1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd identifier problem

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by redux79, Sep 14, 2007.

1. redux79

redux79 Regular member

I have 5 or 6 different brands of media that I backed up my DVD collection on. Some are almost guaranteed to have crc errors in the future and others i'm not sure about. I only use verbatim now and even though they're from Taiwan i’m trying to find some software to help me get the actual manufacturer code.

The Nero 7 info tool will only tell me the size of discs for some reason while the rest of the info is listed as NA. I downloaded and installed DVD identifier today unfortunately it gives me the following error.

[15:53:36] DVD Identifier V5.0.1
    [15:53:36] Initializing Drive Interface [Auto-Select ASPI/SPTI]
    [15:53:36] SPTI Drive Interface Successfully Initialized
    [15:53:36] 1 Supported Drive Found (Out Of 2 Available Drives)
    [15:53:36] Manufacturer Database [08-OCT-06@727$93] Loaded From File : (@727$93) Entries Found
    [15:53:36] Internet Version Check Postponed Since Last Check Happened Less Than 1 Hour Ago
    [15:54:23] DVD+R/+RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification...
    [15:54:23] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
    [15:54:23] ERROR : ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [15:54:23] INFO : ADIP Read Method 1 Not Supported ; Method 2 Will Be Attempted
    [15:54:23] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 2 (Copy Of ADIP)
    [15:54:23] ERROR : ADIP Read M2 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [15:54:23] INFO : ADIP Read Method 2 Requires A Written DVD+R/+RW Disc
    [15:54:23] Disc Identification Did Not Complete Successfully

I went through the help options, but it seems there's a possibility I could affect different aspects of my pc by turning on/off certain options. Any help from someone familiar with this software or suggestions for similar programs would be much appreciated.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi redux79
    What's the make and model of the drive? Looks like the media id on these Verbs is not in the drives firmware - reason you are getting the error in DVD Identifier and Nero doesn't give any info either.
    A firmware update - if available - could help.

3. redux79

redux79 Regular member

Well I was trying to identify blank media which gave the error, so I decided to try some older burned DVD’s and it worked. Coded out fine and used the link to videohelp.com to see how they stacked up. I actually had a couple of fugifilms that were really taiyo yuden's.

My two drives are
    LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163
    _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A this is my burning drive and the only one DVD identifier recognizes
    [18:39:59] 1 Supported Drive Found (Out Of 2 Available Drives)
    [19:06:10] ERROR : ADIP Read M1 Failed : Illegal request - Invalid field in CDB [05/24/00]
    [19:06:10] ADIP Read Method 2 Completed Without Errors

I never realized how old my firmware was, I thought I had updated it when I reinstalled windows a few years back but apparently it’s from 2001... That’s how old the pc is. I'm assuming that’s why DVD identifier only supports one of my drives and only reads burned DVD’s. I’ve never had a problem burning movies, cd's, ect... but I don't see how the original firmware could last this long. Is it true that you can kill your drives if you somehow update the wrong firmware? I’ve heard a couple of horror stories so that’s why i’ve been holding out until I ran into a problem.

4. binkie7

What speed are the Verbs rated at - 16x?
    The NEC is an older drive that might not have the media codes for 16x media. The last firmware update was around 2005 maybe earlier.
    It looks like that's why you are getting the error.
    The drive will use a generic write pattern when burning. May or may not be successful. But if your doing fine w/ them then stick w/ the Verbs.

Here's a link to the latest - 1.93.
    Yes updating can fry your drive but a slim chance. As long as you keep the power on, have no discs in the drive and close any running programs you should be fine.
    The 2001 thing your looking at is the Windows driver which is different from firmware - your fine there.

5. redux79

redux79 Regular member

The verbatims im using are 16x. I can only burn at 2.4x so it takes a little over a half an hour to burn with Nero using advanced analysis and high quality mode. I’ve never actually had a problem burning DVD’s; I just wanted to see if any of my older Memorex/generic discs could have crc errors in the future.

Thanks for the link to the firmware update and explaining the whole windows thing (smacks self in head). It usually takes a couple days to get a response on these boards so I really appreciate your quick reply.

Thanks again
    -newb still in training

6. binkie7

You're welcome redux79
    The only being able to burn at 2.4x is another indication that the drive doesn't have the media id in the firmware.
    If you need the the stuff you burned on those generic ones and Memorex I would reburn them - I did and most just in time :)