrive, go down to Applications, then Utilities, then Disk Utility. Open the ISO with Disk Utiliy or drag n drop it into the left side panel. Then click on burn...i haven't changed any of the options, i let it burn at 8x, while some people suggest using a slower burning speed. If you follow these directions, you will be playing your Mario Party 8 in no time.
re: burning on a Mac: I guess I've misunderstood other posts regarding this... so just to clarify:

Ripping on a Mac: NO
Burning on a Mac: YES

Maybe someone could write up a little tutorial about all of this for our Mac friends.

Good idea, ill be sure to make a tut when I get the time.
Awesome!

I sure wish AfterDawn's forum had an option for +REP or +KARMA... I'd give ya one.

Thanks! Worked great. Thanks for clearing the myth that you can't burn Wii games with a Mac.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.