1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview clone not working

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Stew61, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

I hope someone can help. I have the Starview clone (followed istruction on other thread). My problem is, last Jan/Feb box stopped working. it was taken back to be updated. When I got it back there was no picture. So they took it back. In these past 6 months nothing. So I finally got It back yesterday.

I have downloaded relevant files GTRom v4.00 and STAR_VIEW_H2006018_257eE_api_FIXED.bin. I use a RS232 cable as instructed. The file uploaded ok. When I connected the box to my T.V. all I got was a blue screen. The box says ON.

Is it Dead? Did I miss something? Can it be fixed? Any help/advice would be gratefully received, as my head is banging trying to sort through all the information on these threads.

Thanks in advance

Stew61

P.s. I think I should mention I got the box from family so demanding a refund with menaces is going to be slightly difficult, also it would be really great if it can be made to work. So I can show them up.

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

When you say it was taken back to be updated who was it updated by and what was the problem with it in the first place?

3. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

It was done by my Partners Daughters Boyfriends Mate!?! I don,t know him personally, But there are 2 others who got boxes at the same time who had the same problem and theirs are working perfectly.

As to the problem, I can't remember exactly what the message on screen was, but it was something along the lines of "Data is being updated". When they brought it back there was nothing on the screen, but the display was ON.

Thanks

4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

When you have it plugged into the TV , whats on the screen ? Can you press menu and see what happens ?

5. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

Right, just been downstairs and switched the T.V. and the box on. The screen went blue. When I pressed the menu button. Nothing happened. I switched the box off and the screen went black/blank.

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Try delete the GT ROM Loader and the 2.57_fixed from your PC , Download it again from the link in my post and try flash it again , let it download to 100% and you get the "Download Complete" message.
    It's not dead cos you still have power in it

7. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

That's where I downloaded the files from originally. I got the "Download Complete" message.

Is there any diagnostic program I can run to determine if the hardware is working properly?

8. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Have you turned the power off at the back of the SV for a min or 2 and turn it back on ?

Other than that I would suggest you flash the box again and see if that works

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

What is your general area and provider info?

10. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

Oldham, Greater Manchester. V.M*di*

11. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yep you are VM, But you are either in ex N**, C&*, Telepest land, we need that info. More than likely ex C&* in your area, but I will await your confirmation.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  12. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

Sorry about that. It's N*L.

13. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

I've just been checking out the GTRom loader and it has an option under FILE TYPE "Boot File Only". What is it and would it help? as I am getting nothing on screen not even a error message or menu etc.

14. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Dont worry about the boot file only.

Please input these codes manually and make sure your key emu is on.
    LATEST CODES
    NTL UK:
    00: 3d 2b df aa 51 c8 dd a0
    01: E2 C9 74 0A 04 22 A6 12

Click the link at the end of my post marked Starview Info Dobby2oon, then click keys. This will show you a visual guide on inputting keys.

15. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

I am sorry but I don't know what you mean. Enter them where? I checked "Dooby2oon" I am not getting anything on screen no ON SCREEN DISPLAY at all. Please don,t give up on me. U*i*e* play tomorrow and I really would like to watch them.

16. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

check the scart lead.

17. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

Nope. i'm using both the Scart and the T.V. out. both give the same result. When box switched off "snow/static",when switched on blank/blue screen. When I press the standby button on the remote the display changes to the clock and the TV turns to "snow". When I press it again the display turns to ON and t6he screen turns blue. I hope this helps.

Stewart

18. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Have you tried another scart lead, also check all your coaxial connections.

19. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

Heres my thinking.

1. Hardware - The stuff you can touch/see etc.

The hardware seems to work i.e. the display comes ON - the TV changes

3. Software - The stuff that you can't see, that makes the hardware work

The software - I can't tell if it works, but I have been able to upload it 100% complete.

This is why I am wondering what firmware is? As firmware sounds like it comes between hardware and software.

20. Stew61

Stew61 Guest

I've tried it on 2 different TVs with different cables, upstairs and downstairs. the same result.

Also I have a Freeview box and using the same cables that works fine.

Question - when you press the MENU button on the remote does the front LCD display change?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.