AfterDawn: Tech news

Memorex offers Labelflash DVDs

Written by James Delahunty @ 12 Sep 2007 7:16 User comments (11)

Memorex offers Labelflash DVDs Memorex has expanded its optical media products with the addition of Labelflash. LabelFlash DVD media enables the consumer to use this advanced technology to create custom high-resolution DVD disc designs. Using a labelflash-enabled drive and media, Consumers and prosumers alike can now create custom photo and video DVDs in sharp, deep blue, monochromatic designs.
"Labelflash is the elite solution for consumers and prosumers seeking to add finely detailed disc designs to their keepsake DVDs," said Carla Pihowich, director of marketing, Imation. "With Labelflash DVD-Rs, consumers have another solution to take their digital creations to a new level of design and personalization that can resist damage from smudges, scratches and the test of time."

Labelflash DVDs include a specialized dye layer which interacts with the laser in a Labelflash-enabled DVD drive to produce high resolution designs on the label side of a DVD. Simply burn data onto the disc, flip it over, and the Labelflash drive creates unique prints in varying shades of blue without a printer, labels or ink. Because the Labelflash dye layer is positioned below the polycarbonate disc surface, Memorex Labelflash DVD-Rs are highly durable and provide superior resistance to smudging and scratching

Source:
Press Release

Previous Next  

11 user comments

112.9.2007 20:32

Quote:
keepsake DVDs
Given my past experience with Memorex, this means that I can now put some nifty designs or logos on my coasters.

I forget who has this in their sig, but I laugh every time I see "Memorex, protecting coffee tables everywhere."

212.9.2007 20:45

Sounds like lightscribe to me just with a different name. Hope it's alot cheaper than lightscribe was when it first came out.

312.9.2007 20:50

Just found this from their web site.

Quote:
Suggested retail pricing is $14.99 for a 10-pack of Memorex Labelflash DVD-R media.

412.9.2007 21:26

lightscribe anyone? :D

513.9.2007 06:20

Labelflash? KMON!!!!!

This totally sux. Monocomatic poopy images! You know they have full color in the works. How will these discs even work since most new computers are coming out with Lightscribe Technology. And look at the price! What a rip off.

In the age of high res HD content, you have this primitive one color disc labeling technology. Maybe Ill burn some of these discs to backup my DVD movies and then watch them on my 13 inch Black and White TV.

All you need is an Epson printer, some generic carts, and some blank media from supermediastore and you are set. I bet it comes out cheaper than the labelflash/lightscribe junk.

I think most people shy away from this because the inkjet printable media in retail stores is too expensive.

613.9.2007 08:31
emugamer
Inactive

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
lightscribe anyone? :D
lol...I would prefer blue over poop color. But it is Memorex......the only time I've burned a Memorex DVD was in my fireplace.

713.9.2007 23:43
HDextreme
Inactive

Quote:
the only time I've burned a Memorex DVD was in my fireplace.
I betcha it still didn't burn... probably just sat there, smelling like a piece of hot $hit. Memosux! LOL

814.9.2007 10:46

I guarantee you that 90 percent of these disc fail to burn in the image.

914.9.2007 17:45

Quote:
Memorex
That should explain it all. I personally would not go for any of their products.

1014.9.2007 20:57

For people like me there is no use for such media or the drives.

I strictly use RW media. I use erasable labels from LabelOnce.

As it is the RW media costs less than this so called Labelflash media. I buy 4.5 gb 4X dvd+rw for around US$ 1.15 each in individual case. If I want to permanently mark any media I simply use a different label. It also protects it.

1116.9.2007 11:03

hahaha emugamer, let me guess the fireplace gave an unspecified write error at 90% and the disk got ejected from the fire with only partial burn marks hahahha.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive