1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Setup wireless with your Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Sep 20, 2007.

1. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

[​IMG]

Yep, the day is upon us where wireless is cheap and wires are a pain in the ass. Let's make it happen!

Whilst this guide is biased towards my personal setup, the principles should ring true regarding all types of configurations.

It took me quite a while to work out the kinks so feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to help you out!

I am running Vista, however you should get the idea of what you have to do in XP...

What do we need?

* Wireless router (much cheaper then the 'Gaming Adapters')
    I purchased a Netgear WGR614 for AU$55.

[​IMG]

* Wireless Adapter (I used a USB)
    I purchased a Netgear WG111 for AU$25

[​IMG]

Getting Started...

Ok, lets clear a few things up first. This tutorial will not be in baby steps. I will assume that you have some understanding of a wired network. If not, that tutorial can be found HERE

The router needs to be configured on the PC first, before its eventual home next to your Xbox. This will be our first step.

This is what our final setup will look like...

[​IMG]

My home network is on the 10.1.1.x network, the new wireless router is defaulted to 192.168.1.1

This just isn't going to work, we'll need to change it (skip this if you are on the 192.168.1.x network already)

Plug the router into your PC ethernet port in place of whichever existing setup you have (this is temporary, make a note of the original settings, eg. My PC IP is 10.1.1.3). Now, in your TCP/IP settings, change the setting to Auto.

[​IMG]

With that now set and the router powered up, click on your Internet Explorer or Firefox and the router screen should pop up (192.168.1.1 if it doesn't)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it, apply all the settings, disconnect the router, bring it over and plug it up to the Xbox.

Now we can install the USB adapter! Simply insert the CD and follow the instructions. When that's all done, we only have one more thing to do, bridge your connections.

From XP this is easy, but Vista hides this option.

Type 'ncpa.cpl' into a run command.

[​IMG]

You'll get this screen, highlight the two connections and click 'Bridge Connections'

[​IMG]

After a while the connection will become active, but won't work.

We have one more small task to do.

Right-Click on the 'Network Bridge' and within the TCP\IP properties, re-instate the original static settings (eg 10.1.1.3).

That's all the hardware done.

If you were already running a wired setup on your Xbox, you won't need to change a thing. If you weren't then you'll need to setup the Xbox network settings just like you would if it was wired!

Easy huh?

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Basically this setup is just straight wireless without and ISP provider? I got to get me one of these, they are real cheap at amazon.com

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

This works fantastic! I have since changed the Encryption to 'Disabled' and have enabled MAC Address filtering instead, to keep overheads low! I was having some wireless dropouts!

All working smooth now!

4. daza22

daza22 Member

Okay, I followed you over to the wireless thread, what is my next step?

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Thanks for the move, appreciate it!

Anyway, try this...

1. Set up a Router Connection from your wireless router to the Internet.
    2. According to your router manufacturer’s instructions, write down the SSID and channel of your wireless router. If you are unfamiliar with your router's SSID and channel, see your router documentation.
    3. According to your adapter manufacturer's instructions, connect your wireless-to-Ethernet bridge to your Xbox console.
    4. From the Xbox Dashboard, select Settings, Network Settings, Advanced, and Wireless.
    5. From the Wireless Status screen, select Settings.
    6. Your router can be configured to either broadcast or not broadcast its SSID. If your router is configured to broadcast its SSID, see step 6a below.
    If it is configured to not broadcast its SSID, see step 6b below. The Xbox Dashboard will list the SSIDs that your Xbox Compatible wireless bridge finds.
    If the Xbox Dashboard doesn’t show your router's SSID, your router isn’t broadcasting the SSID.

a.If the SSID is broadcast, select the SSID (written down instep 2) of your wireless router from the list of SSIDs in the Select Network screen.
    b.If the SSID is not broadcast, select OTHER from the list on the Select Network screen.Then enter the SSID (written down in step 2) using the Xbox Dashboard virtual keyboard.
    7. From the Wireless Settings screen, select Network Mode as Infrastructure.
    Select Security Type and configure the Xbox Compatible wireless bridge with the same security settings (NONE,64-bit WEP, or 128-bit WEP) as your wireless router.
    8. Press A to save the new settings, and then B to go back.
    9. From the Wireless Status screen, check that your Xbox console is connected to the network name (SSID) specified in Step 6.
    10. Press B twice to go back. From the Network Settings screen, select Connect to connect to XboxLive.
    11. From the Connect Status screen, verify that the Xbox console connects to Xbox Live.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  6. daza22

daza22 Member

I all ready havea wireless connection to my router as I am using to write this to you. I know the ssid and the channel. I have subsequently set this up on the xbox. I choose the wireless option and it says that it has a good connection. I back out to try and connect to Live and no dice. It seems as though this is a no win situation. I do appreciate your help and any other solutions you can think of.

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

If your connection is live, then I don't know what to tell you!? Maybe your Live software is corrupt? Have you tried updating it?

8. daza22

daza22 Member

The installation disk that came with the adapter has a live update. So unless the Live up date on the disk is corrupt, then I am not sure myself. I guess I will try to wire the XBOX to the router as I have had set up working.

9. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

10. daza22

daza22 Member

Have found myself some time so I am giving this another look. I have reviewed the literature straight from Xbox regarding the network bridge / adapter and I have followed all of there instructions and still no connection. I have tried all of the variations of the IP addresses that I have for my ISP as well as the IP addresses for my router and still no connection however the newest information that I have is that when I try to connect to XBOX Live it says that the gateway cannot be reached. The funny part is like I said before when you go to configure the wireless, it says that it is connected. I did try the ISC but that did not work for me either. Any suggestions?

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Can you ping from the PC to the Xbox?

12. daza22

daza22 Member

My computer savy brother is home for the holidays and he was able to get it all working. It was a simple mistake by me, not having the correct security key! How dumb to I feel. Thanks for your help.

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Tee Hee! Always the simple ones!

;)

14. Sci4711

Sci4711 Guest

will my xbox have internet access like xlink kai and youtube (vai XBMC) and stuff like that

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

As long as your PC that it's connecting to has internet, then yes!

16. Sci4711

Sci4711 Guest

Awesome Got Try This

17. McPhilby

McPhilby Member

Would it be possible to use a RJ45 male to USB female converter attached to the xbox and then just plug in a usb wireless adapter?

18. 3lement

3lement Regular member

Would i be able to turn a dlink router into a network adapter to hook up to a netgear router? Let me clarify. I have a wireless home network. A netgear wndr router. I want to turn my old dlink router into a network adapter to hook to the netgear. any way to do this or do i have to have a usb adapter? Any help would be appreciated. thnx