AfterDawn Forums

MPEG vs. WMV

This discussion thread has 12 messages.

Schwaber Suspended due non-functional email address
which of the two formats are better in terms of quality? I know that WMV has better compression than MPEG but that doesn't really matter to me. All I want know is who has the better quality in the end? I already google it and found no answer.
▼▼ This topic has 11 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
here is a little bit of info on the topic. hope is sheds some light on the topic.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=947928

from what i gather, MPEG4 produces a better image.

Originally posted by Schwaber:
which of the two formats are better in terms of quality? I know that WMV has better compression than MPEG but that doesn't really matter to me. All I want know is who has the better quality in the end? I already google it and found no answer.
Mpeg2 is DVD compliant. WMV is not, so it all depends what you are actually doing with the files.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce - Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
Computer: Intel Core i7-920 Nehalim;Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Am trying to upload my videos to veoh..
Originally posted by gozilla:
here is a little bit of info on the topic. hope is sheds some light on the topic.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=947928

from what i gather, MPEG4 produces a better image.
hey, I already saw that when I googled the difference between these two formats. Am not satisfied and needs more explanation and that is why I decided to post this topic here in afterdawn.
Since seeing is believing why not try both and use the one that looks the best to you?

Originally posted by LOCOENG:
Since seeing is believing why not try both and use the one that looks the best to you?
yea I already tried that so many times now but I still couldn't figure out which format is better for veoh... LOL
Phlax Suspended due non-functional email address
For online streaming I really can't see it making that much difference, but I'd choose MPEG for compatibility reasons.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Sep 2007 @ 12:41

Phlax - Still kickin'
Originally posted by Phlax:
For online streaming I really can't see it making that much difference, but I'd choose MPEG for compatibility reasons.
Ok, thanks for that little insight :D
Well, unless the site you wish to upload to has a restriction on files types, then my previous point still stands :-)

Phlax - Still kickin'
Originally posted by Phlax:
Well, unless the site you wish to upload to has a restriction on files types, then my previous point still stands :-)
yea, there is no limit for the video size so I'll probably just choose mpeg eh?
I was thinking for format wise, but yeah, MPEG sounds good to me.

Phlax - Still kickin'
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.