AfterDawn Forums

How do you charge the psp with a normal USB cable?

This discussion thread has 15 messages.

chaosnova Suspended account
Title. The house is being renovated, so I lost my charger in the process... and I really really want to play the new final fantasy, so can someone please tell me if it is possible to use a normal USB cable and my computer to charge my PSP? Thanks a lot!
▼▼ This topic has 14 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
I think there is a special psp charger to charge via USB, but you'd be better off buying a new wall charger.

Does anorexia induce constipation?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ive become so paranoid, that Im paranoid about my paranoia....
with the regular psp, it won't work; it can only do transfers. but if you have a psp slim, it will charge.

ps2: v7 scph-39001 - independence exploit - hdloader 0.8c - maxtor 300gb hdd
(+[__]%) psp slim ta-085v1: 6.60 PRO B10
wii (powered by bootmii/priiloader): 4.1u - d2x v10beta53-alt (base 56) - configurable usb loader v70r51/devolution r188 - wd scorpio black 7200rpm 320gig w/ ams venus ds2 enclosure

got a whole lot more to list . . .
damnit, any alternatives, like a program that can facilitate such power for my old PSP?
the usb port on the old psp wasn't designed with charging in mind, it was transfers only. but on the psp slim, it was redesigned to be able to charge and transfer.

best bet is to bum off a friend to charge or to get a second charger
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Sep 2007 @ 18:48

wii (powered by bootmii/priiloader): 4.1u - d2x v10beta53-alt (base 56) - configurable usb loader v70r51/devolution r188 - wd scorpio black 7200rpm 320gig w/ ams venus ds2 enclosure

there's a usb data and charge cable, and it's like 9 + tax bucks you shoudl get a wall charger anyway you are going to need one anyway.
F man... my view of afterdawn's expertise just went down a level. I'd expect someone to pop up a reliable link telling me a good place to download something that could aid my problem, but it seems that I've been failed.
downloading a program wouldn't work. the usb port does not provide power to the system. like leadbaron and chaos_zzz suggested, there are usb cables designed to charge and link. it's not a regular usb cable; it has plugs that goes into the usb port and power socket.

^^Which will cost you about as much as a regular wall charger, so theres no point.

Does anorexia induce constipation?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ive become so paranoid, that Im paranoid about my paranoia....
XTurboX Suspended due non-functional email address

psp history: 2.8<3.52<traded wit cuzin<2.0<1.5<3.52m33<3.52m33-4<bricked it< 1.5<3.52m33<3.52m33-4
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.65

It doesn't do any good trying to force answers out of people who try to help you by insulting them.
Allegro, thanks a lot, and sorry.

Just by curiosity, is this site's shipping COMPLETELY free?

Secondly, that link you gave me.. the usb works, but people report the charger not charging... I browsed the site for like an hour looking for a charger, but to no avail. Still, I really love what this site has!

If its shipping is 100% free, it's going on my top sites ever list.
I bought a car charger that has a USB plug on the end. I still have to plug into the charging port on the PSP but I can charge it off my PC now.
you can always take a USB cable and cut it
strip the red , and the black.
twist the other wires together and tape em.
look at the bottom of the PSP and look at the exposed metal tabs
red to positive
black to negative
(the symbol on the side shows the corresponding connections)
or you can cut a charge tip off another dead charger and fix red to red and black to black

hope that helps

treason upon one's self, is the path to self extinction.
Originally posted by chaosnova:
Allegro, thanks a lot, and sorry.

Just by curiosity, is this site's shipping COMPLETELY free?

Secondly, that link you gave me.. the usb works, but people report the charger not charging... I browsed the site for like an hour looking for a charger, but to no avail. Still, I really love what this site has!

If its shipping is 100% free, it's going on my top sites ever list.
Don't try to charge with the PSP's USB port, use the USB plug to draw power to the PSP's charging jack (unless your charging jack is broken),

Yes shipping is completely free, but it took over 8 days to process my order, it allegedly shipped via air mail on the 28th and my order still hasn't arrived.

Like the website states, it's cheap gadgets from China so be prepared to get "junk" once in a while. I read that some of their huge capacity PSP batteries have no more capacity than the standard battery so I just bought the standard one and for $7, even if it is a cheap knock off of the Sony, it's good enough.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.