1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie! help needed, which box, in dublin,???

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by CHUNKIE66, Aug 27, 2007.

1. CHUNKIE66

CHUNKIE66 Member

hi, im new to all this, i want to get a digi box to get all the satalite stations in 'freeview', ive heard many saying they have it and reading this web site so have many others,..but seems to be a lot of different 'boxes'
    can anyone recomend which type is best to get, why, and where i could get one from?? and how hard is it all to set up?
    oh, and whats all that about getting different codes etc,etc,..??
    ive been told if i spend €300 i will get a box will do it all for me, no settin up, codes etc,etc,... ??
    as i said, im a complete starter at all this, i have N*L digital at the moment.
    can anyone help?

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

3. CHUNKIE66

CHUNKIE66 Member

four times? have i?
    can you help me?

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  5. CHUNKIE66

CHUNKIE66 Member

i sorry, but what am i doing wrong????

6. CHUNKIE66

CHUNKIE66 Member

can you help me then, have you got any info, or know anyone who has please?
    thanks.

7. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Just try to keep to one thread.

With regards to the boxes themselves it comes down to personal choice. As it is both a matter of budget and ease of use. The Dbox2 & Dreambox are the best boxes on the market, Dreambox is also the most expensive of these type of boxes and the hardest to set up. Although you may find it comparatively easy if you are any way computer literate, as it is ip based flashing, using linux images.

Going to the Eurovox which is the next in line. This is a cheaper box, but I have to say quite stable, although at the moment the newer version is having a problem with N** downgrading their signal in some areas of Dublin. So lets just say stay clear until thats sorted. You may be lucky and live in an unaffected area but that is not for me to give an opinion on. If you can get your hands on a genuine 2006 version I would recommend it as this has not been affected.

Finally the Starview, the cheapest and the easiest box to set up. With the latest firmware installed it will automatically update the codes if the CC change them, (As will the Dreambox,Dbox2 & Eurovox). It is also very easy to set up.

With regards to N**s EPG, they are currently using a three day stream . But believe me if you are looking for a good EPG experience then you need either the Dreambox,Dbox2 or Eurovox, as the Starview is quite bad.

True widescreen is also only available on the Dreambox & Dbox at the moment.

All these boxes are basically designed for FTA purposes originally, and as such have firmware upgrades to allow you view "all" channels.

With regards to key code changes the last one was about six weeks ago, believe that is a long time as they used to change then every few days. The frequency shifted only once and that was last month.

In closing as I said it is a matter of choice taking into account your budget, ease of use and preferences.In regards to support as you can see this forum and its members are quite knowledgeable with regards to all box types and are more than willing to offer anyone advice. We have also got all the software/firmware for all boxes here. So if by chance you do get stuck there is always someone here to help you out.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  8. CHUNKIE66

CHUNKIE66 Member

well thanks for your reply and your help, its all very consise, i will have to read it through again, but i think it all may be a bit too technical for me.
    i have been offered a starview for €140, but are you saying to avoied them?
    i dont paying a little more for reliabilty and quality.

thanks again for you help and reply,
    sorry for earlier mix up.

oh and sorry for delay, but because im new to this site its limiting my posts.

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

If you have been offered a Starview make sure it is the Starview 2, it is simply called "The Box". Reason I say this is because for the price you have been offered for a Starview it sounds like a clone/copy version. Worth spending the few quid extra and getting "The Box". From what I can see from your reply this is the easiest box for you to set up. If you need any assitance setting it up there are lots of people here to help you out.

10. CHUNKIE66

CHUNKIE66 Member

hi, the starview ive been offered is the first one, june 2007 v4.0, for €140, is that no good then?
    is the one that you're recomending the starview 2'box'? how much are they and do you know, recomend a seller, on ebay maybe?
    oh, and they work in ireland with n*l yea?
    the other ones you mentioned, dbox2 & dreambox, are they so much better, and how much more in price? again, ok for n*l in ireland?
    i dont mind trying to tackle setting up a better more complicated one,....famous last words eh! LOL
    sorry if this is all basic boring stuff to you.
    thanks for your help.

11. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

PM sent check your private messages at the top of your screen.