1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux and DVD ripping

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by couchpot, Aug 12, 2007.

1. couchpot

couchpot Regular member

I was wondering what software is reccomended for dvd ripping for linux users.

Using windows, I was using dvd decrypter, dvd shrink, nero, and convertXtoDVD. Are there similar things which will fit my needs for linux?

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

3. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and R4Me can be made to work with Wine. DVD Fab does not work for me so far, still working on it.

4. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Listen to wolfmanz, he knows what he's talking about. Just look up his thread: "Rebuilder under Linux" here at afterdawn and you'll find a step by step guide about the configuration.

5. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

DVDFab beta 4.0.0.0 is now working well on Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 with Wine 0.9.46

6. Mubuntu

Mubuntu Member

DVD Shrink running on WINE
    K9Copy makes ISO's and will shrink as well. Offers options to only take what you want from the disk.

I have actually found I can simply copy the files to my hard disk. Then shrink them. Lot's of good command line tools like ffmpeg and mencoder. Google for directions on how to do so.

L8r

7. varnull

varnull Guest

Don't blindly go using windows tools in wine.. there are quality FOSS tools now..

acidrip
    dvd:rip
    k9copy
    vobcopy
    mplayer/mencoder/ffmpeg (does the transcoding)
    avidemux
    transcode
    tovid/todisk
    dvd:author
    qdvdauthor

They take some getting used to, but with care you should be able to make a functionally identical dvd to anything the studios put out.
    Animated menus are fun ;)

8. dragondog

dragondog Regular member

u need all that?.....and what about the dvd menus i dont wanna create my own i want a back-up word for word menus and all.....also what is the deal with the movie animal it plays but only sound i get is comentary i get no movie sound and i cant access dvd menus in totem and totem is the only one i can get to play dvds and also stops working if i dare touch anything in totem while dvd is playing.......does linux have anything that works just as good as window media player works for M$....im a multi media kinda person and so far linux isnt cutting it for me...any sudgestions....ps im useing the new versoin of ubuntu

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. varnull

varnull Guest

Linux multimedia is superb.. way better than windows closed source licence restricted nonsense.

Try vlc.. or mplayer or xine.. you are getting the commentary because that is the audio stream your player is set up for.. Totem is a bit funky.. where did you get it from? the install or added later??

You probably are short on codecs and things.. n00buntu is very USA oriented and so is stripped of lots of multimedia stuff you really need. I do all my multimedia stuff on debian.. very easily.. but I'm not in the business of blindly copying disks with all the junk menus and extras and crap I will never ever look at more than once... I leave that to the commercial pirates..

Lots to learn.. you think that is a big list? it's not.. that is just some examples of tools.. you don't need them all, and actually when you install some crap like nero in windows it installs way more applications and background processes than that lot.. about 90 at the last count..

For ubuntu you need to look at debian-multimedia and be prepared to LEARN how to use the tools nrather than just clicking a few buttons and have some expensive or stolen software hide it all from you...

Mulitmedia on linux is way more hands on than you expect, but with the hands on approach comes a much deeper understanding of how things work. Instant results.. no.. skills needed..yes.. learning curve.. definitely. I'm still learning how to deal with dvd's after years on the project.. It's very satisfying to create for yourself instead of clicking a button or two. You obviously haven't looked closely at the capabilities of tools like dvdauthor... anything you want to do with a dvd is possible.. multiple subs and soundtracks.. animated menus.. everything the studios do is possible with a little bit of thought and forward planning. You should have been around linux for long enough now to know that a little google goes a long way... especially with multimedia applications and tools. What's the rush anyway? If you have bought these commercial disks you have all the time in the world to learn to copy them... any time rush just makes us suspicious of some piracy motive. We will help, but we won't spoonfeed you information.. that's not the way it works.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  10. dragondog

dragondog Regular member

ok well im sperementing with k9 looks goods so far xcept the shrink factor im not sure how to mess with that and the help button wont work....i appreciate ur help and straight foword comments no im not doing pirated stuff its im a big learner and i feel the sooner i learn the better i feel bout myself...i got in trouble once by the law NON computer stuff.....but dont plan on getting in trouble again i guess u can say im a goody goody i love cars girls computers and games thats my life....as far missing codex i think ur right ubuntu has so much that can be installed and i dont know what i should have and what i dont need..i guess if u could tell me the basic that i must have i can figuer the wants later...and so ur saying if i want the great multimedia from linux i should go with debian-multimedia?..is it possible to do an upgrade from ubuntu to debian without losing any saved data?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  11. Mubuntu

Mubuntu Member

Click the "Wrench" tool or "Settings" "Configure". There are icons to the left for the various aspects. Pretty straightforward.

L8r

12. dragondog

dragondog Regular member

there is nuttin helpful in there i can get it to read dvds but it gives error at start of burn its ruining lots of blanks

13. Mubuntu

Mubuntu Member

I have never tried to burn the disc with it. I opt not to burn and use K3B to burn.

L8r

14. dragondog

dragondog Regular member

k3b wants a dual layer dvd...im useing k9 to shrink and rip and now trying to use k3b to burn since i cant get k9 to burn but all i have are the normal blank dvds and it asks for dual layer the movie is shrinked to size so i dont understand........what do i do

15. Mubuntu

Mubuntu Member

Specify the disk size in the settings area to ensure the finished product will fit on one disk.

L8r

16. dragondog

dragondog Regular member

ok i used k9 to shrink it 2 a 3.9 gig it now will work with a standard blank dvd.....but now when it burns the back-up it only burns a clip of the movie......i selected to back-up all but still only one clip.....not even a chapter...just a clip

17. hydengene

hydengene Guest

Spammer be gone!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  18. varnull

varnull Guest

and I will enjoy reporting you as a spammer XD