1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with x264 playback / encoding from raw bitmap AVI

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by jfarid, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jfarid

jfarid Guest

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and like many I've signed up for help with a very specific problem. I'm having problems playing back an x264 encode in a mkv container. I'm using VLC, and it seems very jerky, especially when "played slower" using the minus (-) key. This was never a problem with the original file. It was an x264 matroska encode to start with but i wanted to cut some scenes out and merge them together. I did this with Virtual Dub and it saved them in a losless avi (DIB (_RGB) -BI_RGB Raw Bitmap). Now I've tried numerous encodes with MeGUI using different profiles and settings to try and get it back into a more compressed format (with a similar bitrate to the original MKV file) but the colour seems to get washed out and whenever i play it back in VLC it is far from smooth. It seems to be like I'm going wrong somewhere at the point of encode in MeGUI, but i'm certainly keeping the bitrate high up enough.

Please advise!

Many Thanks,
    James

2. attar

attar Senior member

Did you use VirtualDubMod?
    It can save as .mkv

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

VDubMod only supports VfW compatible video. The correct way to store AVC in mkv's is natively which is not compatible with VfW/VdubMod.

4. jfarid

jfarid Guest

whats vfw?

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

6. jfarid

jfarid Guest

In that case, are there any alternatives to VDubMod?